Vitamins....RNY

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/9/17 2:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Which type of Bariatric Advantage pills, specifically, are you taking? I believe they're all dry vitamins so there shouldn't be an issue.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CollieMom
on 11/9/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 05/19/17

My vitamins are the Bariatric Advantage Advanced Multi EA - 2 chewable tabs once a day. The Calcium chew are the ones that look like Starbursts - 3 spread out over the day.

Btw, just for the record, I love this forum! I'm so, so happy that I found you guys!!

Karen

62 year old woman, surgery 5/19/2017 - HW - 345, CW - 139, GW - 160ish (BMI based healthy weight - 140)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/9/17 3:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm no expert, but these look just fine by me. Chewable D is OK, it's the stuff in the capsules (filled with oil) that don't work for RNYers. You may need to supplement with additional iron, but your surgeon can advise you on that based on your bloodwork results over time.

You might want to log the calories and carbs from these, just in case. The calcium chews have 5g carbs each, which can add up if you're taking 2 or 3 per day; ideally, it's good to stay under 25g carbs if you can while losing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CollieMom
on 11/9/17 3:27 pm
RNY on 05/19/17

Thanks Julie - I really appreciate the help.

Karen

62 year old woman, surgery 5/19/2017 - HW - 345, CW - 139, GW - 160ish (BMI based healthy weight - 140)

rocky513
on 11/9/17 5:38 pm, edited 11/9/17 9:39 am - WI

The only thing you need to watch is the B12. Everything else in your vitamin is fine as long as it is 200% of recommended dosage.

Calcium should be Calcium Citrate not Calcium Carbonate. If it's Calcium Citrate, your all good!

Edited to add: Gummi Vitamins are also not absorbed well by RNY patients. Any vitamin in gel cap form is a not good either.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

CollieMom
on 11/9/17 6:16 pm
RNY on 05/19/17

B-12. Got it. And that needs to be sublingual, right?

Amy R.
on 11/9/17 8:15 pm

some people use the injections for their B-12. I needed a prescription for the injections so I ended up doing the sublingual and it works just fine.

rocky513
on 11/10/17 4:19 am - WI

Sublingual, injections, or nasal spray, but please don't go out and supplement without checking labs. Don't waste the money if you don't have to.

If your labs show a B12 over 1000 you don't need to supplement. Keeping a spread sheet of your lab numbers and watching for any downward trends is really important. You supplement when you notice a downward pattern.

I don't know anything about bariatric vitamins. In another post on this thread it was pointed out that bariatric vitamins have 2333% more that the recommended dose of B12. You can absorb small amounts of B12 in your small bowel which explains why the B12 is so high in bariatric vitamins. They are counting on that small amount of intestinal absorption.

Bottom line...supplement according to your lab work.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Donna L.
on 11/9/17 6:17 pm, edited 11/9/17 10:18 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You still absorb fat to varying degrees with a RNY, however if you want to maximize absorption, I would always encourage you to take the water-soluble forms of ADEK when there are issues. D in particular can actually cause lots of bone issues and other stuff. I take the ProCare vitamins myself, but I take dry vitamins to supplement when my labs come back poorly (I get vitamin labs every 3-6 months, depending).

"But Donna, you have a sleeve!" That's right, but I also have Celiac and my D is always laughably ridiculous, like a 6, if I don't take it - yes, a 6 - and I have a sleeve and no malabsorption from surgery. But yeah, anyone with malabsorption issues should take dry forms/water soluble vitamins whenever needed. Doctors...don't quite get that. I've taken dry D for years just because of the Celiac. We malabsorb iron and all that fun stuff, too, since its the duodenum that get**** in our case.

Note that this is not standard advice. However, I don't think it makes sense to waste money on OTC vitamin D when the water-soluble is still cheap (get BioTech on Amazon) and works well.

My other non-standard advice: anyone with malabsorption, and not just DS patients, should get their PTH and ferritin checked regularly. If your D is low you might want to get a DEXA scan and/or check PTH since you are many years post-op to check your bone health.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/17 8:27 am - OH

The Vit D that you should NOT take is any kind that is in oil in a gelcap OR the Vit D2 (which is what they usually give you when ou get a prescription for it). The problem is that the D2 has to be converted to D3 by the body and a lot of the vitamin is lost in that conversion process. There are a number of manufacturers who make a small dry Vit D capsule at a very high dose (50,000). If you get these, you only have to ale one once or twice a week (depending on your lab results and where you are starting at).

The sublingual B12 is also available in a large dose version. I take the 5,000 unit B12 "dots" from Twinlabs. It is around $25 per bottle, but -- since I only take it once a week -- that single bottle of 100 lasts many months.

You should probably consult your doctor about the ferritin issue. Oral supplements are probably not going to help with it being so low.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404