Can you actually starve to death with rny? I'm sick.

Sweetjewels72
on 2/3/18 4:20 pm

Ok so I have rny (almost 11 yrs)

I've been sick for 5 years but these last 10 months I have been much sicker. A lot more pain and it's making impossible to eat enough. I also don't get hungry. I literally forget to eat, today I ate half a cup of food at 6 pm.

I'm scared, I've lost 35lbs in the past 10 months laying in bed. I try to force it in but it makes me puke. Can we starve to death? My doc made me go back on protein shakes, they help but I can't afford it.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/3/18 8:04 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

If you cannot eat, puke when you do, and have lost 35 pounds without trying -- you need to pursue this with a doctor. Your post says you've been sick for five years. Certainly this is not normal or typical -- with an RNY or not. This is serious and not anything a message board could possibly answer.

As far as not being able to afford protein shakes, if you aren't eating anything else, then certainly they are cheaper than actually buying groceries. If you cannot afford groceries, you need to get assistance. Food stamps will cover ready-to-drink protein shakes such as Premier Protein that are available nearly everywhere.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Mary Gee
on 2/3/18 8:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You say you've been sick for five years, and sicker in the last 10 months....can you expand on that? Symptoms, tests, diagnoses. What changes started 10 months ago?

Why can't you afford protein shakes? If you're not eating food, can't you get a tub of protein powder?

Certainly need more info to go on in order to get a picture of your situation.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/3/18 8:21 pm

I am sorry to hear you are sick. And yes - if you don't get enough nutrition- you can die from malabsorbtion.

Are you talking you vitamins and minerals? They are also very critical.

Not having an appetite and not eating a lot may be ok for a while as long as you provide your body with enough proteins and vitamins/minerals. (Nutrition)

But when you are getting depleted- not having an appetite should not be an excuse. Getting enough proteins, as shakes or food plus nutrition you may need to consider that as a job. Set up reminders on a phone or a computer. And just do it.

You can get rather cheap protein powder (i.e Wal-Mart) for less than $1 per serving of 30 great. Dozen of eggs can be less than $2. 3 eggs have app 20 gr or proteins. For app $1.50-2 per day you can get 50 gr of proteins. If nothing else.

Try to think outside the box - not what you can't do - but what you can.

You can make a batch of chili- with some ground turkey and beans - high in proteins (if you can tolerate that) etc.

Being sick and not feeling good is hard. I know that. I've been there.

Even today - my guts are not too happy. I made some sauted veggies and egg frittata. Then made a protein shake (I used almond milk and some protein powder). Had some tea, and snacked on some peanuts (cheap - high calories in low volume). I end up eating egg custard for snack - eggs and pumpkin puree, butter + some sweetener, baked at 350 for 40 min. I used 6 eggs, 1 stick of butter, 1 can pumpkin. Mixed in a blender, used small glass containers and baked.

I have 6 servings of very easy to digest "snack". The snack has some proteins, fat, fiber and carbs. And taste great. Yummy. Some people add cheese or whipped cream - but I have dairy allergies.

Improvise. Don't think why you can't do something- think of what you need to do to get what your body need.

Hugs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/18 5:58 am

That pumpkin egg snack sounds yummy! Iwill write it down for the future! Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/18 6:02 am

No appetite can have a lot of health reasons not necessarily anything to do with your Gastric Bypass Surgery 11 years ago. You definitely need to go to the doctor and be evaluated and have blood work done etc. I am coming up on 10 years out myself this May.

peachpie
on 2/4/18 8:36 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I worry for newbies when they see a long timer post that they 'forget to eat'.

I have not had hunger since my RNY, but I do not forget to eat. Maybe it's because there will always be a mental obsession with food for me-- or maybe I just know that my body needs to be nourished to work properly and that nourishment needs to be consistent.

I'd hate for newbies to get the impression that surgery will make desires to eat disappear. That will be RARE and SHORT-LIVED for the VAST majority. Mileage varies, but outcomes are largely dependent on the conscious decisions we make each and every day.

I do hope the OP is getting ongoing medical treatment and follow-ups, for the physical and seemingly mental, health issues she is facing.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/4/18 3:52 pm

You are absolutely right.

I am long term post op and I do have days or periods of time that I have no desire to eat. But... The "lack of desire to eat" is almost always due to me being sick - not well.

I.e. when I have hernia and eating solid food =pain, I have no desire to eat. Or when I have food poisoning- last thing on my mind is food. In most bb of those situations- I still may feel some hunger - but rather be little hungry than eat.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

supershopper
on 2/5/18 7:22 am

If I'm having a small pouch day or super busy, I can forget to eat sometimes.

But the hunger is no longer a thing for me. Head only...

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Kathy1212
on 2/4/18 11:18 am

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time.

Does your doctor say this problem is from your RNY? Has he or she done any tests?

Plain Greek yogurt is high in protein, if you can tolerate it. I find shrimp is easy on my pouch, and really high in protein, but it is very low in calories.

Is there anyone who can help you financially to get your protein shakes? If that's all you can eat, it's very important to get them in. Can you get food stamps, if you're in the US, or apply for some other form of assistance if you're not?

Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views