Planned icu stay post-op question

Sychan87
on 7/22/17 12:48 pm
RNY on 08/02/17

I am scheduled to have surgery about 1 1/2 weeks from now. My clearance from my pulmonologist puts me at high risk and recommends ICU care post op due to a lot of risk associated with my breathing. What can I expect care wise in the icu?What are the visitor policies for icu? Will this effect the length of my stay? Are there any things I should prepare for being icu bound that are different? What all should I bring or not bring with me? Any other advice for post op would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

seattledeb
on 7/22/17 5:08 pm

I was a scheduled ICU admit as well. It was great. My nurse had 2 patients. I was on a monitor. I had a private room. My sister could stay in the room.

The next day I was moved to the floor and was discharged that afternoon.

Good luck to you.

NYMom222
on 7/22/17 9:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You will need to ask some of these at your pre-op visit, either to the nursing staff or the Doctor. Ever hospital has different rules on visitors. I am sure you can find their policy on the hospital website.

Since this is a precautionary visit to ICU, unless you have complications, I am sure as Deb said, you will get lots of attention.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 7/23/17 4:01 am

That's right. You may not get to have visitors. My sister was so annoying I sent her back to the hotel. She asked me one too many times "are you ok?"

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/24/17 6:41 am
RNY on 12/31/13

HAHAHAHAHA. I thought I was the only one who did this.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

BETH6536
on 7/23/17 4:41 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

I was in ICU not long ago after cancer surgery. They removed my kidney but accidentally cut open my spline.

Aside from being in the most amount of pain I have ever been in and getting pneumonia - it was great! I was in for 6 days and the nurses have a limited amount of patients so they were always there for me. I became more coherent around day 3 so they would hang out in my room at night and chat. (I normally work graveyard and sleep during the day)

The rooms are larger, have a large walk-in shower, and have a place for family to sleep. When I hit the button for a nurse they were there in seconds and were so caring.

The bad: they take your blood sugar regularly. I thought this was interesting at first and was curious what my blood sugar level was each time. That **** got old quick as my little fingers and toes were being poked constantly. I don't know how diabetics stand it!

They come in every 20 mins to take your blood pressure and O2 sats. You never get good sleep.

For my WLS I felt that my nurses were not as caring and even rude at times. It could be that I just got stuck with the B team but I took it personal for the type of surgery I had.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have great nurses on your stay.

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

seattledeb
on 7/24/17 2:35 am

You never wanna hear they accidentally hit your spine. Glad you made it through that.

I also find it funny patients expect to get any kind of rest the first night after surgery. If you were that well it would be outpatient.

ScottAndrews
on 7/23/17 5:08 am
RNY on 03/20/17

ICU's have ventilators. Im assuming that's probably why your pulmonologist wants you there. Just in case.

seattledeb
on 7/23/17 4:05 pm

Probably not. Doctor's love their patients in the ICU because of the close monitoring.

The ICU can keep her off the vent.

ScottAndrews
on 7/23/17 8:04 pm, edited 7/23/17 1:15 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Oh I'm not saying she'll need it. It's just about minimizing risk.

I spent my first night in post-op because there wasn't a "telemetry bed" available. My surgery ended well into the PM. In hindsight I would have been better off resting in a regular room but in post op I pretty much shared a nurse with just 1 other guy (also a bariatric case) and I was fully monitored. Post op was my version of "ICU-lite" ... Doctors orders.

I freaked the nurse out when at 3am after she gave me 2mg of dilaudid I announced that I was ready for a walk to the bathroom. I assured her that was I fine and she scolded me "Everybody says that!"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 291 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics