Grumble. Why won't my body let go??!!

SeekingONEderland
on 2/19/18 6:50 pm
RNY on 01/22/18

HI all! I'm very very new to this. 4 wks new to be exact. I'm sure this is one of the most redundant questions asked so forgive my green around the edges. Tomorrow I am exactly 4 wks post op. I have been thrilled with how easy surgery and recovery was. 1st week I lost 10lbs, second week I lost 10lbs, third and fourth.....NOTHING!!??? I'm here to tell you, I can't wrap my head around it. If you could see how little I'm eating, it doesn't seem physically possible to not be losing more and more. What gives? I bet I barely eat a cup of food a day. This not being hungry thing is great and comes at a total relief to not feel so ravenous all the time, but not seeing the scale move at such an early stage where everyone else seems to report only loss, is frustrating. Btw, the most devastating outcome for me personally is the drinking part. I love, love love guzzling water. I cannot quench my thirst and that makes me sad too. I just wanna guzzle ice water. Boo!

Writergurl08
on 2/19/18 7:33 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Type "three week stall" into the search and you'll find how very much you are not alone. I'm only a few days out, but I am expecting the same to happen to me. Your body is adjusting, and occasionally will stall. You've just changed how it works in a huge way. Stick to the program and it will start coming off again :)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Haley_Martinez
on 2/19/18 7:59 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Hello!

I have not yet had my surgery but I've been lurking on forums for quiet a while now and I've seen several posts about this same thing! Apparently nearly everyone goes through this. I've read that the weight loss after surgery is very much like steps, ie; you lose a ton of weight, then nothing for a couple weeks (or more), then lose a significant amount of weight for a week or two, then nothing for a couple weeks, and on and on. From what I could gather, the general conclusion is that this is nothing to worry about, it happens to everyone, and as long as you keep doing what the doctor says you will start losing again soon.

I agree with the other commenter to look up the past posts because there is a ton of information on this subject and it's really reassuring to read.

Best of luc****ep in there, you are doing great, 20lb's so far is awesome!

-Haley

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

catwoman7
on 2/19/18 9:21 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

most of us have our first stall at about the third week out; thus, the "three-week stall". Mine lasted for two weeks. Just stick to your program - it'll break. I promise.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Lina_Ann
on 2/20/18 5:08 am

My 3rd and 4th week I stalled too. It eventually fell off. I'm able to 'chug' water for a few seconds. I feel you on the ice water. I always have ice water with me.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

CarlRay
on 2/20/18 5:10 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Yep, what they all said. I'm coming up on a year out, and it's done that all along. One week you drop around 10 lbs, then the next nothing. Then just as you start to step on the scale after a couple of weeks of not losing, the number has dropped so much you turn around to see if there's part of you laying on the floor behind you. It still happens to me, I've been at goal since just before Christmas, and it stayed the same for a few weeks (even retained water a little and went up a couple), to the point that I thought I was just "done" and leveled off. It's slowed (expected) but it's still dropping even this morning. With the astonished remarks I'm hearing from family and friends, and even remarks out of concern for my health, I'm almost glad to be slowing down (truthfully I'm still trying for another 20) but we can't lose forever. There'd be nothing left!

My clinic doctor said that a "stall" really isn't the right word, because he said I'd find that body dimensions were changing in that non-losing time. So good things are still happening as long as you persevere. You do what you're supposed to, and let your body figure things out. Drink lots of water!

Cheers!

babsinga
on 2/21/18 6:23 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

Many of us experience this. I did. Lost a bit in two weeks and then nothing for 3 whole weeks. This is my weight loss pattern anyway. For example, I lost 7 pounds last month and I have been in a stall for two weeks now and finally the scale dropped a pound. I now expect to see a 3-4 pound loss in the next few weeks and then two to three weeks of nothing again. Its frustrating to stay motivated but you can do it!

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?