In 3rd week post-op, so many qs about food

Sheila_H
on 7/14/17 9:39 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Hi everybody. I'm in my 3rd week post-op and getting kinda paranoid. I was moved from liquid to mashed/puréed at the end of second week. For lunch and dinner I have about 2 oz puréed chicken + 1/4 cup of puréed vegetables. Is this too much? I am in constant fear that I am stretching my pouch. Am I supposed to have only 1 oz of meat at meals? Question#2 - my morning HP meal replacement is kinda meh, so I added 3 strawberries to the blender mix. Is that a no-no? Can I add a little fruit (like 1/3 banana) to some of these shakes to get that fake flavor out? I would ask all these questions of my nutritionist but my appt is not till the end of month and I am so worried I'm doing the wrong thing. TIA for all your support.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

Writergurl08
on 7/14/17 10:41 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I have not had surgery, so take his with a grain of salt! 2 oz of protein and some veg sounds ok in puréed form, but might be too much on solid. My husband went from liquid to "soft protein" such as yogurt and scrambled eggs. He never did pureed meats. veggies came once he was allowed more solid food, but he generally fills up with protein and doesn't bother much with veggies.

If you overeat, you'll definitely know about it!

Sheila_H
on 7/14/17 10:56 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Thanks. I do eat yougurt for protein. But I have a ghizmo to make baby food (for when my kids were little) so I use that to make my meals. ¯\_(?)_/¯ I've been worried because I hear from everybody that you'll know when you eat too much but I haven't felt anything. As if the surgery never happened, the only way I know it really happened is that I'm no longer hungry. :-)

Writergurl08
on 7/14/17 12:06 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I think because it's puréed it will sort of "slide" through. The first solid meal my husband ate, after about 3-4 bites he felt like he was going to throw up, he was so full.

Au_Contraire
on 7/14/17 11:34 am

I sincerely suggest that you call your center now, rather than wait until the end of the month. Your nutritionist or nurse will be able to clarify what you should be eating at this and every stage. Don't feel that you must wait until your scheduled appointment. This is important, and you need their guidance. They want you to succeed, and are there for you. Please do call to get your important questions answered.

I am 1 week further out from surgery than you are. My meal size just went from 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) to 2 ounces once I hit 4 weeks.

At 3 weeks, I began being able to have moist white fish, moist poultry (not fried, no skin), thin-sliced deli meats, low-fat cheese, turkey sausage and turkey bacon, and lean ground meat (if turkey sausage is tolerated). Most of that I haven't yet tried. Each of my 3 meals were not to exceed 1 oz, or 2 tablespoons.

According to the plan i was given, I could have also added the following vegetable foods into my 1-ounce meals:

Potato or sweet potato, mashed; dried beans or peas, very well cooked; hummus, creamy peanut butter, ripe soft avocado. This in addition to stuff like Cream of Wheat,thin oatmeal, farina, and some crackers. Personally I didn't have any of these things except for a little hummus (which now tastes disgusting to me!), because I am trying to minimize my carbohydrate intake.

On top of these small meals, I was supposed to be getting 60-80 grams of protein a day! Still am, for that matter. I am finding this challenging.

I am still not able to have green vegetables, and won't until I have not 8 weeks. I look forward to having broccoli, and have been craving Brussels sprouts!

Anyway, that's how it is for me. Your surgeon's recommendations may very well be different.

Good luck to you!

ScottAndrews
on 7/14/17 11:58 am
RNY on 03/20/17

You'll feel it if you eat too much.

Fruit it isn't the best thing right now for you but berries would be better than bananas.

Librarian67
on 7/14/17 12:09 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

It sounds like alot to me. I started pureed foods with 2 ounces or 1/4 cup of food per meal. It never looked like enough food, but it always satisfied me. I ate mostly meat for the first several months after surgery so I could make the protein requirements. It was only at 3-4 months out that I had room for veggies and I'm not eating other carbs.

As for fruit, my surgeon was okay with it, but I have found that it adds carbs where I really need protein. You will find that most people around here are very cautious about fruit because of the carbs.

That said, call your surgeon's office and see what they say. You need to not wait several more weeks to get the information.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

SassyGirlTN
on 7/14/17 1:24 pm

1/4 sounds awfully low, but that's more than what some suggest of just 2 tablespoons. Do you really not feel hungry? I was leaning toward a sleeve until today when I was told that my acid problems would probably prevent a VSG. The thought of RNY seems much scarier to me.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Start of liquid diet: 275.4

Surgery date - 2.13.18!!!

Sheila_H
on 7/14/17 2:37 pm - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

I was leaning towards sleeve too but after research and talking to my surgeon the weight loss rate is much bigger with gastric bypass. I wanted more bang for my buck.

Writergurl08
on 7/15/17 8:16 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I think it depends on your surgeon. My husband can eat up to 1/2 a cup of smushy food (yogurt and such), though it's more like 1/3 C for solid food (like meat cut up very small). Supplements with protein shakes throughout the day

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 515 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 244 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics