Long Term Bariatric Diet Plan (repost)

maraboricua72
on 1/5/18 8:14 am

I found this article and thought it was a good read. Hope you enjoy it....

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2tNCcP

Post Op Bariatric Diet Plan

Many articles are written endorsing a post op bariatric diet in the weeks and months following weight loss surgery. Healthcare providers recommend a post op bariatric diet plan as well. However, much less attention is given to a long term bariatric diet plan despite the obvious need. Read: Bariatric Nutrition 12-Months Post-Op and Beyond

You will be required, like I was, to make permanent lifestyle changes if you want to be successful. Bariatric surgery does not magically plant knowledge for eating healthy nor wipe away cravings and urges.

When our appetites return, usually 6-mos to 1-year post op, we are often left to manage on our own. Read: Build Bariatric Support Network I taught myself to understand as best I could what it means to eat healthy and tried to correct nearly four decades of undisciplined behavior. At 5-years post op I had regained about 30-pounds despite my best effort. Read: My Gastric Bypass Revision Story

Nutritionist's Ideal Bariatric Diet Plan

A plan is needed for getting the proper amount of nutrients, and adding a dietician to your bariatric support network will prove worthwhile. By the time of my weight regain, my bariatric surgeon had hired a nutritionist who specialized in weight-loss surgery patients. Working with her was very eye-opening, and she recommended the following for me:

900-1200 calories

100-130 g protein

60-80 g carb (net carbs- after subtract fiber)

20-30 g fat

The bariatric nutritionist advised me to balance my protein to carb ratio 2:1 at every meal. She said I would be like a hamster on a wheel, spinning and getting nowhere, if I did not do this. I could virtually starve myself and exercise and still not lose weight.

I followed her nutritional recommendations whi*****luded supplements and exercise. I have since lost the weight I regained and have kept it off. That was many years ago. Today I follow a Paleo Diet, which would omit dairy from the bariatric meal plan that you are about to read.

My Bariatric Meal Plan

Here is an example of my bariatric meal plan:

Breakfast: 1/2c low-fat organic cottage cheese with 5 walnut halves and 1/4c fresh organic raspberries

Metabolic snack: 1 decaf cappuccino with low-fat organic milk and stevia, plus a 16oz protein drink

Lunch: 3oz organic chicken breast over 2c shredded romaine topped with 1/4tbs sesame seeds, 2tbs Italian dressing, 1oz white onion, 1/4 c edamame, and 1 hard-boiled egg

Dinner: 4oz organic chicken breast topped with 1tbs salsa and lemon wedge, 1 fresh broccoli spear and 1/2c fresh carrots with 1 pat butter and 1/4tbs sesame seeds

Metabolic snack: 1/2c fresh organic raspberries topped with 1/4c organic low-fat cottage cheese and 1/6th scoop whey protein, plus 1 decaf espresso with 1/6th scoop whey protein and stevia

This provides 1,064 calories, 36.5g fat, 61.2g carbs, and 127.5g protein.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or health care provider. Read: Eating After Bariatric Surgery

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Female, 5ft 1in. Highest weight: 215. RNY - 11.22.2007 at 211 lbs. Lowest weight: 111. Weight as of October 28, 2019: 149. Current weight: 145. Goal weight is 118 lbs.

Au_Contraire
on 1/5/18 9:25 am

Thanks for posting this. I think it will be helpful for me in the future.

cowangel
on 1/5/18 12:24 pm - Grovetown, GA

Very good advice I am 12 years out well 11 and a half years out I weighed 347 lb at time of surgery and my lowest weight was 152 pounds I am now a hundred and 89th lb I seem to volley right around 25 lb back and forth I am 5 foot 8 inches tall so I have gone back to basics the protein shakes and low carb style eating just as you stated low-carb not paleo at all I am a spinal cord injury patient and take quite a bit of medication and my belly just can't handle that I have some thyroid issues as well and just don't find that to be appealing or satisfying but to each his own but I do fine and Atkins Mediterranean type diet to be very healthy and appetizing and easy-to-follow same idea

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/5/18 1:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This seems like a pretty good plan to me.

I'm slightly irked by the author's suggestion to go organic with everything. Organic foods are neither more nutritious nor better for the environment, and they are not, as many folks think, pesticide-free. From a scientific POV, there's not really any good reason for it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

The Salty Hag
on 1/6/18 7:59 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It's an okay plan, but not everyone needs low fat products nor can they go into maintenance eating at 12 months. I didn't hit my goal weight until 19 months out.

To me, there isn't enough fat and too many carbs.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Erin T.
on 1/6/18 10:39 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Agree. My maintenance plan is 20% or fewer calories coming from carbs and 55% from fat.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?