Lowered immune system?

Lucile777
on 2/11/18 6:11 am

I am 3.5 months post op. I have a really bad case of pink eye and have never had it in my life. Does the immune system get weaker after RNY surgery?

catwoman7
on 2/11/18 6:25 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I haven't been sick at all since mine - and many people claim they are healthier than ever. I could see where maybe really early out, when you're taking in very few calories and your body is trying to heal from the surgery, that the immune system might be weaker (although this is just a guess - I have no medical background), but after that, I don't think so. At least, I don't hear people talking about weakened immunity, and I've been hanging out on these boards for about five years. So the pink might be related...or not. Sorry you're having to deal with that!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/18 7:01 am, edited 2/10/18 11:02 pm

Hi Lucille,

i have gotten less colds and sickness since my Gastric Bypass almost 10 years ago. I have 2 girls and when they were little in daycare I had pink eye couple of times. Very contagious and you can easily pick up from anywhere someone who has it touched grocery store anywhere.

People have a tendency to pin any and everything that medical happens on WLS. Most times nothing to do with the WLS. Our Surgery is our friend and blessing way more then the culprit. My oppinion anyway. I think only way weak immune is if blood labs show your not absorbing your vitamins and not getting in your protein. Why yearly labs so important.

i I hope your eye feels better. Did you start the antibiotic drops? Should feel much better in a day after that.

Best to you and your journey.

(edited to fix a couple sentences)

Lucile777
on 2/11/18 11:17 am

Hi,

yes I started the eye drops. Even my eyelids are swollen! Starting to see an improvement. Let's hope they get better.

thanks,

L

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/18 7:28 am

You might be using eye makeup ( or even experimenting with public samples in stores- yikes ) more than pre surgery because ( of course ) you feel sexy and attractive.

Old eye makeup really messes us up... just throw it all out start over .... it happened to me too . (((())))

Lucile777
on 2/11/18 11:17 am

I just threw out my liquid liner. Thanks:)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views