Why do so many get pancreatitis after a bypass?

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/17 11:55 pm, edited 6/15/17 12:54 am

Just wondering why so many get pancreatitis after bypass surgery? What is it about the surgery that causes it? I've read tons of threads about pancreatitis but none of them say how the bypass causes it. Some say from gallbladder problems but most already had thier gall bladder removed. Also wondering what other common organ problems can occur? So far I've heard thyroid, gal bladder, and pancreatitis. Are their more? Just when I thought I'd read everything I find tons more info while surfing the net! Learning all the risks, understanding them, and weighing them is so hard!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/15/17 4:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you go looking for problems, you'll find them.

Gallbladder issues are common for anyone who loses very large amounts of weight. It's a common issue. But it has nothing to do with weight loss surgery. It has everything to do with being obese, and then losing weight.

Weight loss surgery does nothing to our thyroid. It's the other way around.

Pancreatitis is pretty rare. I've only seen a couple of people on here with it, and I've seen many thousands go through OH.

If you look for issues with surgery, it's easy to talk your way out of it. Take some time and start looking at what the issues are for lifelong morbid obesity. Those aren't potential, minimal possibilities. Those are 100 percent going to happen.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/17 1:58 pm, edited 6/15/17 7:14 am

Of course I'm looking for problems that could arise. Are you saying I shouldn't?Any major surgery should be looked at for possible risks. It's the smart thing to do. I've had problems with anemia before and some people have to have continual iron infusions after surgery. I'm glad I learned this. My BMI is only 37 so I'm not comparing the risks of surgery to the risks of morbid obesity. Like I said, those whom I have found having problems with pancreatitis are those with NO gallbladder. And their are way way more than just a couple.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/15/17 3:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

No, of course you should investigate. Thoroughly. But people post about problems and complications at an extremely high rate. A very small number of those with zero issues bother to post about how easy they've had it.

Laura has a great post below about the complication rates from surgery. Considering what wrecks most of us were, they are remarkably low. The cpmplications from obesity are far, far worse than the complications of WLS.

Your BMI may be 37 now. And from your posts, I'd be willing to bet you won't pursue surgery much further at this time. Most of us don't when we first look into it. We decide it's too dangerous, or too radical. We decide we can lose enough on our own. We go on more diets, and often lose. I lost about 80 pounds after considering, and rejecting, surgery at first. 5 years later I had gained the 80 back, and gained 80 more. I had increasing comorbidities and decreasing quality of life. Then I had surgery.

My guess is you'll go back down this road in a few ywars when your BMI is up to 45 or 50, and your health continues to decline. The tiny, tiny, tiny chance of pancreatitis won't seem so daunting then.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/17 4:22 pm

Thank you, Grim, I completely understand. And thank you for sharing your own experience. My surgery date is the 26th. I have wasted too many years of my life being fat. It is time for me. Yes, part of my search for complications is indeed out of fear, self awareness, wanting to know what I'm getting myself into etc.... I had no idea they would be able to schedule me for surgery so soon. So I'm afraid I won't have enough time to get health insurance before my surgery. This is playing a big part in why I am looking for complications as well. If I have any complications after surgery my bills will be overwhelming. Your post has helped me and I appreciate it! : )

jenorama
on 6/15/17 8:14 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I had my RNY almost four years ago and I've had none of these problems. My gallbladder is still where it belongs. For a lot of people, their gallbladder is already in bad shape and rapid weight loss doesn't help it. If yours is fine, you'll likely be all right.

Like Grim said, if you go looking for trouble, you'll find plenty!

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/17 2:07 pm

Yes, so true. If I go looking for problems I will find plenty. That is because there ARE plenty. There are a very large amount of people who have had some type of problem after surgery. That's why it's smart to know these risks before making any decisions.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/18/17 7:21 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Actually, no -- the great majority of us have NO complications.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/17 6:56 pm, edited 6/19/17 11:57 am

I didn't say the majority of us. I said there are a lot of people who experience complications. And there are. I've seen it. I am aware that the majority don't. However that doesn't mean a person shouldn't learn about the risks before surgery.

SiennaSun
on 6/15/17 11:35 am - CO

I am a newbie and you have good answers above. My surgery was 1/31. I thought you might want to hear from someone fresh from the decision? I tried the Optifast program and weight loss without surgery. I was successful with exercise and new food plans. The gallbladder removal happened to a good third of my group who lost at least 50 pounds. Everyone wanted thyroid problems to blame, but none of us had it.

Let's focus on reality. Being obese is dangerous for most. Diabetes, high blood pressure, joint damage are the real life issues I heard weekly with my overweight friends. I had RNY and now I'm average. I feel and my doctor agrees I've added 8 years to my life expectancy. My daily life was always a struggle to stay on plan, eat clean, avoid temptations. Now my daily life has almost no struggles. I eat a half cup of food and I'm full. So what I tell people when they ask me is that THIS is better than THAT. I can't decide for anyone else. I just know that surgery or not, both ways have risks. I think we just look for evidence to do what we want.

I wanted skinny and I got it. I wanted to not have my head space revolve around food. I celebrate that daily, usually when I'm walking up stairs without panting or holding on to the rail.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics