Newbie Here

Kellbell23
on 2/20/18 6:53 am

I had my first consultation with my surgeon yesterday. We decided that bypass was the best option for me. So tell me your success stories, please or any advice you have! Especially those who have been successful at reversing diabetes. I'm meeting with the nutritionist and physiologist today and officially start my 3 month countdown. (As long as I meet all requirements)

ks76
on 2/20/18 8:07 am
RNY on 11/29/17

Good Luck with all of your pre op things! I hope it all goes well with you. I had no co-morbidities..just my BMI. So I have no advice with the diabetes but its been wonderful for me so far. I am 12 weeks out from surgery tomorrow and feel so much better overall. The eating habits in my house have changed drastically for everyone..including my husband who swore he wasn't giving up his beef (My surgeon doesn't allow you to try and add beef back in for 3 months)

He eats ground turkey/chicken all the time now. lol!

We go to the gym, we walk when we can't get to the gym, my weight is down quite a bit as well. I've already gone from a 3X in scrubs to an XL for work. It's been amazing for me.

Highest Weight: 315, Day Of Surgery: 291.5 CW 184

Lishamc1
on 2/20/18 8:32 am

Are you on oral medications or insulin? How long have you been diabetic? I was on oral medications for approx 7 years with my diagnosis a1c at 9.8, I was put on long acting insulin approx 4 months before surgery with my a1c being 5.8 at the time of surgery. After surgery I did sliding scale insulin for a week. A week after surgery I was off all medications (I had several comorbitidies: high blood pressure, Nash syndrome, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and more). Next month is my 6 month follow up and they will run all my labs to see where I am at at that time. But since surgery my blood sugars are between 70 and 120 and my blood pressure has been on the lower of normal side.

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

Kellbell23
on 2/20/18 10:58 am

I've been on oral meds for not quite a year.

Writergurl08
on 2/20/18 10:01 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I had my RNY surgery less than a week ago (still sore, but getting better!) and my blood sugars have been in range for the last 3 days without medication, though they were elevated the day after (probably stress/trauma from surgery).

Prior to this, I had been diagnosed since 2011, and have been on both oral meds and long-acting insulin the whole time, and mealtime insulin for about 3 years.

I will be reporting my blood sugars to my endocrinologist and seeing what will need to be done as I get further out and my menu expands

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 69 views
Recent Topics