3-week update and some questions

Lo82
on 1/9/18 2:09 pm
RNY on 12/19/17

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well! Just thought I would post a 3-week update.

RNY: Tues, Dec 19, 2017

Height: 5'5

HW: 287

SW: 266.5

CW: 245.5

Total lost since surgery: 21 lbs

I feel a bit torn as I've been doing pretty well in terms of foregoing carbs and sugars. I know I'm not getting enough protein or liquids in - but I'm pretty close. If I have 1 extra bottle of water a day and 1 protein shake a day, I'll be golden.

I feel like losing 21 lbs in the first 3 weeks is good. I really wanted to lose 30 lbs in the first month, but I'm not sure that I'm going to get there. I'm hoping for 25 at this point. I've been eating a lot of cheese, ricotta bake, tilapia, salmon and eggs. I do crave sweets when I see others eating them, but otherwise, I don't have any cravings and I'm never hungry.

I've been following the NUT's advice for the most part. Because of advice on here, I have stayed away from the english muffins, crackers and bananas that I initially purchased (on my NUT's list), but that are carb/sugary and unnecessary for my nutrition right now. Where I haven't followed advice is that I've moved forward a little early (about a week according to my plan) on things like pepperoni, chicken and shrimp. They all were fine in my belly and I ate really slowly and chewed forever. The chicken and pepperoni were eaten based on what was available and where I was at the moment (a reception and a dinner at someone's house). The shrimp was at a restaurant where they didn't really have anything else I could eat, so I had shrimp ****tail as my dinner. I think I'll continue with the shrimp and have some tonight as my dinner. Everything else, I'll wait again until I have official "ok".

I walked a lot yesterday because it finally warmed up a bit. It's a frozen tundra here in Boston (with slushy, snowy streets and sidewalks), so I might have to take special trips to where I can walk inside.

I'm tracking what I'm eating, but not necessarily how much (weight, etc). I bought a food scale pre-op, but haven't opened it yet. I think more careful tracking will help me make sure that I'm following the advice of others who have had success (70+g protein,

RNY: 12/19/2017. Height: 5'5. Highest weight: 287. Weight at beginning of process: 276.4. Weight at start of pre-op diet: 270. Surgery weight: 266.5. Current weight (5/20/2019): 182

Lo82
on 1/9/18 2:12 pm
RNY on 12/19/17

Sorry guys. For some reason, the bottom of my post is getting cut off. I tried to repost correctly, but it just posted twice (with the same error) and I don't know how to delete it.

The rest of my post above is:

I'm tracking what I'm eating, but not necessarily how much (weight, etc). I bought a food scale pre-op, but haven't opened it yet. I think more careful tracking will help me make sure that I'm following the advice of others who have had success (70+g protein,

RNY: 12/19/2017. Height: 5'5. Highest weight: 287. Weight at beginning of process: 276.4. Weight at start of pre-op diet: 270. Surgery weight: 266.5. Current weight (5/20/2019): 182

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/9/18 7:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you use a "greater than" or "less than" sign, OH chokes and cuts off your post.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lo82
on 1/9/18 2:17 pm
RNY on 12/19/17

Wow. Not sure why it keeps getting cut off. Trying one more time and then letting it go.

I'm tracking what I'm eating, but not necessarily how much (weight, etc). I bought a food scale pre-op, but haven't opened it yet. I think more careful tracking will help me make sure that I'm following the advice of others who have had success (70+g protein, under 25g carbs, 600-800 cals, etc).

I do have a question about vitamins if anyone can help... I am currently taking Bariatric Fusion multivitamins, vitamin D, Biotin and B12. Does anyone know if it matters when I take these (e.g. don't take the B12 within x hours of the multivitamin)? Also, is it bad to drink water right after the vitamins? I know we don't drink water right after eating because we don't want to wash everything away through our pouches without absorbing nutrients. Is it in the same with vitamins?

Oooo - another question for those who have made it this far - how long until your incisions healed? And what did they look like at 3 weeks (if you can remember)? I really don't think mine are infected, but I don't like the look of them all the same.

Thanks, guys!

obxhatteraslight
on 1/9/18 2:47 pm - baldwinsville, NY

U should ask your nut about the vitamins. I found notes on my old bariatric paperwork that said to take some in the am and some with lunch. Your doing good. Keep up the good work

Lo82
on 1/9/18 3:52 pm
RNY on 12/19/17

Thank you!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/9/18 6:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

My guess is you tried to use a symbol like the greater than or less than sign, and that's what leads to posts getting cut off. Do you remember exactly what you used? OH software is wonky for a few things.

For vitamins, drinking is fine. Some say to split your 2 multivitamins up into 2 doses, but there is no evidence it makes a difference.

Vitamins that should be kept separate: calcium citrate needs to be in 500mg doses, 3 times a day, 2 hours apart. Iron needs to be taken with vitamin C, and 2 hours apart from calcium, dairy, tea, coffee, soy, and some less common things. B12, D3 and any other things can be taken together with your multis.

Weighing and logging portions is one of the best habits I picked up after surgery.

We're in Boston too. It was short-sleeve weather today!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lo82
on 1/9/18 7:01 pm
RNY on 12/19/17

Hello!

Yes, that was exactly it. I tried to use the "less than" symbol and it took me a while to figure out that that was the problem. Oy. Oh well, now I know.

Thanks for the info on vitamins. I take 4 chewable multi-vitamins - 2 at a time. My doctor said that with the brand of multivitamin I take, I don't need extra calcium citrate, C or iron. I'm going to ask again at my 4-week check-in next Monday just to make sure. I'm guessing when I get labs done again, that will help with knowing if I'm taking everything I actually need. If I need to take more things, this is a helpful guide.

Today was definitely much warmer! I was able to downgrade to my "regular" scarf versus the huge one that practically covers my whole head! I'm all for the 30s! And it's supposed to be in the 50s Thurs-Sat!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/10/18 5:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You will absoutely need calcium citrate and iron. I haven't met an RNYer yet that didn't. It might take a couple of years to deplete your stores, but you'll end up in trouble if you don't get ahead of it.

No multi has the 1500 mg of calcium citrate we need. And if it did, we can only absorb a small amount at a time, which is why we need no more than 500 mg at a time, 2 hours apart. And, most calcium in multis is calcium carbonate, which we don't absorb.

You also will need the iron. Iron deficiency down the line is super common. It's much better to add iron now than to wait until you are in trouble. Low ferritin is no joke. And the vitamin C is not because we need vitamin C, but because it helps our bodies absorb the iron.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lo82
on 1/10/18 7:42 am
RNY on 12/19/17

This is super helpful. Thanks! I have my 4-week appt with my surgeon on Monday. I'll ask him about the iron and calcium citrate. Totally willing to buy and take more vitamins if it will help me down the line.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 191 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics