Hello RNYerâ??s. Value your answers please

Karen63
on 1/31/18 1:22 pm, edited 2/5/18 10:09 am

Hi. You may have seen my post on the sleeve thread. I haven?t had surgery due to hospitalization a few years ago.

Im looking again at surgery options. I?m considering either the RNY or the Sleeve. Those of you that had the RNY.....What do you wish you had known prior to surgery?

What would you do different knowing what tou know now?

Do you regret having the surgery?

Can you eat small amounts of sugar or sweets?

Whats the worst thing & most positive out of your experience?

Thank You Kindly

pammieanne
on 1/31/18 2:00 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

What I wish I would have known....

• My brain is still there... in full force... always being that SMO girl that wants food
  • I wish I had known how wonderful this opportunity is, because I would have done it long ago

What would I do differently....

• I was lucky in that I found this site before my surgery... I learned A TON from the VETS here on this board. I'd kind of live life with no regrets... but do differently? NEVER would have put anything in my mouth to tempt me... temptations call to you after you have them from that brain I spoke of above.

Do I regret it?

• Oh hell no. Quite the contrary!

Can I eat small amounts of sugar or sweets?

• I can eat anything I want.
  • Should I eat them? No... they make me crave more and more and more of them... see the SMO brain yet, again...

Worst and best?

• Worst - mind games... the brain isn't changed... the brain still wants all those foods. It's hard dealing with the brain every single day
  • Best - Oh lord... I don't have the time to list to you every great thing about this opportunity!
    • Being 'normal' sized affords you so much more in everyday situations... fitting into chairs on planes/trains and automobiles... buying clothes at any store I feel like... running... walking... less pains... no more sleep apnea... so much healthier... more confidence... keeping up with my kids and family... not being afraid to do things that SMO people can't do because of their weight... and the list goes on and on...

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Karen63
on 1/31/18 2:07 pm, edited 1/31/18 6:07 am

Wow. It's been an amazing experience for you it seems. I would love to walk in a thrift store and fit into their clothes. My friend is only 128 lbs at 5?6 and she can find great bargains there. I can only find things to fit me at Catherine's & sometimes Walmart in a 5x bottom. It would be amazing to not need to pay $30-60 for a blouse from Catherines. Thanks for your input.

Im so scared I will mess things up or get sick or have problems like not being able to eat & get too thin.

How ling does your stomach hurt ?

catwoman7
on 1/31/18 3:06 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

not many of us get too thin. In fact, there are a lot more people who never make their goal than there are who get too thin. Plus you can control that. You can always increase your calories to stop the weight loss.

re: stomach hurting, I really had no pain at all other some sore abs, which only bothered me when I was transitioning (e.g., from lying down to sitting up). That was really just the first few days, though. I never took anything for pain after I got home from the hospital. I really had no pain.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Karen63
on 1/31/18 4:48 pm

Thank You. I guess it all depends on each persons metabolism and how they use their new tool. Im glad you didn't experience much pain.

catwoman7
on 1/31/18 3:02 pm, edited 1/31/18 7:03 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Im looking again at surgery options. I'm considering either the RNY or the Sleeve. Those of you that had the RNY.....What do you wish you had known prior to surgery?

** I researched it to death and was also a member of OH for quite awhile before I had surgery, so I felt I was very prepared. There really weren't any surprises for me.

What would you do different knowing what tou know now?

** nothing. But I am so glad I had OH the whole time. I'm sure I would not have been nearly as successful without the vets on here, and many examples of people who've been phenomenally successful with this.

Do you regret having the surgery?

** not for one freaking second! I should have had in YEARS ago!

Can you eat small amounts of sugar or sweets?

** yes. I can eat whatever I want. The first few weeks can be tough, though. Lots of things bothered my stomach. Not anymore (unfortunately....sometimes I wish I was a dumper!)

Whats the worst thing & most positive out of your experience?

*** I can't think of one negative thing. My life has completely changed for the better. As I said above, I should have done this YEARS ago.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

pammieanne
on 1/31/18 4:40 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Oh yes... The first few months you might think you can't eat 'anything'... But by month 6 you'll realize you definitely can (unless you are part of the v30% that dumps) I have l realized that at about 12-14 months I have found RH (Reactive hypoglycemia), but part of me considers that a blessing...

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Karen63
on 1/31/18 4:51 pm

Thank You Pammie. I see you lost a lot. Do you work hard at it such as exercising daily and meeting protein & water goals & exercise portion control?

pammieanne
on 1/31/18 5:33 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

First off all... I'm only somewhere around 18 months out... 5 years is a good time to consider yourself someone *****ally knows what's going on....

With that said...

I worked hard to get below my goal... And my goal was the standard BMI chart for my height... I am 5'5" and currently at 140-143.

Many people will tell you that you are thin enough when you hit a number not even close to the healthy BMI (Which isn't the perfect scale, but it's what I chose)... But don't fall for that trap. People won't be used to seeing you at a healthy weight. RARELY does it happen that people truly get too thin... RARELY...

I have worked hard... Or at least I did for about 17 months. I haven't been great these last few months, and I've gained 6-8 pounds because of it. That part might not sound like a lot, but your brain (that damned brain) will beat you up over it.

I didn't start any exercise until about a year out... And I am not one that fell in love with it. I'm much more active, yes... And I do so much more than I used to... But formal exercise isn't my thing (I'm old too though lol)... 80+- of this is your diet. Always remember that.

Your diet and control over food that is a trigger will always be the catalyst to success... And btw that stands true for RNY or aavsg... They are both basically the same diet wise.

karenp8
on 1/31/18 5:21 pm - Brighton, IL

I had done lots of research when I had my surgery 51/2 years ago. I really didn't have any surprises except how little pain I had after surgery. My highest weight was 273 and I wore tight size 28s. I had been obese my whole life even as a child. I had high cholesterol,high triglycerides, uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills,diabetes and was out of breath going down my basement steps. For the past 41/2 years plus a couple months I've weighed 118 to 120 and wear a size 0 or 1. I intentionally keep my weight at the low end of a normal bmi because I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and can no longer take NSAIDS. My cholesterol and triglycerides are normal now along with my blood sugar on no meds and my blood pressure is controlled on one low dose pill. I walk 5 miles every day because I love to and have done so many things I never would have done heavy: become a lay speaker for my church,taken obedience classes with my dog,taken a concealed carry class and learned to feel comfortable shooting a pistol and done several 5k races. I wish I had done this sooner. I can't eat sweets but can eat small amounts of fresh fruit. I consider it a blessing because the sweets were my food of choice. I weigh and measure my food so my portions are correct and keep a close eye on my weight too. The most positive thing post surgery is being able to enjoy an active life and do anything I want to. I can buy cute clothes and not have to just take whatever fits. The only negative is the saggy skin,especially on my stomach but I feel so much better that I'll take the skin any day. It is a lot of mental work and finding new ways to deal with stress and emotions instead of eating them away. It is doable though--and totally worth it. Including a before and after pic.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics