Surgery tomorrow, just got sick.

ThePlusSide
on 2/20/18 10:16 am
RNY on 02/21/18

I'm due to have my RNY procedure done at 9am tomorrow morning. A stomach virus spread through my house, starting with my school-age daughter, and the rest of us now have it. Thankfully it seems to be a short-lived version because 2/4 are better within 24hrs, and I only vommited once 12 hours ago. No fever and otherwise feeling ok. I'm assuming I'll be good to go for tomorrow but it's still aggravating. I've been a germaphobe for weeks leading up to this, but as usual, germs found their way home from school. -_- I'm on clear-liquids only all day today for pre-op anyway and holding them down just fine. Just venting. Anyone else have this experience pre-op?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/18 10:29 am

I would call the doc. I woudl not risk a serious surgery with infection.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 2/20/18 11:02 am

^^^ What Hala said for sure.

The last thing you want to do is show up for your surgery tomorrow without them knowing you've been exposed to a stomach bug and actually vomited within the last 24 hours. They won't appreciate that I can promise you.

Just give them a call and let them make the decision. They might be completely ok with it, but either way you'll know for sure. If they have to re-schedule be glad that they are concerned enough about your health to do what they feel is best.

Good luck. Stupid flu.

ThePlusSide
on 2/22/18 2:01 pm
RNY on 02/21/18

Update: I did discuss it with the surgeon. I never had a fever and all symptoms were gone by night time so he was able to do the surgery as planned, thankfully. I had it done yesterday and it's been a rough recovery, more pain than I anticipated, but doing well otherwise. I heard day 2 is the worst so I'm hoping to be more comfortable soon. On full liquids and having a hard time drinking enough but getting there slowly.

Partlypollyanna
on 2/22/18 3:45 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Glad it worked out and congratulations on your big step!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Amy R.
on 2/23/18 2:32 am

I'm glad they didn't have to postpone your surgery. It's just always good to let your surgeon make that call.

Sorry about the pain. Wish I could make it go away for you. Lots of people have a bit of a tough time and there just isn't any reliable way to predict how the surgery will effect us. They used to call the week after surgery "hell week" here on OH. The surgeon's cuts are getting smaller and smaller on the outside, but if you could see the inside of your body you'd know that it looks exactly the same as someone who had to have an open procedure. Big things are going on under your skin. Your body is in the throes of adjusting and healing and regardless of the size of your incision that is going to take some time. Also it will just really really suck for a couple of days.

Take your pain meds regularly - don't wait until the pain is unbearable. Those meds will work better if you stay on top of your pain. Walk and sip and then do it all over again. Expect to be pretty sore for a bit. If you come to a point where the pain meds don't control your pain, call your surgeon's office immediately.

Good luck, you're going to be fine. Life just sucks for a good few days while your body is working to heal.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404