Period Probs?

MeerKat1994
on 10/2/17 9:23 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Hey everyone!

So I'm 5 months post op. My period has been regular and honestly a little lighter than normal, lasting between 2-5 days. And mild as far as cramps go.

This months period has been different. My period has now lasted 8 days, the past 5 have been very heavy. The cramps have been heavier than usual and I've been experiencing some nausea.

Is weird to have such a change in my period 5 months post op? Should I call my gyno or surgical staff? Or is it pretty normal?

mirandaF
on 10/2/17 10:20 am
RNY on 08/07/17

It could have been a build up (sometimes surgeries can mess up your hormones.) And while it was very light and only so many days, you could of still had a build up. However, I would go to your Gyno first and foremost. It never hurts to get checked. Your surgical staff will not be the ones you want to go to first though. Your gyno is trained to look into things like this.

Most gynos will want to do a scan, to take a look into your uterus. They may even order blood tests to check your levels and make sure they are doing ok.

So over all.. call that Gyno first and go with their recommendation. But don't let them put you off as this is just a strange one time thing. Over 8 days and still being heavy is an oddity, so better to be safe then sorry.

MeerKat1994
on 10/2/17 1:47 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Great advice! Thanks. I'm definitely going to give me gyno a call.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/17 10:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's absolutely common for your period to be messed up while losing a lot of weight. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and when you lose weight the hormones all go flowing out into your system. That can throw off your period by quite a bit.

That said, if you're in rough enough shape that you're feeling queasy, it's probably a good idea to call your gyno. Better safe than sorry!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MeerKat1994
on 10/2/17 1:48 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

So true! Thanks for that advice. It's always helpful to hear others thoughts.

Lishamc1
on 10/2/17 11:55 pm

5 months does seem odd to just now have problems, are you on any birth control? I have 3 weeks out and have now had my period for 2 weeks. My hormones are going crazy and have been very emotional and some days a raging b*tch. But I was off of birth control for 5 years and a week before surgery I had the iud placed. I would definitely call your obgyn though.

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 465 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views