Arm Swelling?

OneBlueSock
on 6/23/17 9:18 pm
RNY on 06/21/17

Hey guys - any advice would be great, or even just knowing whether or not you've had something similar. I did put in a call to the bariatric surgeon on call, we're waiting to hear back from them now.

I'm 3 days out from surgery and was discharged the day after because I was doing so well. On the whole things have been fine, except for a little weirdness here and there.

I am managing to get in my protein and water in but holy cats it's hard to stay on top of! Today was the first day I got it all in.

I FINALLY started tooting, who knew one could be so excited about that...but I'm glad it means stuff is moving!

Today I popped a low-grade fever...I'm talking like 99.1 or so. All my incisions look fine, and the doctor agreed and said maybe it had to do with my lungs? (I'm using my incentive spirometer like I was instructed). It seems to happen if I'm up and active for a while.

Here's the one that has me most concerned...this afternoon my hands and arms felt weird - they're swollen and warm but just on my forearm area. My fingers look like sausages and the whole area aches. I thought maybe the edema was related to all the IV fluids they pumped into me during/after surgery, or maybe an immune response because my body is currently in 'wtf did you do to me woman?!?!' mode.

Anyone else have that happen to them?

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

seattledeb
on 6/23/17 10:26 pm

That's a great reason to call your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon.

Au_Contraire
on 6/24/17 12:36 am, edited 6/23/17 5:37 pm

Hi Kelsey!

Congratulations on your surgery! I am just a week or so further out than you are, and can totally relate - there really is a lot to stay on top of! I was low on protein today - i seem to have become overly sensitive to the protein shakes, which now rush through and out of me within 15 minutes. I ordered some clear protein drinks, which I was told will not cause that effect - fingers crossed! They arrive on Monday, so we'll see. But the cool thing is that today was my first day on soft foods! I had cottage cheese with a tiny bit of hummus. It was good and seemed to be well tolerated. It's the simple things!

Please call your doc regarding your arm and your fever. Don't delay, okay? And please update us.

OneBlueSock
on 6/24/17 11:23 am
RNY on 06/21/17

Congrats to you too!

So far the only food sensitivity I've noticed is that the shake I enjoyed the most pre-surgery, Unjury Chocolate Splendor, is gag-me sweet now. Premier protein seems to be fine as well as Isotech42. The sensation of things going into my pouch is just plain weird, but I'm sure i'll get used to it over time. I'm on liquids until July 5th and I'm not gonna lie...that feels like it's eons away

I posted below but I did call my doc and we're keeping an eye on the swelling, it's likely that it's related to my IVs, and thus far no fever since yesterday.

Kelsey

Au_Contraire
on 6/24/17 12:24 pm

I'm glad you got in touch with your doc, and that the likely cause is the IV. Glad too that your fever is gone!

I actually am in the puree' phase, not soft foods yet. One ounce of low-fat cottage cheese in a little plastic shotglass, to be eaten with a demi-tasse spoon! A seriously teeny meal! Plus I'm supposed to stretch it out for 20 minutes! It kind of cracks me up! But I know my insides are healing, and that this is the right pace for them, so it's all good.

Hang in there! July 5th will be here before you know it!

OneBlueSock
on 6/24/17 12:31 pm
RNY on 06/21/17

I will be so glad to get to the puree phase, me and my food processor are going to live it up!

Right now I'm handling about 2oz every 15m or so, and I'm trying to alternate between protein and water. It's a weird sensation to be full after just 3-4 sips

Kelsey

Patty R.
on 6/24/17 3:30 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Glad to hear you are home!! The arm/hand swelling could be related to an IV and/or blood draws. Keep checking your temp. and give the surgeon a call, especially if the temp climbs and/or the arm swelling, warmth worsens. Veins can get irritated from being stuck with needles.

Sounds like you've got everything under control!

Kathyjs
on 6/24/17 6:56 am

Definately not a doctor but my advice would be to get moving more.it is over whelming at first and feels like all you are doing is drinking and eating but it gets a whole lot better

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/24/17 9:42 am

Fever - swelling - definitely call them.

But it can also be an allergic reaction to something you eat - drink - or to something they gave you during surgery.

I am allergic to something. If I eat soy - my hands itch, them swell. Then my head start itching.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy1212
on 6/24/17 10:21 am

Hi, congrats on your surgery.

Like others have said, call your surgeon and let him/her know about the fever and swelling.

My arms and hands did swell up because the IV fluid pooled under my skin instead of going into the vein, but it happened while the IV was still in, not later.

I'm not a doctor, but maybe there is a bit of infection in your arm from the IV, and that is causing the fever?

Whatever it is, best to get it checked.

Good luck and please let us know what the cause is when you find out.

Take care.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 373 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 124 views