Any distal RNY'ers out there? Questions

ALighterMe 1.
on 7/24/17 12:46 pm

1) Do Distal RNY'ers eat the same as DS'ers?

2) Is malabsorption the same for distal RNY'ers as it is for DS'ers or does it also go away as a regular RNY'er?

3) What vitamins do you Distal RNY'ers take?

4) For veteran Distal people how are you doing now.

Thank you.

peachpie
on 7/24/17 1:22 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Can you define distal? I'm still confused on what's considered distal. My surgeon bypassed more than is standard (I forget exactly what- I think 100cm is standard, So think mine is 150 or 175cm).

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

ALighterMe 1.
on 7/25/17 9:43 am

I am trying to figure it out myself. I think it is a longer bypass.

selhard
on 7/25/17 12:25 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Only by reading on this forum and then requesting my medical record did I learn I had a distal RNY versus the more common proximal RNY. My ability to answer questions 1-3 are too weak of knowledge. I could answer question 4 if I knew exactly what you mean. If you mean, regain or no regain? sorry, the answer is regain--about 10%. If you mean complications? sorry, the answer is a bowel obstruction due to a hernia at 18 months post-op. If you mean happy with no regrets? the answer is an astounding YES!

ALighterMe 1.
on 7/25/17 9:45 am

Do you take Vitamins? If so, which ones? If you have had regain I assume because the malabsorption stopped?

selhard
on 7/26/17 10:32 am, edited 7/26/17 10:01 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Preface--about three years ago, I did ask my center why the surgeon gave me a distal versus proximal RNY. The response I got was (paraphrasing my takeaway) the post-op regiment for distal and proximal is the same but the surgeon believes the distal RNY will give me a higher chance for success. I was told malabsorption gradually fades between 12-18 months and mine did fall into that time frame. Regain does not happen to everybody. WLS has helped me be miles from where I used to; I continue to strive for more success regain or not.

Pre-warning-- the following is my WLS Center's guideline which may vary from yours and others. Here is how it reads: 1)Multivitamin chewable adult or children's complete 2 a day one in the morning and one later in the day 2) Vitamin D 3000 IU daily 3) Calcium Citrate (chewable or petite) must contain Vitamin D Take 2 daily, can absorb 500-600 mg at a time, 1200-1500 mg daily take a minimum of 2 hours after a multivitamin. 4) B-100 Complex must contain 100 mg Thiamine liquid or tablet form one daily, cut or crushed 5) Vitamin B12 Sublingual form 1000 mcg daily liquid or tablet form 6) Iron chewable best tolerated Women 325 mg ferrous fumarate with Vitamin C during menstrual cycle and 2 days after.

Newly post-op, I used and liked the brand name Bariatric Advantage supplements. Currently, I purchase supplements locally to save money; brands like Centrum chewable and Centrum Silver chewable multivitamins, Citracal calcium citrate, Nature's Made B100 and B12.

NHPOD9
on 7/26/17 10:46 am

I have a distal, although I wasn't informed ahead of time of this decision. I found out after the fact.

1/2. I believe all WLS surgeries work best with a lower carb/higher protein diet. DSers can eat more fat, because unlike RNYer (even distals), they will malabsorb for life, whereas RNYers will eventually cease to malabsorb. However, as a general rule, I am of the understanding that DS/RNY/VSG should all limit carbs.

3. I take the recommended vitamins for RNY, with added ones (like K2 and more D3) based on my lab results.

4. My regain is strictly a result of poor food choices. I am working on that. I am unable to tolerate iron, so I do need regular iron infusions. However, many WLS patients, not just distals, struggle with iron maintenance.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 423 views