Constantly Vomiting after RNY

dragonk09
on 11/24/17 7:37 pm
RNY on 10/03/17

Hi there,

I had rny surgery on October 3rd (so just about 6 weeks ago) and Ive been throwing up ever since I switched to the soft/solid food stage about 2 weeks ago. It's really disheartening,, I take small bites and I chew the crap out of the food but it's the same thing every time. It starts with burping then everything comes up. I also eat very slowly. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to eat at all. I just saw my surgeon today and he doesn't seem too concerned and thinks it's just an adjustment phase. I feel so weak and lethargic and am lucky if I'm eating 100 calories a day. It doesn't seem right to me. I'm worried that I'm going to waste away and never be able to eat again. Has anyone else had issues with switching from full fluids to soft /solid foods?

Ps. I don't have a problem at all with fluids. Can drink over 2 litres daily quite easily.

Shawn

White Dove
on 11/24/17 8:07 pm - Warren, OH

I sometimes went for many months, even years out just drinking protein drinks, for convenience. I ate tiny amounts of food for the first eighteen months or so.

I did not waste away and am certainly able to eat again.

If food makes you vomit, don't eat it. As long as you are getting in your fluids you don't have to worry about dehydrating. You will burn body fat to make up for what you don't eat.

The truth of this surgery is that we lose weight because we eat so little. You will get through this and your body will heal.

Someday you will look back longingly on the time when you needed so little food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ChristyO
on 11/24/17 8:26 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

I know some patients had trouble with that it should pass but I personally would not eat anything that I had to chew if I was having your problem. You should stop. I would go back to cream of wheat and milk. Your body is telling you your doing wrong. It needs more time to heal. You could technically get by along time on just drinking your calories if you needed too. Go back to protein shakes

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Lina_Ann
on 11/25/17 1:04 am

Try not to push yourself. Constantly throwing up can put stress on your stomach. I know a lot of people on this website who were only doing liquids for 3-4 months. 6 weeks really ain't that long. If you can't get calories from food, try your hardest to get calories from liquid. I hope things get easier

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

NYMom222
on 11/25/17 5:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Well if you have no problems with fluids, then drink up on the protein drinks. All fluids count to your total, just doesn't have to be water. Premier has a very thin viscosity so that often works for people in the beginning.

Second, are you taking a PPI like Prilosec/omeprezole? I know I have had vomiting problems when my acid was bad.

Good luvk. Hopefully this will just be a memory soon.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 11/25/17 5:49 am, edited 11/24/17 9:50 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

you're in the right time range for a stricture, so I would consider that as well. If you back off on solid foods and are still having the problem, I would call my surgeon's office. I had two of them - one at four weeks out and the other at eight weeks out (they usually occur during the first three months after surgery). They'll scope you and stretch it out if that's what it is. It's quick and painless and they put you under while they're doing it, so it's a very easy fix.

if you get to the point where you can't get fluids down, either, then go to the ER. You can survive a few days without food, but you can't survive very long without fluids. Strictures will eventually get to that point if you let them go for too long.

Granted, it definitely could be that your body just isn't ready for solid food yet, so backing off for a few days should solve the problem in that case. But if it keeps going, I would call the surgeon's office as you may be dealing with a stricture.

EDITED: oh wait - you said you already talked to your surgeon. Hmmm. Well, I would call again if you're still having the problem after backing off solid food for a few days.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Gwen M.
on 11/25/17 2:31 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend that you go back to the diet phase you were in before as it seems your body is not ready for solids yet.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sweetpotato1959
on 11/25/17 2:33 pm

Shawn ,

This too shall pass! Everyone seems to go thru some intolerance issues. I have read the other comments and agree... #1 If tolerating liquids, I would center on high protein liquids and give edema time to subside.... If no change between 2-3 weeks, or intolerance increases to include liquids... then i would have surgeon to re-assess for stricture.... #2 avoid fats of every kind.. and. avoid anything you have tried that makes you nauseated on smell. Hidden fats were my greatest agony...and still are to a large degree.

I had a similar surgery, eons ago...had the intolerance of all but a bite or two, because of my pouch limitations..45cc,... My actual calorie count was 200 calories with protein supplement for 4 weeks and i got very weak. i was getting protein prescribed and fluids, but not enough carbs to utilize the protein properly. The solution for me was to increase what i did tolerate...i used instant potatoes with protein powder and hot sugar free cocoa with protein powder for about 3 weeks until i got strength up and the edema in my stomach/pouch went down more. I made potatoes a little "thin" so they were less dry..

Moist foods slide thru swollen openings easier... find 2 or three items you are able to tolerate in bites... potatoes, rice, moist cereal? add very slowly...use some protein powder for bulk of nutrition.

I added meats ONE tablespoon at a time... but ate with an ice cream tasting spoon(level) and chewed each bite 10 times... no fluids with food and separated by 30 min each side, was the rules of my surgeon. My pouch is at about 6-7 ounces now, unless I go thru gastritis. ..it is then i go back to high protein cold liquids, until my appetite and edema is down.

NHPOD9
on 11/26/17 10:16 am

This was my experience for the first four months. I did eventually develop a stricture, but my pouch has always been sensitive. It has nothing to do with fats/sugar/speed...sometimes food just does not sit. I vomit and move on.

With that said, a valuable piece of advice I was given was to wait 24 hours after vomiting before introducing food again. Stick to all liquids. That will give your throat and stomach time to heal from the inflammation the vomiting produced.

It eventually gets better.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

minaque2
on 11/27/17 8:05 am

I had a hard time switching from soft to solid food. Can you just stick to protein drinks, yogurt, cottage cheese and soft eggs? It may just take a little longer to incorporate solids.. good luck to you

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 497 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 354 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 437 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?