I am a post Rny Thanksgiving veteran.

seattledeb
on 11/22/17 11:28 pm

And here's my experience.

It's A meal. It helps to think that way.

It's a gathering of people who love each other(hopefully) and sharing a specific meal. We all make this meal once a year and then for most of it's gone.

It's a chance to score meat leftovers but be careful with turkey. It's dry and it will stick.

If you newly post surgery don't make it about you and how little you eat. Really NO ONE wants to hear that when there is pie. Try and blend. I bring a large iced coffee to all family dinners and drink on that most of the time. No one notices what I do or don't eat.

You may be tempted by those giant yummy rolls. If I eat it first I will not be able to eat anything and I'll be in pain. YMMV.

Have fun.

Queen JB
on 11/23/17 3:49 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Great advice, Deb. I remember that my first Thanksgiving, I was all prepared with stories to explain why I wasn't eating and literally no one noticed. Everyone's eyes are on their own plates, haha.

I also suggest doing a lot of planning ahead of time. If you know what foods to expect at the meal, you can play around with serving sizes and variations on My Fitness Pal ahead of the day to determine how to make it fit your macros.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

seattledeb
on 11/23/17 6:31 pm

For me turkey didn't work the first couple of years. I ate deviled eggs.

Laura in Texas
on 11/23/17 5:27 am

If you newly post surgery don't make it about you and how little you eat. Really NO ONE wants to hear that when there is pie. Try and blend.

All is great advice, especially this part!!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

seattledeb
on 11/23/17 6:32 pm

You too and the girls as well.

Teena D.
on 11/23/17 5:53 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Thank you! It's my first American Thanksgiving and first as a post-op. We had our Thanksgiving in October though so it was a practice run for today.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

The Salty Hag
on 11/23/17 6:07 am, edited 11/22/17 10:07 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

This is a great post, Deb.

My first T-Day, I was 6 months out, and was stressing out SO MUCH about what I would eat, what I wouldn?t eat, what would my neighbors think of my serving amounts even though they were aware of my surgery, would I offend them by not eating mashed potatoes, SHOULD I eat mashed potatoes, can I just please have a tiny bit of real pie? ( Turns out no, no I can not have a tiny bit of real pie-not without wicked dumping. ) I worked myself into a tizzy over it.

I just keep it simple now. Turkey, with a side of turkey.

Edited for clarity

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

karenp8
on 11/23/17 6:54 am - Brighton, IL

Deb's advice is great. I'd also add that to give me something to do besides gorge myself,when I finish I become the gopher. I refill drinks,clear plates,straighten up the kitchen and serve desserts. I always wash dishes and put food away now too. It's still fun--just in a different way.

seattledeb
on 11/23/17 6:34 pm

God bless the cleaners.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/17 7:06 am, edited 11/22/17 11:14 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

We are going to my friend's house. I love ham she makes. Since we are coming, she made 2 hams. I will be there for at least 3 hours. I will eat ham. Then rest, and eat some more ham. Then rest some more and eat ham. And take some of the second ham home. Lol.

I will try a bite of some sides she makes, maybe some green beans, or broccoli-cauliflower casserole.

FYI: she told me how she makes the ham- and I tried to make it like she does - it is not he same. It's lacking the love she puts in it. And joy, and pride.

Edited to add:

There is another reason why I don't bother eating too many carbs during Thanksgiving: post RNY sensitivities to carbs. When I eat too many carbs I either dump or get severe carb coma, that can be followed by low BS- RH. Either one of these are not good when I try to spend quality time with my family or friends.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 494 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 347 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views
Recent Topics