feeling of vomiting

dorothy1110
on 10/27/17 5:03 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I am over 7 weeks out from surgery. I was wondering does or has had trouble eating. If I eat something one day does not mean I can eat it the next. I am having trouble with water. I know this sounds weird but the taste of water is sometimes weird. Taste of things are different. I got gum today to try and it taste nasty. My daughter was happy to get a pack of gum. My favorite Crystal Light flavors don't taste right anymore, even premiere protein taste is different. I know I am not getting enough water and protein even though I try. My Dietitian tells me to try to get more water and protein in. It seems to be hard. I did not know it would be this hard after RNY. How do you do it?

gbears
on 10/27/17 5:19 pm

I am only 4 weeks out but I had the same thing. When I went for my one week follow up I asked the nurse about it and she said it was very common. I ultimately just changed what I was eating. Unfortunately it was sweet things that I couldn't handle so I had my mom go out and get unflavoured protein and I mixed it with soup to get my protein in. I found that I am okay with savoury tastes, it is just the sweet that I am not great with. It is calming down a bit for me which is also apparently normal over time.

It sucks but try out different tastes - sweet or savoury or creamy or bland. If one is bugging you, move to a different taste for a bit.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

HFA70
on 10/28/17 7:47 am

although water is best and very important after surgery, forever.

I get some of my water intake with decaf tea, chilled, with lemon and chicken stock, I will drink it as a snack.

Good luck!

MeerKat1994
on 10/28/17 1:54 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

The bad taste might just mean you're in ketosis. Give it a few weeks and see if it goes back to normal. Do things smell funny now too? If so, it's probs ketosis.

dorothy1110
on 10/30/17 8:03 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I have noticed since surgery smells are different. Chicken does not always smell good to me. When I left Drs office last week I smelt the smell from Mc Donalds next door it stunk To me.

ggcookie
on 10/29/17 10:40 am

Re: Dorothy I had my RNY on Dec.16th, 2014 for GERD. Start weight was 238lbs. On Jan 3rd, 2015, I had blood clot**** my lungs...2 in the left lung caused many problems and after having fluid drained every two weeks at the hospital of surgery, I was sent to Mayo Clinic in Rochester for continued care and possibility of surgery to put lung back in place! It was like an orange peel cover over bottom of lung and it would not inflate....only filled with fluid and was painful. In May I was too weak at 110lbs, and Mayo released me because surgery was too detrimental to my survival. Food was an issue for me, and I lived on the individual portions of KFC mashed potatoes and gravy....and a few bites of their cold slaw. I also could not drink water, and started drinking Arizona sweet tea with a straw! and still have that as my liquid during the day. I drink cappuchino mix in the morning (2 cups) which gets my system started...also with a straw! I can drink a cup of coffee with cream when having food out...just small sips. I can eat more variety of foods...but aso have a problem with filling up with a thick foamy fluid and as a result have to throw up...one bite too many, or sometimes the juices or spices may cause the discomfort....could be at home or being somewhere else...so have to be careful. I have been between 130 and 134lbs for the last year and wear a size 8. My strength is back and some of my thoughts about eating is to order the bacon crisp....settle with a half of a sandwich with a salad or soup....oatmeal with blueberries and bananas for breakfast...chicken with no skin...2 pitted dates each day, and always add a green at least 2 or 3 times a week(I am on warfarin due to the blood clots for the rest of my life) and if I can help with anything else would love to hear back. Happy to have found this site....I am probably older than most at 74, but enjoy friends that have gone through this surgery. Just call me Cookie

dorothy1110
on 10/30/17 8:00 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

Thank you Cookie I like this site. A lot of friendly people on here, I like the support. Thanks for the info. Have a good night.

Queen JB
on 10/31/17 6:14 am
RNY on 07/20/15

It's not uncommon for your tastes to change really dramatically after surgery. That's why most programs tell you not to stock up on protein shakes you like before surgery, because what you like pre-op, is often different post op.

Dehydration is the most common post op complication. Plain water can be rough on a lot of us. I am 9 years out from my original surgery and 2+years out from my revision and I still struggle with plain water sometimes. Just last week, I drank plain water too quickly and actually had to vomit it up. There is something about plain water and surface tension that makes it hard to keep down.

Liquids are liquids, so don't worry about plain water: Vitamin Water, Propel, protein shakes, tea, coffee, etc. all okay. Also, try playing around with different temperatures. My pouch likes hot liquids when I first wake up and after dinner, but ice ice ice cold during the day.

Are you still on protein shakes? I still supplement with protein shakes here and there. It's the best way to kill 2 birds with one stone and get protein and hydration in at once. There are coffee flavored shakes that you can mix with ho****er or coffee, you can add premiere protein as a creamer to coffee, and there are just about a billion flavor combos and recipes to play with. Have you googled The World According to Eggface? She has the BEST protein shake recipes.

Hope you feel better soon.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

dorothy1110
on 11/2/17 4:42 am
RNY on 09/06/17

JuniperBerry-

I drink premier protein, Strawberries and cream and the caramel seem to be the only ones I can get down now a days. I use to count them towards my liquid intake goal of 64 oz. Now my dietitian wants me to use jus****er to get to that goal. I have been able to get down my water a little easier this week. I use my reusable cup that has a lid and straw, usually refer to it as my straw cup. I use 1 bottle of cold spring water and mix in a crystal light. I am liking the flavor Wild Strawberry this week and also peach tea from my local store brand. Then I put in ice. It is easier to get down. I even let the amount of ice cubes I use melt in my measuring cup to see how many ounces of water it is after it melts. I get 20.9 ounces from one cup. 16.9 with bottle of water and 4 ounces with ice.

I have heard of The World According to Eggface. Just never checked it out. I actually will look at it after this.

Thank You.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 113 views