Fallen off the band wagon... angry at myself, need help getting back on track

ShannonMichelle
on 1/18/18 2:54 pm - Canada

Not going to make any excuses as to why I've fallen off the band wagon because honestly it's my fault and I accept that. I had my surgery 3 years ago and for the first 2 years I was strict and doing great reached under 200 lbs for the first time in years and I was so excited cried happy tears. I managed to keep myself at my goal which was around 170 and then I lost my shift at work. I know I can do this. I know I'm not the only one who has fallen off the band wagon and I'm here asking for peoples advice because today I finally stepped back on the scale and I'm so angry at myself for now being over 200 lbs ?? I can actually feel the fat growing back ?

I work night shift and I have horrible sleeping habits. I no longer have the routine my old shift provided me with and I feel like since I don't like my shift and I really don't sleep well I've devolped a I don't care what I eat attitude and I NEED to stop! I can't turn back the time but I can change going forward! I've done this before I can do it again.

Anyone have issues staying on track while having their routine changed? Anyone else work night shift and have figured out a proper eating schedule? Suggestions for easy meals? Crockpot meals? How to deal with living with someone whose eating habits aren't great? Please I'm open to any suggestions to get me out of this funk!

selhard
on 1/18/18 5:32 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Routine change proved to be a bugger for me, too (moved out of my city home of almost 30 years to a country farmhouse). I had the opportunity to take drastic action re getting off track. With my husband's support, I am temporarily living alone. It's been less than a month but already notice differences. I am eating better, less tempted to stray, concentrating more on myself, sleeping better, and feeling positive this was the right thing to do. I am not suggesting to anyone "living alone" is the solution, simply sharing my own effort.

White Dove
on 1/19/18 7:46 am - Warren, OH

I am widowed, but still alone by choice because I will not remarry, let another man move in, or move in with someone else. I find life so much easier living alone and only being responsible for my own choices.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 1/18/18 8:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I worked night shift years ago, that is a rough one. One word you said that is important is routine. You need to find your routine and rhythm. When will your eating day officially start and stop? How will you shift to days off?

Obviously need to bring healthy snacks. Protein drinks what ever it takes.

Keep it simple, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs.... buy pre-cooked shrimp and do shrimp and ****tail sauce, greek yogurt. This week I prepped 5 days of salad so I am eating them everyday for lunch with protein.

I am learning this right now, living with someone whose eating habits aren't great...I never had that before. I still need to take care of me. If our meals intersect fine, Otherwise I'm cooking something different and they can have mac and cheese or pasta and sauce or whatever. I will make it, but I'm done trying to make it all work. I also buy them snacks that don't tempt me. I choose.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 1/19/18 7:57 am - Warren, OH

When I worked midnight I carried lunch and ate it at 3:00 AM. I had a light breakfast at 7:00 AM, went home at 8:00 AM and immediately went to bed and to sleep. No TV, no snacks, no socializing. Just went to the bedroom, put my PJ's on, closed the blinds and went to sleep. I got up at 4:30, and had dinner with my family. It was my routine and I stuck with it.

The first week, I had trouble getting to sleep and one of the ladies I worked with told me to take on over the counter sleeping pill. I only had to do that two times and then my body started going to sleep on its own.

You have to have a routine and stick to it. Losing sleep will make it impossible to stay on track. Regular sleep is as important as what you eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

DonRobbie
on 1/19/18 6:21 pm
DS on 12/18/18

I've found tha****ching out how late in the "day" I take Caffeine helps with sleep. I have to be caffeine free for at least 4 hours before sleep will happen. Managing light helps too. I try to keep screen time when I get home to a minimum. Our bedroom has the windows covered with thick black plastic under heavy dark curtains. When the lights are off it's dark.

I'm pre-WLS with uncontrolled weight so I don't have anything useful to offer on food.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/20/18 6:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A couple of things help me a lot. Weigh your food track every bite in something like MyFitnessPal. Record every calorie.

Eat by the clock. Set up an eating schedule that works for your lifestyle. Then do not eat anything outside of that schedule.

Eating is not an emergency. We can always wait for the next scheduled time. I know how hard it is, believe me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/22/18 4:27 am, edited 1/22/18 3:09 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I also work the night shift from 3:30 pm - Midnight. However, in March or April I plan to go back to the first shift 6:45 am - 3:30 pm. Fortunately, we have an option to do that every 90 days. Maybe you can ask to go back to the day shift.

I am doing this so I can have a better hold of my schedule with eating right and exercise and sleeping when we are supposed because we were created that way to be up during the day and to sleep at night. Best wishes to you lady!

Do you know what Circadian Rhythms are? I was told about Circadian Rhythms by the Sleep Apnea nurse that issued me my CPAP machine before my RNY. I asked him do you think I should go back to the dayshift? Would that help me sleep better? He then told me about Circadian rhythms are physical, mental, and behavioral changes that follow a daily cycle. Read more about this at https://www.nigms.nih.gov/ read the 6th paragraph titled Do circadian rhythms affect body function and health?

Again best wishes to you dear.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

cat59
on 1/22/18 2:56 pm - Reydon, OK

My husband was very supportive and told me that I wasn't going to be a short order cook. He and the kids ate what I could eat. They still do, and when we go out to eat, they let me choose the restaurant. I never had to live alone. I do now because I got a major job promotion that required a longer commute than feasible (2 hour), so during the week I'm alone, and on the weekends, I'm back at home.

That said, I put on weight myself living in a nutritious food waste land in far western Oklahoma for 3 years. I have been working since April 2017, and I have dropped 40 pounds. I would like to get 20 off for good measure. Don't beat yourself up. Accept that you got off track, and get back on. Every day is an opportunity for a new start.

Read the blog The World According to Eggface. Shelley is one of us, and she happens to be a gourmet cook. Everything she fixes is delicious and surgeon approved. She had surgery shortly before me, and she is my support system when I need it. She has maintained her weight loss, and she is full of ideas about food. I have learned to remake family favorites in a way that is healthy for me.

Routine can throw you, but don't let the loss of it rule you. Figure out a new routine. Journal. Sounds silly, but it works. There are apps to help you track your intake and weight changes, etc. It figures calories too. Just whatever you do, don't self sabotage which it sounds like you're doing. You are worth it, and you can do this.

cat59
on 1/22/18 2:57 pm - Reydon, OK

There is also a blog about weightloss with the instant pot. I have one and love it. Pinterest is full of good recipes for us too.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 365 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404