Finally Home from Surgery 7/21

Laurel B.
on 7/24/17 12:46 pm - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

Afternoon! I had surgery 7/21, it wasn't until late in the day but things seemed to go well at first. I walked Friday night, I felt ok. I went to have an upper GI in the morning and was almost released. I then started having massively bloody stools. Scared the crap out of me, My doctor had still not visited me the following day until 6 pm, when his associate surgeon came in. He said the blood sometimes happens no worries I'll be home in the morning. In the mean time, over the course of the night and day my hemoglobin levels dropped and I had to sign the consent forms for a blood transfusion. Needless to say I didn't go home Sunday.

The bloody stools stopped, my hemoglobin levels dropped a bunch but didn't dip below 7 so no transfusion. They came back up and they let me leave this afternoon. They disconnected me from IV fluids yesterday because they said I had to be able get down enough liquids on my own. That's so hard. I previously had a lap band and drinking anything is just like when I would get "stuck" when I had the band. I'm really weak and don't have any energy. I'm assuming this is normal but if someone else wants to share, please do. I think I've gotten down 20 oz of fluids so far since this morning. I'm supposed to have a minimum of 64 fl oz according to my doc.

Did anyone else have the bloody stool thing? How was your energy level and ability to drink 4 days out from surgery?

5'8" HW:265 SW:235 CW:224 GW:160.

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

babsinga
on 7/24/17 12:56 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi Laurel,

Yup, that was me a few weeks ago. I was a revision from a gastric sleeve to RNY due to GERD, hiatal hernia and trouble swallowing. Right before getting ready to check out from hospital, I had a pool of bright red blood which was pure water stools. I freaked out and the nurse looked at it and I asked her "Is this normal"? She says "not normal" and contacts the surgeon. My surgeon has my labs checked again and believes it is the blood thinners. Labs were normal so I went to hotel (I am out of towner) . So then I get to the hotel and have at least 3 more bloody bowel explosions. I called her emergency number and she said she felt sure it would go away but if I felt that worried that I should go to emergency room. Went back to hospital and they checked my labs. Said it would pass. So it lasted several days after stopping blood thinner for a two days. I started blood thinner and then it started again but it was dark blood not the bright red post op. Called her again. Said stop the blood thinners.

Yes, its a full time job the first week getting in all your liquids. Now I am on mushies and feel somewhat human again! Hang in there. Its amazing how fast the human body recovers. Keep you liquids and protein up and you will be pass this in no time.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

HonestOmnivore
on 7/24/17 2:20 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

I had it too, lasted about a week and then it was gone. Keep at the water, little sips all the time! little sips, tiny sips, but constant sips :)

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

TriniShel
on 7/24/17 6:32 pm - Toronto, ON
RNY on 07/12/17

Scary indeed.

Hang in there and keep sipping. If it hurts stop. Just like the band (I had the band too). Try the water a little warmer. Stay away from hot and cold.

Keep us posted.

Shel

HW:340,CW:267,SW:281

1stDay(3 weeks)OptiFast-June 21,2017 - 292lbs :Surgeon:Dr.Laz V.Klein, Humber River. Surgery Date: July 12,2017

* I am not loosing weight, I am getting rid of it... I have no intention of finding it again

AngAng
on 7/26/17 6:36 am

so nice to hear of your experiences as a revision. I was banded in 2008 and now getting the RNY revision. Tell me all about your experience. Was it the same as the band? My pain from the band was minimal. I had the surgery on a Wednesday and was back to work on the following Tuesday. I work a desk job though.

Looking forward to hearing about your revision experience.

AngAng

Revision Lap Band to RNY Approved 5/10/17 Surgery Date 6/6/2017

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 441 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 383 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?