OK, so I'm past target, doing well...

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/17 12:08 pm

what can I eat now? Almost 8 months out! I had a large onion ring last night without problem. I have a mini dark chocolate peanut butter cup once a day. No issue. I haven't gained back a pound and I'm 12 pounds past target.

I'm not going to eat white flour or white rice or anything with major sugar (only small amounts).

What are "good" cheat ideas.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/6/17 12:20 pm - Burleson, TX

There are NO good cheat ideas. Trust me. Tread lightly.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

RNY_elizabeth
on 6/6/17 12:32 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

"Cheat" is never an idea I want to get comfy with. It makes all of this feel like a punishment. I choose to eat healthier now. I can eat anything I want but I make a choice to eat things that fuel my body and keep me healthy. Sometimes I eat a 'treat' that I wouldn't normally eat on a regular basis.

That said, once I reached my goal I went past it by about 25 pounds before I started changing how I ate and it was definitely past the one year mark. When I did, I expanded my diet to include more fruits and veggies first.

I remember doing Weigh****chers years ago and them talking about how many fruits were "free" of point values. One member of my group asked, "So if I can eat all the bananas I want without any points how can I lose weight?" The leader of the group responded, "None of us got here by eating too many bananas." TRUTH So I keep that in the back of my mind. Things that are healthy carbs or high protein with good calorie to protein ratios, those are my additional snacks and 'treats.' An extra Chobani Simply 100 "Crunch" or an apple for example.

There are times when something comes up that I really want and I decide to have it. I have had a few Oreos, a couple bites of cake, no sugar added ice cream, pretzels or chips here and there. Honestly at the time I enjoy it but it always leaves me craving more carbs and I get sideways. I don't usually 'dump' (run to the bathroom feeling sick as a dog) but sometimes I have reactive hypoglycemia and that is awful. I feel like I am chasing a dragon to get my blood sugar stable again. When that doesn't happen I usually end up miserable and feeling overwhelmed by my cravings to snack. Especially at night. It is like opening a Genie bottle and having all my old addiction to food come bounding out and pouncing me at once. I recommend avoiding the trap of increased carbs as much as possible. Everyday is a struggle but I know I feel much much better when I stick to healthier choices than I do when I 'cheat.'

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/17 12:32 pm

Queen JB
on 6/6/17 12:35 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

They don't exist. Especially if you are calling them "cheats".

If you are truly in maintenance and want to stop losing, you can increase your calories, but you don't need to do it with onion rings and peanut butter cups. 8 months is still really, really new. This magic doesn't last.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/17 12:46 pm
RNY on 09/22/16

I don't know what to say except that ONE peanut butter cup a day is what got us all here in the first place. Please, please DON'T. It was just Sept when we started this journey. In a few short months the malabsorption will be dwindling and just looking at those cups will be disastrous.

Just please DON'T, you've come too far to start "cheating" now. I really am not lecturing, I promise you this is said with sadness and caring.

Think back to those promises we made just a few short months ago - we would do anything to get back to a good weight....well now is the time to prove that.. Just DON'T!

Ceci

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/17 12:57 pm

OK, OK, I used the wrong word! Not cheats! Just, what extra foods can I eat that used to be a no-no.

I'm not gaining anything! I'm 12 pounds past target. I'll eliminate if I need to but I want to enjoy the little bit that I get to eat and the tiny bit that tastes good. Right now most things still taste bad. A dark chocolate mini peanut butter cup is 7 carbs and 6g sugar. I'm eating maybe 700-800 calories a day.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/17 12:59 pm

NO, 420 peanut butter cups a day is what got me here!! :)

Grim_Traveller
on 6/6/17 1:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

One mini Reeses turns into two giant Reeses.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/17 1:47 pm

you telling me off always makes me snap out of it!

Thanks,

Jeff

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?