Almost 7 weeks Post-Op rny

mirandaF
on 9/26/17 3:40 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

Some things I have noticed now that I'm 7 weeks post-op.

1. My bottom feels like it has zero padding anymore, no matter how little i sit, where I sit, it doesn't stop reminding me that my body is changing and oh my gosh does it get sore.
  2. Still trying to get in the required amount of water I need. I'm still struggling very badly on this and I know I need to step up my game to keep myself hydrated.
  3. I am cold all the time. Even when it was still 90+ degree weather here, I got cold. I now sit with a heating pad (that almost looks like a mini heating blanket) and I have just come to the conclusion that my hands + feet will probably remain feeling cold LOL.
  4. I'm starting to see some differences in my clothing sizes. I actually fit into a 1x shirt and pants. I tried on a 1x shirt last night and my first thought was.. this is not going to fit.. Well I tried it on and low and behold it fit. It's not as long as I like (I have a dun lap - you know.. your belly dun laped over your legs?) and so my shirt didn't hide that part of my fat. But I actually went into a store and I didn't feel as bad. That is until I passed by a mirror and I could see myself more, but I know this will get better.
  5. I am starting to see an actual body shape to myself instead of just a large round blob. I never thought I would have an hourglass shape, but by golly.. it's there and I love how it looks even this early out.
  6. I still have a very hard time seeing changes in myself when I look in a mirror. I see minor things, but my husband has to point out other things before my mind will register them, and then I have to work at seeing improvements. It's like my brain is hard coded into seeing just the fat me, and refuses to see the slightly less fat me.
  7. My tastes in food have changed, but my brain's idea of my food tastes has not. Meaning.. I see food I used to think was so wonderful and yummy, and I get a little taste of it now.. and suddenly I'm just like.. wow, that was not as good as I thought it was.
  8. I still make bad choices because my head hunger wins over and I try something out, only to regret later with dumping syndrome. I swear to myself not to do that again, only to find something else I thought would be ok and get treated to another round of dumping syndrome. I hate dumping syndrome, but I'm glad for it at the same time. I hate how this sounds when I think it, but I can't help it. My head hunger wins sometimes, and it's just something I'm going to have to deal with, and realize that I will not always win. But I win more than I loose, which before I didn't. And I'm making those losses less and less and someday I will be loss free.
  9. My husband I think gets a little more insecure the less I weight. He never puts me down, or makes me feel unloved, but he puts himself down more. I wish I could take that pain from him, because I know and understand what it's like being overweight.
  10. Sometimes I talk more about my weight than I should. My friends get in touch with me and I'm like.. I lost 4 lbs!! They are of course happy for me, but I think sometimes they would much rather talk about other things then my weight loss... or how things are changing so drastically for me. Sometimes I just stop talking because my anxiety gets the better of me and I just smile and nod.
  11. I have already hit 1 stall of almost 2 1/2 weeks where 265 was my weight. Now I'm down to 261 and I've remained there for 3 days and I really wish my scale would start moving again because I don't want to be stuck in another stall for another 2 1/2 weeks. I don't want to be one of those people that stall every 4 lbs. I know I have everything in my body working against me on loosing, including surgical menopause and PCOS. I look forward to the day when I just have to worry about maintenance.
  12. And last but not least, I love coming here and reading everyone's day to day things. I love to read the good and the bad, because then I don't feel so alone, and I can relate sometimes to how other people feel. I know things can only get better as time goes on, but sometimes it's the path leading up to that, that feels the hardest to travel.
ScottAndrews
on 9/26/17 4:24 pm, edited 9/26/17 9:25 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I'd stay away from the scale. Eat the right things and your weight will decrease. I check once a month.

And what you think is dumping could be reactive hypoglycemia.

mirandaF
on 9/26/17 7:07 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

From what I've read of reactive hypoglycemia, most believe dumping syndrome to be another form of this. So I would definitely not rule this out. As for staying away from the scale, it's hard for me ... I've gone from having to weigh myself weekly from before surgery to now this.. I've tried to stretch it to two weeks / scale but baby steps I guess :)

pammieanne
on 9/27/17 11:17 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I weigh every.single.day... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Everyone is different, and you'll just have to do what works best for you on that account.

Believe it or not, your butt will start to feel better, but I swear, early out it's awful how much it hurts to sit! LOL

I used to talk about my weight loss so much that I think my friend's tongues bled from trying not to tell me to shut up already! I found coming here and talking about it gave me an outlet where other folks didn't mind - and honestly cheered me on with enthusiasm!

Head hunger is the worst, and only gets worse as time goes on - hate to be the bearer of bad news on that account, but it's true. Try to find ways to get a grip on it now while you have the honeymoon phase to help you. I think it's something we will have to fight for the rest of our lives.

Ugh... the cold. All I can say there is invest in heaters/ heating blankets/ pocket warmers... because I still haven't gotten over this phase... if it is indeed a phase. I hate it!

And lastly, Congratulations!! Keep up the good work!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/29/17 8:08 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I seemed to pass out of the always cold phase a little over a year out. My periodic hot flashes came back too (were gone post-WLS). I don't get as hot in summer and need warmer clothes now that it is cooling down, but I think that is because of less insulation at this point.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

dorothy1110
on 9/27/17 8:36 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I am 3 weeks out and I have been much colder since surgery. My family was hot the day they picked me up at the hospital and I was freezing. They sent me home with my hospital blanket( my insurance probably paid a large price for it). I use that blanket all the time. My husband will look at me and say how are you cold. I Just say I am. I have called my blanket from the hospital my blankie. I also use a heating pad to stay warm at times. I was saying I will need a good winter jacket this year. I usually am the mom that makes sure my kids are toasty warm with a good jacket and home made scarves, hats, and mittens. I would run out the door in a heavy sweatshirt. I think I will be freezing if I try that. I think this year an nice warm winter jacket with I scarf and mittens will be me. Congrats on the XL shirt. Getting enough fluids in is hard. I just finished my 64 oz. a few minutes ago. Keep up the good work. I love coming on here also.

Kathy1212
on 9/28/17 6:50 am

Congrats on all of the positive changes and great insights!

My bum hurt early on too, and then was fine for months, and now hurts again at 7 months out. I used to love long baths but now it really hurts to sit in the tub so I prefer showers now, lol.

I get cold much faster too, especially my hands and feet. I just crocheted myself some fingerless gloves last night so I can wear them indoors and still type, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathy S.
on 9/29/17 1:12 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?