Extreme Fatigue at 6 Months Post-op?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/28/17 2:55 am, edited 7/28/17 7:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

A high school friend had RNY 6 months ago and has lost 100 of the 150 pounds he expects to lose (goal set by surgeon). He was feeling great a couple of months ago but for the last few weeks has complained of extreme exhaustion and has had to cut back on work because of it and having a difficult time with daily tasks at home. He brought it up at his 6 month check a couple of days ago and the surgeon said: "the fatigue I have experienced is normal in the first year and not to be worried about" "The surgeon told me that they have found that many people, after gastric-bypass surgery, don't eat enough. If they don't, they won't have the stamina needed to keep physically active. He said that the lower food intake, inevitable after surgery, will cause fatigue as will all the hormonal changes that the body experiences with the huge weight loss."

Is this really normal? Did some of you experience this? I don't recall seeing discussions like this - they seem to be about how much more energy the individual has at this point.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/17 3:13 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I had the same experience as your friend. I thought I was back to normal, and then hit a wall at 6 months that lasted maybe a month.

I did NOT fall into the trap of eating more to make up for the lack of energy. I was still eating the same low cals when the fatigue passed. I ate exactly the same all the way through, until I hit goal.

I have no idea why it happened, neither did my surgeon. I'd just chalk it up to being part of the process, and focus on getting rid of all the excess weight.

I don't hear about this being an issue very often, perhaps becayse the vast majority of folks here are women. Maybe it's a male-related hormonal thing?

Tell him to take extra naps. It will pass.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/28/17 3:17 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Thanks - this makes me feel better. I was worried that something might be wrong.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 7/28/17 3:53 am - Burleson, TX

LIZ - it's been a really long time ago, since I was 6 months out, but, thinking back, on your question:

At 6 months out, I had lost my first 100, and my precious Granny had just died. Thinking back, I was a physical/mental wreck for at least a month. I attributed to Granny's death (she was "my person"), and all the hub bub surrounding that...but maybe it was physical also...I know it seemed like forever before I had my PHYSICAL strength back, even though I was vigilant with my protein/exercise/etc.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

ScottAndrews
on 7/28/17 4:48 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I'm about 4.5 months out and I do feel a bit of a lull from where I was just a couple of months ago. I find myself nodding off a lot and I hit the sack earlier and heavier. I also deal with a fair amount of that orthostatic hypotension. I do think the weather plays a part as I try to spend as much time as possible outdoors getting sun and walking. I probably should be drinking much more water and really limiting bad things like ya know....beer. Losing a half-pound plus per day over a long period of time is hard on our bodies. It's bizarre because it feels so easy to do but our bodies don't lie. It really is a taxing process.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/28/17 5:50 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I didn't personally experience this, but a male in my RL support group sure did. I remember well because he and I had surgery within weeks of each other and thus we were always comparing notes.

I recall it was around six or seven months out -- only because I was preparing to leave for our six week trek across country -- which we did in July. He mentioned that he actually canceled his family trip because he really felt too tired. He is a postal employee and was having trouble working. He wanted the time he'd use for a trip to simply rest. They were running some extra blood tests, etc to see what had caused the fatigue.

I am still friends with him -- and it turned out to be nothing. I probably wouldn't even have remembered that incident except for reading your post.

Reading this and seeing that other males report the same experience makes me question if this is perhaps a more uniquely male response to surgery. Just thinking out loud here -- most men have significantly larger weight losses at a much faster rate. Additionally, they begin with more muscle mass --so it would stand to reason that they also lose more muscle mass (perhaps not proportionally)?

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/17 7:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think you're on to something. But since it isn't serious, I doubt medicine will bother looking into it very closely.

It is something that would be helpful for people to look out for though, just so they know it's an expected part of the process.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/28/17 6:03 am

Nope. I was tired, fatigued and dizzy for the first 4 months post-op. At six months I was starting to feel good.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/17 6:12 am

I've been more fatigued lately, at three months post-op. I saw my doctor Tuesday for a checkup and he told me what your friend's doctor told him. It's normal, we're eating less, we're still recovering from major surgery, it's nothing to worry about. My exhaustion isn't as severe as his, though. I had a busy weekend, and it took me a few days to feel rested.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/28/17 7:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I appreciate all the feedback - I was concerned about my friend!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 378 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404