Post op diet progression

Kathy8429
on 12/10/17 10:21 am

hi everyone I've noticed that I have lots of spit and frothing with any food I try to eat. Sometimes even drinking and for sure when I take pills. I am on puréed stage but pretty much all food does this. I've tried tiny bites and going slow. Any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks. Kathy

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/10/17 11:17 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You need to provide more information in order to help you.

I am confused as you are asking about post-op diet progression -- yet your signature says you've met goal? Can you give some more information? --- As foamies in the weeks after post-op aren't so unusual, but far out even with liquids definitely are.

I had a problem with foamies for a short time post-RNY (2 to 4 months) -- but it was almost always related to my eating too quickly or not chewing well enough --- dense foods.

If you are getting the foamies after drinking and with medication, I would definitely let your surgeon/doctor know. That doesn't seem right to me at all. You may want to look into the possibility of a stricture? -- but again, a lot depends on where you are at in surgery/post-op.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kathy8429
on 12/10/17 11:21 am

Sorry. I had a revision due to GERD on nov 22. I need to change my signature

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/10/17 11:34 am
RNY on 12/31/13

No problem -- now it makes sense. :-)

It's not so unusual to get the foamies even with fluids for the first few weeks after surgery --- and you are about 2 to 3 weeks out. This is largely because there can be a lot of swelling that takes a while to subside -- and some of us are simply more sensitive than others for a bit. Since you suffer GERD, it would make sense that you may have more sensitivity than average.

For me, foamies were almost always caused by rushing diet progression, eating too fast, or taking too big a bite. Foamies are usually caused by food being trapped in the esophagus before the entrance of the pouch -- it's very uncomfortable and unpleasant. In my experience, the only relief was either time or bringing it back up.

Of course, if you are eating solid foods, you obviously know to wait at least 30 minutes afterwards before trying to drink. Do not gulp your liquids -- and some find that lukewarm or hot liquids are much easier on the pouch than cold. I also found that straws were far better than drinking from a cup.

If pills are bothering you, see if you can use liquid or chewable forms for most things for a while -- or if you can crush the pill and add it to something.

If you find that certain foods have led to this -- you may be progressing too quickly despite being "allowed" -- and it never hurts to step back a stage to give your body more time to adjust and to give your pouch a rest.

However, if this continues or gets worse, I wouldn't hesitate to contact your surgeon. Strictures are very common and easily treated. Additionally, I think the three-week mark is a common time for them to peak.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kathy8429
on 12/10/17 11:36 am

thank you!

dorothy1110
on 12/10/17 8:06 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I regurgitate some foods. It just happens .

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics