New here, wanted to say hello

Readyforanewlife
on 11/14/17 9:18 am

Amen.

Writergurl08
on 11/10/17 11:57 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Welcome! I'm still pre-op but trying to get my head right before I take the plunge. Checking out the daily menu thread (right here in the RNY board) is super helpful for coming up with new things to eat or try on most stages of the process.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

swflyers8
on 11/10/17 12:31 pm
RNY on 10/30/17

I am getting my protein in with the shakes. That with pudding, jello and the shakes it just feels empty and things are sloshing around. I'm not used to this at all. My brother has had the surgery and told me this is normal. I'm just having a rough go of it right this minute.

Au_Contraire
on 11/10/17 12:32 pm

Hi Suzanne! Welcome! Congratulations on having taken such a big step towards a better life!

Once you are eating purees and then soft foods, you will feel better, I think. It is very important for you, even now, to do your best to get in adequate protein, and to avoid carb-laden foods like crackers. Protein will hold your hunger down while fueling your healing, whereas crackers, breads, etc. will both leave you hungry and craving more.

Remember that these first few phases go by quickly, and are designed to help your body to heal as well as to protect your new pouch so that it will continue to be a fantastic tool for you throughout the years to come.

Feeling bereft and upset is not that uncommon a reaction to surgery in general, and with this particular surgery, people can feel a sense of loss and miss their old food/emotional eating habits. Hang in there, though. This surgery offers us a miraculous chance to reset old patterns which have harmed us. It gives us a chance at a wonderfully improved, healthier life. I hope that you will consider speaking with a bariatric therapist, someone experienced in counselling this community. We have surgery on our bodies, not our brains, and talking with someone about all of the changes we're experiencing can be very helpful.

Do your best to hang in there. Try to follow the advice of the vets here, people who lost tons and have remained slim and healthy years later. They give great tips and you know they understand just what it's like to go through this. It isn't the easiest journey, but it isn't the very hardest, either, and it leads to a bright future. It is worth it, and you are worth it.

Librarian67
on 11/10/17 12:44 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on your surgery! It is a big step but not a quick fix. Early on I ate alot of SF popsicles to have something to crunch on. They helped with the fluids and the mouth feel of chewing. Stay away from the carbs, especially crackers if you want to be successful. At your stage, focus on lots of fluids and try different types of protein shakes that may not bother your stomach as much. You can do this, but it takes commitment to a new way of eating.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

pammieanne
on 11/10/17 12:59 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Isopure makes a clear protein drink you can try right now during the liquid phase if you need something that is lactose free. They are 100% whey Isolate (I think, it's been a while) so they should fit into your plan. Also Syntrax also makes a lactose free mix, and you can buy them in a variety pack on Amazon.

I found that if I ordered my favorite soup from the local Chinese store (hot and sour was my calling) and then STRAINED IT VERY WELL so that all I had was broth, it really helped my 'head hunger' cravings. Because right now, you are having 'head hunger'. Your stomach has been cut on, your nerves are cut as well, and there's no way that it's real hunger you are feeling.

Try strained soups, popsicles, hot drinks like decaf or tea, anything you can find that helps your head hunger, and helps you to pass through this phase of healing.

Don't sabotage, and potentially hurt yourself by eating things not on plan.

As others have said, staying away from carby food like crackers, oatmeal, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, ALL of that, will help you in the long run.

And the suggestion of going to Eggface's blog and reading all of her wonderful WLS Friendly recipes is PERFECT!

And, hang in there It does get better, and it's all worth it in the end if you can get the brain to follow the huge step you've already taken.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

CC C.
on 11/10/17 12:59 pm

Welcome! This period will pass and it will get easier, but do avoid the carbs like the crackers as much as you can. I also got a little lactose intolerant with all those protein shakes toward the end of my full liquids phase, so I started taking a Lactaid chewable before any shake or dairy. It helped quite a bit and once I was back on regular food, I could easily tolerate dairy again.

Food was my "best friend" (who happened to be killing me slowly) for many years. I mourned not being able to turn to it like I had so unhealthily in the past. It has gotten so much easier with therapy and just plain not being able to eat very much post-surgery.

Good luck to you! And do post often. It gives you something to focus on other than food!

Emiepie
on 11/10/17 2:51 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome! I am sorry you are having a rough time right now. Hang in there it will get better. Right now it's important to make sure you are staying hydrated as well as getting in the protein. If you can walk too, you might feel a little better. Wishing you all the best on this journey.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

cc583
on 11/10/17 3:20 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Welcome, I can't offer any better advice than what the others have already gave you. Hang in there, I wish you the best on your journey.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

NYMom222
on 11/10/17 3:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

SF popsicles really helped and I second the Chinese soup. I would just get the chicken broth.

This is normal now... and you have to figure it out. I decided right from the beginning if I was going to do this crazy thing called WLS I was making it my job.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views