10 Years Post Op And Noticing Slight Gains. Should I Be Concerned

BrandiDawn
on 2/10/18 6:14 pm

I had RNY in March 2008. Went from 320 to 119 within a year. I gained a little (was happy too) and maintained between 123 and 128. Within 3 years, I had two surprise pregnancies and easily returned to the high 120's or low 130's for all of these years.

However over the last year I've moved up between 135 and 140. Should I be concerned? I suffered from PCOS prior to surgery, but haven't had any signs since the WL. I've noticed a bit more of an appetite than in years passed, though I still don't feel I'm overeating at all. Is it typical to gain a little this far out?

Gwen M.
on 2/11/18 8:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you don't "feel" that you're overeating, I assume this means you aren't measuring and tracking what you're eating? Portion creep is common and normally goes unnoticed. Start tracking what you eat and see if you actually are overeating or not.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

BrandiDawn
on 2/11/18 4:34 pm

Thank you for your reply. What I mean by saying I'm not over eating is that, I eat the same now as I always have. There haven't been any portion changes. I rarely ever eat out, and I eat the same now as I always have. My meals (boring as I am) are almost consistently the same. My grocery lists never change. It's very rare that I try new meals. My husband is in the military and rarely home. So I cook the same things over and over. I'm always a bit conscious of my carb in take and have never been a carbs person. Not huge on sweets. I have never been a soda drinker. My diet consists mainly of vegetables (mostly raw) with the occasional cooked green beans. Protein is mostly chicken, the occasional beef as I am anemic so I try to work that into my diet. I drink a pea protein shake about 3 times a week but I'm not normally hungry during the day and my snacks are normally hummus, sliced cheese, pickles, veggies and salami. I only drink water, I take my vitamins and a greens supplement as I have for years. And I have coffee every morning as I have for years.

NYMom222
on 2/11/18 8:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First maintaining for 10 years is great. Even if you don't normally keep a food journal doing one for one week might be a good spot check. I find doing it on paper helpful because I can write times, and notes about what is going on to look for patterns. At the end of the day you can put it in something like my fitness pal to actually see your calories, carbs etc

When was the last time you had blood work and a physical? Maybe you should get checked out.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

BrandiDawn
on 2/12/18 4:48 am

I have my 10 year check up on the 20th. I don't own a scale but had noticed my pants a little tighter. So when I go to my chiropractor for the last 2 months I began checking my weight there weekly and I had me balancing about 8 to 10lbs heavier than last years appointment. So it freaked me out a little. I haven't seen above 135 in 10 years. I do use my fitness pal. But I haven't been consistent with it. So I guess that can be a start. Thank you

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/18 4:52 am

Maintaining for 10 years is great.

However, gaining 10 lbs indicates that you are eating more than your body need to maintain. If you are happy with your current weight - that is great, but unless you change things - the gain may continue, and before you realize- you may gain another 10 or 20 lbs.

Then what? Unfortunately as we get older our metabolism changes and we need to eat less to maintain. What I could eat 10 years ago and now is different.

Muscles loss may contribute to lower metabolism. I maintained my weight but I also lost muscles. During last 3 months I started working with a PT to rebuild my muscles. I gained some weight in the process- but a large portion of it is muscles. I am ok with that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics