Dumb Question, probably...

thechief94
on 6/24/17 5:33 pm - NC

I am currently 4-1/2 years post-op. Lost all the excess weight I had desired, and then some (down to 173, and maintaining nicely). Question I have is - has anyone ever heard of having problems with the bypassed portion of the stomach? Reason I am asking is I have been having gastrointestinal problems that my doctors have been unable to figure out. Apparently the pouch itself is fine; but I have constant, nagging pain that is reminiscent of drinking too much coffee all day and eating nothing (this, regardless of whether I have coffee or not). It seems to be centered substernally, just below the sternal notch, and does NOT seem to be cardiac related (per my cardiologist). I am currently scheduled for a gastro consult, just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this possibility. Like I mentioned, probably a dumb question, but inquiring minds...

LissaK
on 6/24/17 5:43 pm
RNY on 12/21/16

This doesn't seem like a dumb question. First, congratulations on your success. Ulceration of the stomach and intestines are not uncommon along with gastritis which is inflammation of the stomach and can cause the symptoms you are describing. Are you on a PPI (Prilosec, nexium, etc)? Gallbladder can also cause similar symptoms, do you still have your gallbladder?

thechief94
on 6/24/17 6:14 pm - NC

TY for your reply, LissaK. Gallbladder "went South" 2 years post-op, and is gone. Am on Prilosec 20mg, which may need adjustment. Again, ty for the quick reply!

Eggface
on 6/24/17 7:09 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I'd guess ulcer if I had to put $ on it... if you smoke (don't) it's the biggest cause, NSAIDS can too (why we avoid unless Dr monitored for a specific limited use) or maybe hiatal hernias but usually you puke with those... but to answer your Q (never a dumb Q by the way) yes one I am aware of is gastrogastric fistulas (I think that's what they are called) but they are pretty rare (more a thing of older surgeries/tools) as I understand them and usually the result in weight regain because it's basically a staple line failure.

Have you charted your pain... I know you said constant but look/note anything like is it worse after you eat, drink, time of day, after physical activity, after vitamins. Could be completely unrelated to surgery too... I know post WLS we tend to auto go-to WLS-related.

Keep us updated. Hope its a quick fix whatever it is.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

hollykim
on 6/24/17 9:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 25, 2017 at 12:33 AM Pacific Time, thechief94 wrote:

I am currently 4-1/2 years post-op. Lost all the excess weight I had desired, and then some (down to 173, and maintaining nicely). Question I have is - has anyone ever heard of having problems with the bypassed portion of the stomach? Reason I am asking is I have been having gastrointestinal problems that my doctors have been unable to figure out. Apparently the pouch itself is fine; but I have constant, nagging pain that is reminiscent of drinking too much coffee all day and eating nothing (this, regardless of whether I have coffee or not). It seems to be centered substernally, just below the sternal notch, and does NOT seem to be cardiac related (per my cardiologist). I am currently scheduled for a gastro consult, just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this possibility. Like I mentioned, probably a dumb question, but inquiring minds...

yes, you can have gastritis , ulcers on your remnant stomach. The problem is getting into it to check things out. Hopefully your gastroenterologist will have some ideas.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/25/17 4:30 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What Eggface and Hollykim said.

It could be the remnant stomach, but it doesn't have to be. It could be an ulcer in the small intestine. The only way to find out is with an endoscopy, if you haven't already had one.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 260 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics