Educating Doctors about NSAIDs

alaskasusan
on 5/7/17 2:12 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

As has been mentioned here many times, aspirin and NSAIDs are a firm no for RNY folks. This post is mainly for new RNYers to be aware we really have to advocate for ourselves.

Two weeks ago as I was enjoying an intense workout, everything came to a crashing halt when I fell to the floor in literally the worst pain I've ever experienced - and at 61 I'm pretty tough and no cry-baby! :) It was 'merely' a pinched nerve in my neck but I'm still in recovery.

I found the nearest urgent care center, and once face to face with the doctor the first thing I said is I'm RNY, no NSAIDs. He said well 'we have this med (I can't recall name of it) and it's an NSAID - but it's topical so it won't matter'. THIS IS NOT TRUE!! While it wouldn't have the direct effect of oral medication hitting your pouch, it does get absorbed into your bloodstream and then eventually to the mucosa of the GI tract.

I'm reserved and quiet by nature but I HAD to speak up for myself because the pain was unreal. And that means I HAD to tell a physician something he did not know - and which you know he didn't want to hear from a mere patient. But I did it, and I hope he believed me for the sake of the next person who comes in and should not have NSAIDs or aspirin.

There are a number of good articles but I have this one on hand that I sent to my PCP a while back (she is much more receptive to new info than the urgent care doc) and it may help explain some of the reasons for the contraindication: http://positively-healthy.com/nsaids-and-bariatric-surgery-w hats-the-deal/

Just sharing my recent experience; I get a little better every day. And I'm still doing my hard workouts, just with some modifications til I get my strength and balance back. :)

Chris211
on 5/7/17 2:43 pm

I have a surgery coming soon, just no date yet. I have stockpiles of prescription alive for knee problems that I have. I have heard no NSAIDS. What other kind of medication can I take safety for normal everyday pain and headaches. I havent taken Tylenol in years because I heard of problems that it might cause.

alaskasusan
on 5/7/17 2:46 pm, edited 5/7/17 8:37 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Tylenol (specifically Tylenol 8 hr for arthritis, though I do not have arthritis) is my go-to for general minor pain, and my dr has prescribed norco for my occasional migraines (which are much more rare than pre-rny). I haven't had any issues, though liver enzymes are included with my annual blood checks to stay on top of any issues that might develop.

For the nerve pain, lidocaine 5% patches are working pretty well. As well, I have read that amitriptyline (normally prescribed for depression) is supposed to work well for pain when prescribed in low doses (~ 25mg), but I've not tried it.

Hopefully some of our vets here will chime in with additional suggestions. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

cc583
on 5/7/17 3:32 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I hear ya with the knee pain! I have a fracture in one knee and severe arthritis in the other knee. I have been using Bio Freeze, as it does comes in a gel, a spray, a roll on and maybe a cream. It only gives temporary relief but it does help. I also just learned of the lidocaine patches. I haven't tried it yet but I will be. I do have permission to use Advil very very sparingly from my surgeon. I was taking 4 liquid gel tablets twice a day before surgery. Since surgery I have only taken it three times and each time I only took 1 tablet. Tylenol does not help me at all.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Cathy H.
on 5/8/17 3:58 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I have been using Norco for a couple of years for knee and back pain. It is hydrocodone and acetaminophen and works great. I'm allergic to codeine so a lot of non-NSAID pain meds are off the table for me.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/17 4:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I haven't heard of an antiinflammatory that we can take. Either Tylenol, Tylenol with codeine, or tramadol are the most frequently used pain meds.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/17 4:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great article Susan. Thanks.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/8/17 4:48 am - Burleson, TX

To avoid MOST conflicts, I put NSAIDS down on my Allergy List. If pushed, by an overzealous 14 year old nurse or 16 year old gonna-save-the-world doctor, I lie and say I have history of bleeding ulcers and I'm a free bleeder, or something...or that I'll have seizures and throw up feces...

Usually calms them down...

One of besties, long term post RNY honestly had bleeder, in her remnant stomach. We almost lost her. Made a BELIEVER, out of me!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views