Pre surgery Jitters!

MTS31801
on 9/14/17 3:26 pm

Hi I haven't been to the forum for a while. I've been jumping thru my insurance hoops! I have only two more requirement and I can get my surgery date. Now that I'm so close I'm having the jitters! My mind is starting to question what I'm about to do. I have a BMI of over 60 and I really want to lose the weight and get healthy. I'm scared that the weight won't come off or that I won't lose as much as I want.

The two week pre op liquid diet has me anxious then having a post op liquid diet has me really anxious. ( Can I really do this?) I know I need to do this and I am committed. I'm alone and only have myself to rely on! I want this I really do! I want to be able to move again...Walk and not get winded or tired or have back and knee pain. Am I strong enough mentally? Will my life really be better?

All that's left for me to do is blood work and a release from my cardiologist for surgery. These appointments have been made! I am still trudging on!

cowdoc
on 9/14/17 3:36 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

As someone immediately post-op and in pain from the surgery, I'm still feeling confident that this is the right move. The liquid diet isn't so bad. It was fascinating to me because it highlighted how much food was involved in everything I did- I.e. I would stop at this restaurant for a special treat when I went to 'x' doctor appointment or when I drove a certain way to work. It really highlighted some areas of weakness that I can work on as I resume a more "normal" diet (at least normal for us).

Keep strong and stay in touch.

MTS31801
on 9/14/17 3:40 pm

Thanks I will. Trying to psych myself up for this up coming event!

dorothy1110
on 9/14/17 8:18 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I agree. I am now 8 days Post-op. I still feel confident that I can do this. I sat and thought today that I have to make my self drink/eat. I have no appetite, but drink/eat because I know I need to. I use to be able to guzzle down a bottle of water, now it takes a couple hours to drink it. Good Luck you can do this we all can do this life change together.

betterlifeforme
on 9/18/17 5:58 am
RNY on 07/26/17

I feel the same way. I am almost 7 weeks out and I still don't have an appetite and loved to guzzle the water down so that I could be down with it, but now I have to really think about it because I still want to guzzle then you get the pain and you remember. Its all about breaking tons of bad habits.

ScottAndrews
on 9/14/17 4:15 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

The initial post op diet is a breeze because you don't really get hungry. I think the trick is to ride that weight loss wave as long and as far as you can. Keep that BMI headed south. First goal is 55 BMI, then 50, then 45 and so on and so forth. Slow and steady is best. Think of this as a marathon not a sprint Good luck!

MTS31801
on 9/14/17 4:50 pm

Thanks ! My psych evaluator kept asking me how I reacted when I over indulged. If I beat myself up or if I just started over with my next meal. I need to keep it in mind that this is not a sprint like you said. I'm just so anxious to lose the weight.

Doxie-mom
on 9/14/17 5:10 pm
RNY on 03/13/17

Hi, I am 6 months out from surgery as of yesterday. I started out with a BMI of 63. I have lost over 90 pounds in that 6 months. I had to jump thru lots of hoops to be able to have my insurance cover my surgery. I had to have 6 months of visits with my doctor while trying to lose weight. I lost 84.8 pounds during the 6 1/2 months I spent jumping through those hoops. I totally recommend doing low carb diet now while you finish jumping through hoops, it made it easier for me going into the liquid diet.

The only regret that I have is that I didn't do this 10 - 15 years ago.

I'm sure you will do great, I wish you the best of luck!!

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

ChristyO
on 9/14/17 5:29 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

Sweetie let me give it to you straight. I swear to you the surgery is nothing. I was done in like 2 1/2 hours. But then was in recovery you know how hospitals take all day to finally get you in a room. Just tiny little incisions that heal very fast. I did ask for some pain meds after anesthesia started wearing off only needed one dose never asked again. I was up and putting my jeans and tennis shoes on at 7 am all by myself . sure your groggy from surgery but my friend picked me up and we stopped and visited a friend who lived close I walked right in their house to visit them went home later. The weight comes off but it does take a little time . I lost 100 pounds in 8 months. I cheated on the liquid diet but did my best. It made no difference. Its easy to do the diet after surgery cause your kinda recovering. Even my own surgeon told me all this , he said it was no big deal and he was right. I even asked about possible infection and he almost chuckled and said no and he was right and he is one of the best. Do it and thank God you were approved and feel lucky you just won the lottery. you will loose the weight. I'm living again I Travel everywhere Im going to a cave tour adventure next ,....tons of steep stairs I can do it all. Your fears are not the reality. There are some out here that like attention or have never had surgery before getting your tonsils out and a terrible sore throat is much worse than this surgery. Its the easiest thing I've ever done. You will feel so good about yourself and you will start living a real fun life. Like I said I didn't feel great when anesthesia wore off but they take care of you) you would be nuts to back out. Just stay strong and buck up get it over with. Your one of the lucky ones a lot of people get denied on insurance. If you broke your leg you would suffer 100 times worse than this minor surgery.' I've kept 102 Pounds off I just lost some more because I've been vacationing and walking at places site seeing. Would you rather get thin get great clothes and be told all the time how GREAT you look and live your life or do nothing be miserable with low self esteem and end up having a heart attack. Take life By the horns and you will start living . I do remember being worried that the weight loss took time. But it comes off faster for men. I'm a busy person and I took time out to tell you the truth some attention getters will attack me because this blows their poor me I've really been through something deal. It absolutely cures acid reflux 100% and no more constipation etc. It cures type 2 diabetes immediately and helps high blood pressure etc. Etc. Everyone On the planet should do it I have 5 friends who have done it I know what I'm talking about. Insurance companies are ignorant not to pay for it because it cures so much. It used to be only the very rich and Hollywood actors that could get it. Take care I'm pulling for you.

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

MTS31801
on 9/14/17 5:51 pm

Thanks ChristyO! I have committed to this surgery! I have wanted it for years! Just heard from my PC and I can go for the bloodwork any time! Thinking about doing it tomorrow! I know I need this. Will be on the forum and let you all know what's happening!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics