Changing Gods Handiwork.

Karen63
on 2/5/18 11:13 am, edited 2/5/18 11:16 am

I realize upfront there will be differing opinions on this Topic. I am hoping we can agree to disagree & respect each others Truths as we know them or believe them.

I normally dislike talking about religion or spirituality or politics in open forums because we are so diverse in our opinions and sometimes people can take things too personally or misunderstand someones intent ,especially when you cannot hear the tone of voice or body language in which the message was delivered and every time I try to put a smiley emoticon on here it puts it as a question mark lol.

So here it goes, I keep thinking by having this surgery Im changing Gods plumbing and asking myself if I am ok with that.

There are many surgeries we sometimes need to have such as gallbladder removal and so on. The problem in my mind Im having negotiating this one is that Im wondering if God wouldnt look at this as good for me since I should be able to lose weight on my own without disrupting what he created. I have not been successful losing more than 30 pounds at a time on my own but its not my bodies fault right, its my own.

That brings me to another thought. If I cant lose weight on my own and gastric bypass surgery is only a tool than where does that leave me.

Im a bit frustrated not knowing how to resolve these questions in my mind.

ScottAndrews
on 2/5/18 11:24 am, edited 2/5/18 3:25 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Technically speaking... you will be losing weight "on your own" The surgery will be assisting you in controlling what you eat.

People have this surgery and lose weight weight and then gain it back. That's not because God didn't want them to be skinny. Donuts and Coca Cola don't occur naturally.

Also.... google "biggest loser study".

Notaboutperfect
on 2/5/18 11:37 am
VSG on 11/08/16

Only you can decide if you want surgery or not. There are religions that would not agree with medical intervention for weight loss. It's important that you're asking yourself these questions.

After struggling with dieting and my weight for 25 years, God presented me with information I didn't have before. I decided I was willing to work very hard combining the strengths of the therapy, WLS, exercise, and diet. (again, presented to me by a God that loves me). Personally, I couldn't lose my weight much less maintain that loss without all of these tools, WLS is just one part.

This is an open forum, and I'm probably along the more liberal vein of believers. I just don't believe in a god that gets "mad". Why give us the ability to invent a car if God only wants us to walk everywhere?

kitmouse
on 2/5/18 12:25 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

So I'm not a religious person, and I can't speak to that. But I AM a physical therapist and an anatomist, and I have utmost respect for the design and function of the body. The way the body works is a glorious orchestrated thing, and for many many years my thought was, "the body is designed perfectly. Who am I to change it? I'm just not working hard enough."

Then I took a hard look at my history. All the diets. All the doctors. All the books. All the planning and recording and measuring. The college classes. I accepted that something was happening in my body that I had done my level best but I could not control. And I had surgery.

And the most amazing thing: after surgery, something was changed. Be it chemical or hormonal or something to do with my individual biodome, something was different. It was something that I had never felt before. I don't know what changed, but I'm sure to my core that I wouldn't have been able to change it myself without surgery.

We are different. Our bodies are different. It does make sense that our bodies will need a non-standard approach to be healthy.

CJ On Orcas
on 2/5/18 3:39 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

So well said, thank you.

Karen63
on 2/5/18 5:15 pm
Gwen M.
on 2/5/18 1:25 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I feel that, if you go down this route of thinking, you should stop using a car and walk everywhere - since your god gave you legs to move with. And you probably should eat food in its raw state, because that's the way it was originally created.

But, perhaps it might be worth thinking that your god also gave people the desire to explore, explain and experiment, leading to things like weight loss surgery. So if you believe that god created you, and everything, then surely that same god knew where it would lead to and allowed for that?

Would you god want you to use every tool at your disposal to become healthy? Or would your god want you to continue to struggle without success?

Maybe these are questions you should ask your clergy for help with?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Karen63
on 2/5/18 5:16 pm
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/5/18 2:15 pm

You drive a car? you wear glasses? (sunglasses) you wear dress, brush your teeth, hopefully go to the dentist, etc. You take pain medication that can affect how your feel.

If you need heart surgery? or tumor removal....would you hesitate?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Librarian67
on 2/5/18 2:26 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

I suspect that you don't want to hear what I have to say, but as you say, you did choose to post in a public forum.

You need to see a therapist before you even consider surgery. WLS doesn't fix your head, only gives you the chance to become healthy and live life to the fullest. Sounds like you have other things that need to be resolved before WLS though.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404