Anyone ever get the shakes?

crazyzee
on 11/14/17 7:11 am
RNY on 10/31/17

I am 2 weeks post surgery today. About 4 days ago a couple hours after my creamed cauliflower soup dinner I decided to go ahead and have 3 spoons of homemade applesauce with cinnamon. I know there was no sugar added in the making process cause I made it myself a while ago. I waited 20-40 min to see if it would have a dumping effect on me and I had no issues. But about 2-3 hours later all of a sudden I my leg started to shiver like I was cold so I turned on the heat a bit and put some sweatpants on. But with in 10 min or so my entire body was shaking like a crazy. Not little shakes either, I mean I looked like some weird Jerry Lewis sketch. I tried breathing through it but really I just had to sit and deal with it for about 20 min. Then for the next couple hours I felt crappy and dazed with a headache. I looked it up and noticed late stage dumping which I did not know about but wondered if anyone else has had this issue. I honestly did not think the fruit sugar would cause this considering the hospital had me drinking regular fruit juice after surgery I never had an issues there. Now my applesauce is back in the freezer and I am scared of it.

Amy R.
on 11/14/17 9:20 am

You're so early out - that must have been scary. "Normal" dumping mostly happens within 20 minutes of eating the offending foods (sugar/white carbs). Since you didn't have any symptoms until two or three hours later, you may be looking at something called "reactive hypoglycemia". Some people call it "late dumping". It is also a reaction to sugar. But it's a bit different in that comes on later and the symptoms are different.

With dumping you'll be curled up on the floor, afraid you might die because your heart is pounding, it might beat irregularly, you'll be sweating and to top all that off you may have some pretty bad intestinal pain.

When you're in the middle of an RH episode you'll just go on ahead and pray for death or anything that will end the misery. What happens is that your body attempts to correct the sugar or simple carbs you ate earlier. Because those carbs will cause your blood sugar to spike very quickly and will then come down just as fast. So when you are in RH your blood sugar is too low and you've got to get calories into your system as fast as possible. Oh and while you're scrambling for something to get into your mouth your body is weakening at hyper speed. It's pretty awful and it's REALLY awful if you're alone when it happens.

Others here can explain things much better so you might keep checking back. Another thing you can do is put "reactive hypoglycemia" "late dumping" "RH" or one of those up in OH's search box. I guarantee there are a million and one posts about this whole thing.

Take care - keep asking questions until you understand. Dumping isn't fatal. RH can be if you pass out before you can get your blood sugar started upward. Most dumping and RH reactions are a direct cause of eating junk food and sugars so those of us who deal with this can usually control it by just not eating that stuff.

crazyzee
on 11/14/17 10:50 am
RNY on 10/31/17

Thanks for the reply, and good info. I'm really going forward with the zero pasta,rice,potato,sugar plan. I am going to go do some research on RH now. Thanks again

supershopper
on 11/14/17 12:12 pm

sounds like RH to me. I don't dump but do have RH if I eat stuff with sugar in it- natural or not...

I would leave off anything with carbs/sugar right now.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

ScottAndrews
on 11/14/17 12:30 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Definitely sounds like RH to me albeit a bit later than what I'm used to. Sugar on an empty pouch with no fats/protein mixed in is bad. 10 grams of sugar was my max according to the surgical nutritionist but honestly even that can be too much depending on conditions. Sometimes it's not even sugar it's just carby things that sets it off.

Emiepie
on 11/14/17 3:18 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Early out, before I knew better I tried a few bites of mashed potatoes (on the "approved" list for purees on my plan) and luckily it was just a few bites because it made me so light-headed and shaky. I spoke to the nutritionist at the dr office and she suggested mashed sweet potato instead and I didn't have the same issue. I have had more severe RH issues when not making the best choices (**ahem too many cheez-its or chips**).

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

crazyzee
on 11/14/17 4:44 pm
RNY on 10/31/17

So you were able to handle sweet potatoes? While I was on the optifast program I spoke with the program runner at my local VA and said I was looking forward to being able to eat mashed sweet potatoes for thanksgiving and she said that would be a no-no cause of the carbs. Honestly I have a hard time understanding her advice. As in, is it to prevent illness like dumping syndrome or is it just the whole carbs or unhealthy thing. Cause it seems like she almost wants Zero fat,carbs,sugar, sodium, ect... I know they can be bad but I am not trying to live off of vitamins and protein shakes for the rest of my life. I know this is a hard thing to do and I am working my butt off to reach my goals and stay on the plan, I just wish she was clearer with her advice.

Emiepie
on 11/14/17 6:32 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

For me, I didn't have issues when I tried the mashed sweet potatoes. At that point it was only a few bites but I felt nothing like I did when I ate the other. Aside from a few fries here and there I haven't ate a white potato since then.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/15/17 7:24 am

A lot of time the Thanksgiving potatoes are made with brown sugar, or honey, or any other sweeteners. I know I used to make them like that, and my friends do - brown sugar.

A little bit of plan mashed sweet potatoes with meat - probably would be ok. But who makes just plain mashed sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Emiepie
on 11/15/17 8:47 am
RNY on 08/11/14

This girl does now

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404