Home made beef jerky

Kathy1212
on 6/28/17 4:30 pm

So I made home made jerky for the first time in my new little Excalibur food dehydrator today. OMG...it is to DIE for. So glad I bought this machine.

I'm going to try to make zucchini, carrot, and kale chips next.

It also says it can make roll ups out of yogurt, of all things. Has anyone tried this? Sounds yummy if it will work with Greek or Skyr yogurt.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

oneatatime
on 6/28/17 5:03 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

That sounds great!!!

I don't know about the yogurt, but if you try it, please post results (and pictures!!). :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Kathy1212
on 6/28/17 6:09 pm

I'll give it a go, but first I need to try the veggie chips. I'm excited, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Kathy1212
on 6/29/17 10:29 am

Thank you; I will.

Kathy  

ScottAndrews
on 6/29/17 2:37 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had jerky.

So after reading your post last night I was taking a walk and I was feeling a bit hungry. I stopped at a deli and got a fancy/organic Slim Jim type of thing. I can't say I really enjoyed it much but it did do its job. It could be a nice go-to snack to knock back those post dinner cravings.

Any recommendations ? I doubt I'll be making my own any time soon.

Kathy1212
on 6/29/17 10:34 am

I don't think I've ever had a Slim Jim. Are they like Schneider's Hot Rods? I like those on occasion but find them very salty and fatty.

I like the Lorissa's Kitchen beef jerky, from the Walmart. Korean BBQ is my favourite flavor and I'm going to try that type of marinade (with no sugar though) for my home made jerky next time.

It is a nice snack, low cal, high protein. It's costly though, at least it is here in Canada, and I was worried about additives. I like taking it on longer bike rides.

Kathy  

MeanStreak88
on 6/29/17 12:31 pm - Opelika, AL

I love making beef jerky. And I dry the herds from my garden in it as well. About the one thing I cant do is dehydrate mangoes. Which I really want to do. If you know a good method for that, I would love to hear it.

Ya gotta have more cowbell!!

Kathy1212
on 6/29/17 12:59 pm

Do you have a favorite marinade for your jerky? Or have you tried the premade jerky spices? I still have so much to learn.

I google everything that I want to try and read or watch the videos that come up. Dried mango sounds yummy. My parrot would like it too. What did you do when you tried it?

Have you tried the dehydrated watermelon? I've seen the instructions for that but can't imagine what it would taste like. I bet it would take forever too, given the high water content of watermelon.

I tried strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, and the strawberries finished first; the raspberries and blueberries are still moist and fat. I think it's because i cut the two strawberries into thin slices. They were so delicious. I wish I would have made more than 2 strawberries worth. I think I"ll put more in tonight, lol.

Kathy  

MeanStreak88
on 7/5/17 1:13 pm - Opelika, AL

I have tried all sorts of marinades for jerky, but my favorite is one I buy at Gander Mountain and mixed with Allegro hot & spicy marinade. Turns out great! I will see if I have any of that marinade left and then tell you the name. It really is the best I have tried so far.

I have never seen dehydrated watermelon. I'm sure it exists though. Cant imagine there would be much left though. I really didn't treat my mangoes when I tried them, maybe that's why they turned out crappy. I've a ton of tomatoes getting ripe, maybe i will give those a shot. The strawberries sound good. Looks like I will be dragging my machine back out. All this talk of fruit and jerky is making me itch for some stuff.

Ya gotta have more cowbell!!

Kathy1212
on 7/5/17 5:23 pm

Thank you! I only have 2 servings of my first batch of jerky left so time to buy more beef, lol.

I still have to try my huge organic carrot, lol, and I want more zucchini and kale chips too .

Kathy  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 503 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views