Carbs driving me crazy

WantingToGetThere
on 2/11/18 4:55 pm
RNY on 01/07/17

Hi friends. Hope all is well. I've been back on track this week and lost 10lbs! Feeling pretty good. The only thing that is driving me crazy is carbs! I keep going over my 40g daily goal, and it's bugging me because it's from milk, veggies, etc, the little healthy things keep adding up. I feel like I'm getting all the protein and fats right but these carbs are just making me angry LOL. Am I being too strict? Do the healthy food carbs really count? Just would like some insight.

thanks in advance!

NYMom222
on 2/11/18 7:58 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Everyone is different. I always believed in ranges, as not going to eat exactly the same everyday. For me during weight loss it was 50ish. If they are coming from healthy foods, you are losing and they aren't triggering you to eat more unhealthy carbs, I wouldn't worry.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

The Salty Hag
on 2/11/18 8:28 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes, the healthier food carbs count, sadly, but they're not like the simple carbs found in sugary and starchy foods. They shouldn't hinder weight loss or cause cravings, so they're not damaging like sugar and flour carbs.

Most of my carb intake is from dairy, and I don't really worry too much about it, but that being said-if it's really bugging you, you can try cutting out some dairy in favor of something else and see how your numbers look to you after changing things up.

I've noticed that I like my numbers better without quite so many dairy carbs, even if it's just a few times a week. (I do love my dairy.)

I also switched out my calcium citrate supplement for something with 1/2 the carb amount. I was getting 12 g of carbs a day from my old supplement.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

alaskasusan
on 2/11/18 8:41 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I did the same thing for my calcium!! I loved the Bariatric Advantage caramel chews...but then I took a good hard look at everything and seeing the carb count, I quickly changed out to powdered calcium taken in water a couple times a day. Zero carbs, and less expensive. Same for my protein shake I still take daily (because even at 5 years there is no way I can hit my mark unless I include a small shake); I changed from Chike to IsoPure Zero Carb. Everything adds up for sure!

The Salty Hag
on 2/12/18 3:47 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Oh yeah, the caramel chews are a yummy way to get calcium, but pretty carby-those were my supplement of choice as well. It is nuts how quickly carbs add up for the day.

I wish I could do the powdered supplement. I tried one, and it didn't sit well with me. I've been using the Celebrate chewables.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

hollykim
on 2/12/18 11:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 12, 2018 at 12:55 AM Pacific Time, WantingToGetThere wrote:

Hi friends. Hope all is well. I've been back on track this week and lost 10lbs! Feeling pretty good. The only thing that is driving me crazy is carbs! I keep going over my 40g daily goal, and it's bugging me because it's from milk, veggies, etc, the little healthy things keep adding up. I feel like I'm getting all the protein and fats right but these carbs are just making me angry LOL. Am I being too strict? Do the healthy food carbs really count? Just would like some insight.

thanks in advance!

my opinion is Fitch the carbs, use almond milk , unsweetened.

Vegetables are not really necessary while losing weight. Protein and fat are most important. As long as you are overweight, you have plenty of fat stored to burn and that takes the place of needing vegetables.

i personally would Fitch the carbs and est all the protein I can hold , as many times a day as it takes. I would maximize my weight loss now cause rapid loss ability is not going to last forever.

Erin T.
on 2/12/18 4:00 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

During my weight loss, 40g was pretty much my upper cut off. It sounds like you are losing fine with that amount so it's probably fine. I think low-carb makes plenty of sense, but I've not been 'as strict' as some because A) I lose fine and B) very nearly all my carbs come from dairy (a lot of whole fat plain greek yogurt) and nuts (now that I'm maintaining). Even now, after 6+ months of maintenance, I don't really eat any veggies to get carbs from (a bite or two at dinner is all).

I start to worry if my carbs are coming from grains, potatoes, sweets, bars, etc.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?