nervous and excited and need some input..

minaque2
on 6/26/17 10:26 am

I just found out that my insurance does not make me wait 6 months. I thought it did! As I have said, 9 yrs ago I did have a 6 month waiting period and went through the whole program, lost 40 pounds and was scheduled for surgery but backed out. So far this time I have done the initial group nutrition, met the doctor, got a physical, did required cardiology stuff, had a required upper GI and will be meeting the nutritionist this week and the therapist next week. The week after that, I meet with the surgeon to find out if he is approving me and then possibly schedule surgery as soon as mid August. I thought it would be November before I got surgery.. There are pros and cons to this. I am psyched to get it done sooner and in nice weather. The thought of having it in the dead of winter and around the holidays wasn't all that attractive. My 5 year old son starts kindergarten at the end of August. I worry about having surgery and possibly complications at a crucial time for him. I just got this info not 15 minutes ago so I'm having a million thoughts and emotions all at once! I know I am going to just have to calm down and think about it. I can talk to my family and the bariatric team. I absolutely want this surgery and know that no time will ever be perfect to be semi incapacitated for a couple weeks. I am by nature a worrier though, LOL. I have to learn and know everything like the back of my hand before making a decision. What are your thoughts? How did you all feel when you had surgery scheduled? It just suddenly became so real. As I said, excited and scared all at once!

Librarian67
on 6/26/17 11:03 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on the good news! Take a couple of deep breaths and enjoy the happiness. It is a big decision to have surgery, but I wouldn't put it off any longer. It sounds like you are finally ready so I say go for it.

You have a few weeks to make plans for the pre- and post-surgery time, so use that time wisely to get prepared. I'm a list maker, and I think that with some planning things will go smoothly.

Again congrats!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

White Dove
on 6/26/17 11:33 am - Warren, OH

You will not be incapacitated but you will not be able to lift more than 10 pounds. I had RNY on Tuesday, was doing housework on Thursday and back in the office on Monday.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

minaque2
on 6/26/17 11:43 am

That's good to hear because I have a desk job and work from home. I would like to work ASAP after surgery!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/26/17 2:17 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I was working from home two days after surgery, and was teaching and walking a large campus in 10 days.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

nance1950
on 6/26/17 11:51 am
RNY on 04/26/17

The same thing happened to me. Had all the presurgey stuff done. They applied to the insurance and I was approved for surgery with no 6 month diet. I was counting on the six months to get my head together. I decided not to wait and go for the earlier surgery. (It was about a month between my spproval and my surgery.) I'm glad I did. I suggest you just go for the earlier surgery too...you're all set to go and it will be behind you for the holidays! Nance

Dcgirl
on 6/26/17 12:13 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I had surgery on a Friday and took the following Monday-Friday off. I had an office job at the time, and could have been back at the office by maybe Thursday or Friday. I wasn't in pain, I was just tired and had to exert my little brain power and energy into sipping protein drinks and water. I could have easily worked from home by Tuesday. Everyone's experience will vary - how old you are, how heavy you are, what medical problems you have, if you have complications, but honestly, my experience was, "did I really have surgery or was I in a placebo group?". I didn't have pain after surgery, I was up and walking in the hospital easily, and I moved from clear liquids to full liquids to soft foods to hard foods on schedule, without any issues. I was worried that I could tolerate egg salad or tuna or ground turkey once I was cleared for food two weeks after surgery, and I came to realize that complications are not the norm and I was just doing well. Good luck - I say run, don't walk to surgery! I wish I had done it years sooner! Once you are at a healthy weight and have the energy to OUTRUN your kindergartener, you will be so happy!

Emiepie
on 6/26/17 2:03 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Congrats! I think it might take a day or two to wrap your head around it all but you'll be so happy once all is said and done!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Jen876
on 6/26/17 3:07 pm
RNY on 06/14/17

I would say go for it. When I actually had a concrete date, I was full of emotion. I was scared and excited all at once. As for recovery time, I did have substantial pain in my left side after surgery. I have a desk job and can work from home but I couldn't start working right away. I had intended to take a week off but ended up taking more. My surgery was on 6/14 and I started back working today. I felt great for a few days and then felt awful for the next week. Not to deter you, but it's better to be prepared rather than not when it comes to how much time you will need to recover. Hope all goes smoothly and you get on the road to success!

minaque2
on 6/27/17 7:53 am

Thank You for all the feedback. You all are making me more excited!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics