Bad Breath

GerryF2003
on 12/14/17 12:18 pm
RNY on 12/11/17

I'm only on my 3rd day Post-op, but I am having the worst breath! No amount of brushing or mouthwash is helping. Does anyone know if any breath mints are allowed at this stage? It's really awful!

HW 300+, SW 265, CW 202

I do not apologize for my existence no matter how uncomfortable it might make you.

peachpie
on 12/14/17 12:36 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

You are probably in ketosis. I had horrid breath during pre-op diet through the 3rd post op week. Your body is doing what it's supposed to.

I used sugar free gum.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

ScottAndrews
on 12/14/17 1:04 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I used a spray. I also had cotton-mouth for a good month to go with killer breath.

Shannon S.
on 12/14/17 2:52 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Yes, we're suppose to stick to sugar free though. I chew sugar free gum sometimes.

wendygail
on 12/15/17 5:45 am - Live Oak, FL
I had some major stank @$$ breath for three-four weeks post op. I kept a small bottle of mouthwash and a travel size toothbrush & toothpaste with me. As well as Breath Savers. Just be careful with the sugar free mints. They can cause some serious gas. Well, at least they did/do for me.
 It's a great day to be alive.        
cabin111
on 12/15/17 9:06 am

I just pulled the below from the internet. I post it every once in awhile. Your breath smells like acetone...Because that is what it is...Lighter fluid/nail polish remover.

Thought I would copy and paste something from the internet. Many people go through ketosis and have no idea ("they gave us some much information...I can't remember it all"). As you drop weight quickly, you will see some of these signs. Ketosis is normal...but listen to your body and call your doctor if you're not sure. Brian PS Don't get the signs of ketosis confused with the signs of dehydration...

Ketosis Symptoms

Ketosis can be understood as a state of metabolism, which is characterized by an increase in the level of ketone bodies (water soluble compounds). This state occurs when the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies, which can be used by the body for energy, as an alternative to glucose. While glucose is the preferred energy cell for all cells of the body, ketosis is seen as a crisis reaction of the body, to a carbohydrate deficiency in the diet of a person. Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis, a medical condition that can turn life-threatening as well. Unlike the former, it is caused by diabetes and accompanied by dehydration, hyperglycemia, ketonuria and increased levels of glucagon. Causes & Diagnosis Dieting is one of the main causes that can lead to ketosis. Weight losers often complain of accompanying ketosis symptoms. However, this type of ketosis is not considered harmful for the body. Switching over to a low-carb diet, which doesn't contribute to blood glucose substantially, leads the body to undergo a set of stages to enter ketosis. In the initial stages i.e. the first two days, the adult brain doesn't burn ketone. It's only after 48 hours that the body starts burning ketones, so that it can directly utilize the energy from the fat stores that the body is depending upon, reserving glucose only for its absolute needs. The level of ketones in the body can be diagnosed with a urine test. However, in some cases, the urine test never indicates excess ketones. The reason could be that consumption of excess water, which dilutes urine or exercise, which uses up excess ketones. Symptoms Of Ketosis The symptoms of ketosis, generally, last for several days, extending to a week in some cases, until the body becomes used to burning fats instead of glucose. The ketone level in the body may go down, but it is not to be seen as an indicator of not losing weight. The feeling of ketosis is temporary and passes away in a week among dieters. Given below are the common signs and symptoms that are associated with ketosis.

• Tiredness or fatigue
  • Headache
  • Feeling thirsty all the time
  • Bad breath
  • Metallic taste in the mouth
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or stomach aches
  • Strong smelling urine
GerryF2003
on 12/15/17 11:16 am
RNY on 12/11/17