Preop Weight Gain worries

Sassylike
on 10/24/17 8:27 am

I've gained 5 pounds since my first dietician appointment and I'm so worried. I see her again next Thursday and I really need to try and get a handle on things and at least maintain for my next appointment. So worried because she said Aetna is adamant about NOT gaining weight preop... but I feel I've already failed.

Im tracking what I eat but having trouble limiting my diet and curbing cravings. Thinking about trying just shakes and a lite dinner over the weekend.

Im scared of what will happen if I gain at my next appointment

Dcgirl
on 10/24/17 8:37 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

If you want to lose weight before next Thursday, you will have to take in less calories than you expend.

I lost 12 lbs on a two week liquid diet before surgery. My diet consisted of protein shakes (at least 1 g of protein per 10 calories, so a 200 calorie or less shake had to have 20 g of protein), sugar-free jello, sugar-free popsicles, chicken broth, Dannon light and fit greek yogurt. It might sound extreme to go on a liquid diet just for a doctors appointment, but you need to decide how badly you want this.

Some people's pre-op diets included shakes for two meals and one small meal of dense protein and veggies.

For me, pre-op, if I just cut the carbs and did protein I could lose weight. Let's face it, I didn't become Super Morbidly Obese (SMO) from chicken breast, ground turkey, and tilapia. It was pizza, tacos, pasta, Doritos etc that did me in.

Good luck. You're worth the effort to become your healthiest and most energized version of you yet. You have to decide if you're willing to invest :)

CarlRay
on 10/24/17 9:29 am
RNY on 02/28/17

100% on what DC Girl said, plus get yourself a good waterbottle (24 oz or so) that you like carrying around because you'll have one with you for good after. Even with pre-op habits, get the water in you. Flavour it with a mio or drop some lemon wedges in it first thing, and drink away. It may seem counter intuitive to add water to shed water weight but it will flush out your system after a day or two and help throw the pounds off the scale. When you're cooking or seasoning any food, don't add salt. That'll help.

I found that if I wanted to lose a few pounds leading up to a consult, I eliminated ANY snacking altogether and replaced it with flavoured water and a walk, and I'd drink two shakes per day. Supper was a piece of chicken and some steamed vegetables. I used Mrs. Dash a little bit to flavour the veggies, but I found when I knocked off the salt, the natural flavour of them really stood out, almost like something new.

For me, evening snacking was (and is) a time that KILLS me. Curbing snacking isn't easy - but it's possible. In my case, I put the earbuds in, pop a sugar free mint if I have to, and go for an evening walk. Getting up and out of the zone of temptation really helps.

You can do this.

ScaleSkater
on 10/24/17 10:38 am, edited 10/24/17 3:40 am

Failed is too harsh, but remember why they want you to demonstrate control and weight loss before hand. Can you make this tool work at a time with the most motivation? I say this to encourage you, not the reverse. Focus on why you want this and dig deep over these next few days/weeks. This is not the tomorrow syndrome where you go oops I blew it - I'll restart tomorrow. Go for it. It's worth it!! Good luck.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

ScottAndrews
on 10/24/17 11:24 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Insurance companies are adamant about not throwing out tens of thousands of dollars on a surgery that may not do its job over the long term so gaining weight when you should be losing weight is a big red flag for them.

It it may be a big red flag for you as well. Not sure over what time frame you gained 5 pounds but morbidly obese folks can consume a lot of calories and maintain the same weight

Amy Liz
on 10/24/17 5:12 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

When I was 300+ pounds, my weight fluctuated quite a bit. I could easily gain or lose 5 pounds overnight.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 177 GW 175

ScottAndrews
on 10/24/17 6:15 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I certainly believe it. You should see what kind of dehydration/starvation regimen boxers put themselves through to "make weight". Then the next day they weigh in 15 lbs heavier.

But I doubt any of that means anything to the powers-that-be over at Aetna. I was an Aetna patient as well and I was told on day 1 that a net gain could disqualify me.

Amy Liz
on 10/24/17 6:56 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

Wow, that is harsh. I am Anthem BC and I guess I don't remember that part? I was 309 at my consultation and 6 mo later exactly 309 on surgery day. I was not required to lose anything or do the liquid diet beforehand. I just fasted the day before. I was actually worried that if I lost weight pre-op that they would say, look, she can do it on her own and deny me!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 177 GW 175

ScottAndrews
on 10/24/17 7:46 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I had to do a physician monitored nutrition and excercise program including 3 sessions with a personal trainer. I didn't lose much weight as I was always near 40 BMI and I was also told not to go under as that was also risking disqualification. I probably lost 5 lbs and half that might have been in the last 48 hours.

I guess they wanted to see some commitment and for you to be somewhat versed in nutrition and exercise.

Kathyjs
on 10/24/17 6:15 pm

Maybe some counseling ? If you find it hard now? This is a lifetime commitment. You know you have to lose pre op and gain. Red flag. Buckle down, get serious and you can do this, don't give up now

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics