feeling discouraged

NaomiH85
on 6/16/17 5:57 pm

So I am a little over 6 months out and the weight loss has slowed down considerably. I'm really sure why. I don't believe I have been over eating or stretched out my pouch. I have moments where I've eating foods that are not healthy and I know I shouldn't be eating. I've been exercising at least 3 days a week for the most part. I got sick in May with pneumonia so I was unable to work out for almost a month due to the trouble breathing and chest pain on exertion but other that I've been pretty consistent. To date I've only lost 56 lbs. so far. I'm beginning to feel discouraged like this is not working especially since I have gained some weight not much just enough to make me feel discouraged. I'm really feeling like this is not working even though everyone around says oh you lost so much weight. I am still obese, I still don't like the way I look in my clothes. I am not getting the results that I would have liked at this point in my weight loss journey.

bruindiva92
on 6/16/17 9:39 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Hi Naomi,

Please know that we all lose at different paces. Remember, you didn't become obese overnight so the weight will not fall off overnight. WLS is not a magic fix it all--losing weight takes daily work & commitment.

Work with your new tool. Get back to basics and follow your surgeon's plan. Measure, weigh & log everything you put in your mouth. If you don't have a food scale, go buy one. I found these things keep me on track.

Now for the tough love: Stop eating things not on your meal plan--a little "cheat" here, a little there add up and can slow your weight loss. Take advantage of the first 12-18 months post-op when you can lose the most weight. Make losing weight your new "full-time job" and work at this like your life depends on it!

56 lbs. in 6 months is outstanding! Keep up the good work.

Don't forget to love yourself....

peachpie
on 6/17/17 3:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Were you a revision? They tend to lose slower. And people with lower BMi's lose slower to. But even if that's not you you can't stress about the rate of loss- learn what it is for you and make it work. Comparing yourself to other will send you in a negative space.

Are you tracking your eating? Weighing and measuring food? You already identified times when you eat poorly- get ahead of that now, or slow losing will quickly turn into gaining.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Insert Fitness
on 6/17/17 4:01 am, edited 6/16/17 9:01 pm

I agree with Peach and Bruindiva.

You shouldn't compare your loss to other's everyone's rate is different. I know you said you don't believe you've been over eating, but the only way to be sure is to weigh and measure everything.

Once youre sure you are doing everything you can to be on plan, the weight will come off, and whatever rate it decides.

keep it up!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

ScottAndrews
on 6/17/17 7:19 am, edited 6/17/17 12:20 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Don't be discouraged. Be encouraged because you still have the best weight loss tool medical science has ever come up with at your disposal. You just have to refocus a bit.

The best advice a trainer ever gave me was when he told me that weight loss was 15% gym work and 85% diet. Don't fall into the trap of "I'm going to the gym therefore I can eat more"

One very significant thing I've learned from my recent weight loss is that there's a very thin line when it comes to calorie consumption. The more weight you lose, the less calories you need.

conazza
on 6/17/17 7:25 am, edited 6/17/17 12:25 am
RNY on 09/23/16

I agree with all of the above. Everyone is different in this process.

It may help to post your menu with calories and macros on the daily menu thread. There are vets that help us by giving comments and suggestions on what foods etc can help or hinder our weight loss. I feel like this has helped me a great deal.

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Teena D.
on 6/17/17 4:11 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

As others have mentioned, tracking your food is essential. The vets on here are extremely helpful so if you do track, please post your calorie, protein and carb numbers. This will make it easier for people to give you advice. Good luck!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Dcgirl
on 6/19/17 6:50 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Do you have a digital food scale? I got one on Amazon for maybe $15 and I used it RELIGIOUSLY while I was in the weight loss mode. I still, at 3.5 years out, cannot eyeball a proper portion size. Keep your menu high protein and low carb, and WEIGH your foods - at six months I was probably eating 3 oz of solid food for a meal - whether it was chicken sausage or ground turkey with taco seasoning with cheese and sour cream, or baked tilapia, or egg salad, or chicken breast...as another poster said, the first 12-18 months are the honeymoon period and as you get further out, losing weight is tougher (though check out Gina, who got to her goal after 9 years - yay!). Stop eating things that aren't healthy - you deserve to be healthy and out of the obese category. You've got this!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 249 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views
Recent Topics