Question about headaches

Doxie-mom
on 8/24/17 7:03 am
RNY on 03/13/17

Hello all -

I have been getting up with dull headaches for a while now ( I do not take anything for them). I initially thought it was due to my blood pressure being too low (that was not however the only symptom I had), as it was running quite a bit lower than it had been. I saw cardiologist for that, because the meds that she has me on although not for high blood presser, cause my blood pressure to go down. My cardiologist lowered the dosage of my medicine by half, but I am still having the dull headache thing going on (all of the other symptoms are gone).

I am beginning to wonder if it is lack of food that is causing it (low blood sugar maybe). I generally eat my last meal of the day at 5:30 - 6:00 pm and then I do not eat again until 7 - 8 am. It takes me until around 11 to feel human again. I have usually eaten twice by this time. It is not only the head ache but a flu like type of feeling. I guess the best way to describe it is how I feel the day after all of the horrible flu stuff is over. Lack of energy, feeling run down, just generally icky.

I do mix a scoop of protein powder in my iced coffee every morning (50 calories, 11 grams protein) that I drink on the way to work at 5:30 also. I drink 2 cups of regular coffee and two cups of decaf when I work. If I am off I drink decaf and usually only 2 cups.

Any ideas as to what may be causing it?

I have an appointment with my PCP next week for another unrelated issue, but will discuss it with her then as well.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Tammy

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/17 7:13 am

Low BS in the middle of the night can set me up for a morning headache.

Or constipation. Often my morning headache goes away after I have complete BM.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Doxie-mom
on 8/24/17 1:31 pm
RNY on 03/13/17

I thought of something else that I have changed in the last month or so. I said that I have coffee in the morning, but I just started that, but I also add SF creamer and SF syrup to my coffee - I am now wondering if the sweetener in these could cause the icky feeling as well as the headache. I am not so sure that I am waking up with them or if I get them after I have been up a while - I just know that I have them everyday, and always by the time I get to work at 7.

Again thanks for any input.

Tammy

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/24/17 3:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Entirely possible that these are the problem; some people develop an intolerance to artificial sweeteners. Can you try skipping the creamer and syrup for a few days to see if things improve?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

karenp8
on 8/24/17 2:11 pm - Brighton, IL

I had that headache and yucky feeling early on in my weight loss phase. I used hubby's meter and checked my sugar which was way low. My surgeon doesn't like snacks but told me to add a small bedtime snack and the headaches were no longer a problem.

kitmouse
on 8/24/17 5:01 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

Are you taking your supplements?

I have a brain injury from a car accident long ago, so I have a neurologist. A couple of years ago (pre-bypass) I was having really bad issues with cluster headaches and migraines. I went to my neurologist, and one of the first things he did was test my ferritin. Turns out, it was 8. YEAH, that bad. He immediately put me on iron supplements and the headaches went away. Now my ferritin is in the 60s. Or, it was before my surgery 7/27!

My point being, there are a lot of deficiencies that have headaches as a side-effect. If you haven't had labs done recently, get thyself to a phlebotomist!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics