On mushies and wondering if this seems an appropriate amount?

babsinga
on 7/24/17 5:38 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Wow! Its amazing the difference mushy food makes ! I never thought I would be so happy to eat baby meat mush! I haven't had any discomfort at all. My surgeon did not give an amount per serving, but everything I have read ranges from a couple of tablespoons up to 3 ounces if you include pureed meat and a vegetable.

I was wondering when you were on mushies, how much did you eat per serving? I have been measuring 2 ounces of puree chicken or turkey with a table spoon or two of salsa. I still feel like I could eat more but I am not.

So I ended the day with :

Espresso flavored protein with decaf coffee

2 ounces of lowfat cottage cheese

2 ounces of tuna with tablespoon of low fat mayo

2 ounces of tuna later in day with low fat mayo

2 ounces of chicken puree with two tablespoons of salsa, teaspoon of low fat sour cream

60 ounces of water

Calories: 539 Protein 67 carbs 20

Does this seem low, high, just about right?

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

TriniShel
on 7/24/17 6:28 pm - Toronto, ON
RNY on 07/12/17
Au_Contraire
on 7/24/17 8:44 pm

My surgeon had me on liquids for the first 2 weeks.

Next came 9 days of soft foods. Following the plan I was given, this meant 3 soft-food meals a day, each meal to be no more than one ounce (1/8 of a cup, or 2 Tablespoons).

At the 3-week point, I could have more solid foods, but still just 1 ounce per meal.

Finally, once five weeks out from surgery, the amount I can have per meal has doubled, to 2 ounces per meal (1/4 cup).

During all of those stages, including the last one (where I still am), I had to have additional protein intake daily, via protein powder drinks.

Anyway, as of today I am 6 weeks out from surgery, and I have yet to be able to eat the full amount I am allowed (2 oz. each, for 3 meals total).

Others will have been instructed to eat more, however. Seems like there is a good deal of variety in what different surgeons recommend. I am very in the groove with my meal size, I can't eat the whole 2 oz. yet, but I feel good and have already lost 41.1 pounds as of this morning! I include the two week diet I followed immediately before my surgery in that figure.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/25/17 4:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On July 25, 2017 at 1:28 AM Pacific Time, TriniShel wrote:

Here is what my Dr. has recommended for week 3 (Pureed Food). Can't wait to get there on Thursday.

Just rememberr if you are full stop. It should take about 60-90 mins to eat a meal.

Breckie - 1/4 cup hot cereal made with low fat milk or 1 poached egg, 1/4 cup yougert, 2-4 tablespoons of pureed unsweetned fruit

Morning Snack - 1/2 cup protein and & 2 Tbsp pureed fruit

Lunch - 2-4 tbsp low fat pureed soup , 1-2 crackers, 1/3 cup of veggie or tomato juice, 1/3 cup protein

Afternoon Snack: 2-4 tbsp yougert, 1/2 protein drink

Dinner 2-4 tbsp of pureed lean meat or fish (not canned), 2 tbsp mashed potato(sweet), 2 tbsp pureed veg.

Evg Snack - 1/2 cup of protein drink

Hope this helps.

Shel

Your volumes are high, and some of the choices aren't good. Yogurt, cereal, fruit, and an egg for breakfast, at three weeks? That's a ton of food. Way too much volume. One egg, and that should be more than enough. Most can only do a half egg.

1/4 cup should be all you eat right now.

Cereal, crackers, and potatoes are just bad choices. It would be best to kick them to the curb now. Any kind of juice is just wasting precious calories. Likewise for fruit at this point.

Your body only needs protein and a little fat. All those other carbs are just going to slow down your weight loss.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TriniShel
on 7/25/17 4:58 am - Toronto, ON
RNY on 07/12/17

Well that is waht is recommended. My typo it is not and it is OR. So you are either having 1/4 cup yogert or 1 poached egg.

I agree that some of the choices are not great however that is the recommended from the clinic and hospital. They give you a list to choose from( which is too much to type).

Thanks for the pointers.

Shel

HW:340,CW:267,SW:281

1stDay(3 weeks)OptiFast-June 21,2017 - 292lbs :Surgeon:Dr.Laz V.Klein, Humber River. Surgery Date: July 12,2017

* I am not loosing weight, I am getting rid of it... I have no intention of finding it again

Grim_Traveller
on 7/25/17 6:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Remember, these lists are being made by people who never had WLS, have most likely never been morbidly obese (or even overweight), and just don't have to deal with what we have to. They are also the same people that only expect us to lose 60 percent of our excess weight, and to gain back 20 percent of that!

We didn't go through all of this to settle for those results. We all want everyone to do much, much better. Kick those carbs to the curb and focus on protein.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TriniShel
on 7/25/17 6:49 am - Toronto, ON
RNY on 07/12/17

Thanks for your opinion and advise.

My diet right now is very high in protein and I will continue with that once I start Puree. Remember I am not giving the whole story. I am just giving a sample menu of what is recommended on Pureed week. I know you are speaking from experience and you did a great job.

It is up to the person to make the right decision of eating 60-100 grams of protein a day and 6-8 cup of water. When you sit to eat... it is protein first then veg/fruit and grains. Balance.

I intend to heed your advise. Thanks.

HW:340,CW:267,SW:281

1stDay(3 weeks)OptiFast-June 21,2017 - 292lbs :Surgeon:Dr.Laz V.Klein, Humber River. Surgery Date: July 12,2017

* I am not loosing weight, I am getting rid of it... I have no intention of finding it again

Amy R.
on 7/25/17 9:26 am, edited 7/25/17 2:34 am

****edited because of my own confusion over which posts were being discussed**

ScottAndrews
on 7/24/17 8:31 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

539 cals is fine. You might as well ride the low-cal wave until it breaks.

you might want a bit more water.

Daisydoo02
on 7/25/17 3:37 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I think your menu looks fantastic Babs. I know this is not your first rodeo having had the sleeve first but remember your nerves were cut. You wont "feel" full until quite some time. That is why we are told to WEIGH & MEASURE everything as we can easily overeat because we don't have that full feeling.

When I was on "mushies" aka soft food it was 1/4 cup which I struggled to finish, I did have the "full" feeling, some of us do and some of us don't.

Again I know you are not new to this but just sharing what worked for me was low calorie, high protein, super low carb (I am crazy carb sensitive). So I think your stats are good, I would not go over 550 in calories and try and get to 75 protein if you can, and keep those carbs at no more than 20, preferably lower if you can, just my two cents. If you can increase your liquids that would be good. Sugar free popsicles also count as liquids, decaf coffee/tea, protein shakes, water with enhancers like Crystal light or Mio because for a lot of us RNYers plain water does not sit well post surgery with us.

If your NUTS plan includes crackers, melba toast, mashed potatoes or oatmeal PLEASE do me a favor and ignore that. Seriously those are the foods that got us all obese so why in the world do NUTs put them on post WLS diet plans is beyond me. For the record I am almost 4 years and don't eat that stuff now, didn't as a fresh post op either, its ridiculous they give those eating plans to newbies.

Best of luck, I think you are off to a great start!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 520 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics