Have to make a decision about RNY right NOW, panicking!

MarinaGirl
on 12/6/17 8:36 am

I have Hashimoto's and have been on levothyroxine for years. Even with the proper dose of medicine I was not able to lose and MAINTAIN significant weight loss. I am 8 months post-GB and at goal. My endocrinologist is VERY happy with my current weight and has adjusted my meds accordingly as I've dropped the pounds. I feel better than I have in a long long time.

ScottAndrews
on 12/6/17 9:53 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I had my thyroid issue in my early 30's and have been on 175-200 mcg levothyroxin forever now. My thirties did not go well weight-wise. If you really want to get down to 140-150 (which you can be at in time for next summer with surgery) and stay there, I recommend surgery.

dsherrera
on 12/6/17 10:01 am

Don't do it if you are feeling like you're forced to make a decision quickly. RNY is not a fix all surgery with no complications. I had second thoughts the 2 days before and wish I had listened to that nagging doubt. it's not a fix all you still have to diet. if you are one of the ones that have complications it sucks. Get a second opinion and don't rush into it.

babsinga
on 12/6/17 10:14 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

As others have said, the surgery will help you for a while, but you can gain all your weight back with any weight loss surgery. The decision to have the surgery depends a lot on how long you have been obese, what caused the obesity and what you are willing to do to keep it off since it is just a tool not a cure.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/17 12:16 pm

If you're not sure, don't do it. Even though RNY has the highest possibility of success, nothing works unless you are committed. If you watch this site over time, you'll see many people trying to cheat the system. Most don't. We succeed.

Personally I wouldn't trade it for the world (best thing I ever did)! 13 months in I'm 5'11" and I went from 287 to 163. I am so much better off. No more sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and my chronic joint pain is all gone! It has been a miracle for me!

If you get 100% committed, you'll love it. If not you'll focus on the process and the few thing you have to give up. I'll focus on the success and the health. Can you?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/6/17 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes, you've been able to lose weight now. But will you be able to keep it off on your own, for the rest of your life?

For most of us-- and most patients out there-- the answer is no. Surgery patients, on the other hand, have a much better track record of keeping weight off. (One piece of research to suggest that is linked here.)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lucile777
on 12/11/17 7:26 pm

I am 6 weeks post op. The first 3 weeks were brutal. But I feel much better now. Started opti at 285. Surgery day: 270. Today : 242. If before you took your medication your weight had kept increasing each year then chances are that trend will continue. You should do it if your approval is in jeapordy. Good luck with your decision.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 517 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics