11 days post op RNY and having difficulty eating

nzwithlove
on 6/1/17 10:18 pm

Well after the false start in April getting the sleeve, finally had the RNY done Tuesday 23 May (NZ time). Came home after 4 nights in hospital as ended up with open surgery due to too much scarring from lapband removal. Having the pureed foods up until a couple of days was fine with no problems but the last couple of days has been very trying. Everytime I go to have something to eat stomach goes into a spasm after 1-2 tspn and I have on a couple of occassions burbed up after several attempts clear fluid and muscus. Some foods like yoghurt seem to be fine. I've went back to Optifast last night and attempted breakfast again and while I got a bit of tightness no other reaction but lunch was another story. Rang nurse who suggested going back on Optifast for a couple of days then trying again, also have to take an extra Omeprazole at night. If it hasn't settled down I have to go to the Emergency department as I may have something twisted. Has anyone else experiened this post op? Water and other liquids going down fine, can take tablets no problems, even yoghurt is not a problem.

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/2/17 1:45 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Could be post op swelling. Could also be a stricture. I'd go back on liquids but would demand to be seen if 24 hours go by and it's still an issue. A simple scope will show them what's going on. With your list of complications I wouldn't hesitate to be a squeaky wheel.

Also - with RNY there really is no sense of restriction like we mean when we have a Lap Band. You should be able to swallow and eat without that sensation. You are still very early out and the nerves were cut, so be sure to follow your doc's advice and fo slow. Hope you feel better soon!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

nzwithlove
on 6/6/17 1:18 am

Two days of Optifast and an extra Omeprazole at night seems to have fixed the issue. Fingers crossed it continues.

ScottAndrews
on 6/2/17 5:31 am
RNY on 03/20/17

What food is giving you trouble?

I don't even think I had a soft boiled egg until 3 weeks out.

nzwithlove
on 6/6/17 1:14 am

All food, weetbix, soup and my pureed dinners. Everything is either sloppy or pureed. I have not deviated from the post op food instructions at all. I had to do a couple of days of optifast and take an extra Omeprazole at night. Everything seems to have resolved itself so that is a relief.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 252 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics