Bariatric eating-Vitamins

cheapskate
on 3/6/18 5:23 am
RNY on 03/30/15

No excuses, lots of reason. I haven't been as diligent with my vitamins as I know I should be. whip myself with wet noodle

Does anyone here use the bariatric eating 3+3 vitamins? They claim you can take your calcium with your other stuff with their special formula.

They are attractive as a product to me because it is less commitment to how many times a day I am taking my vitamins but make me nervous because I have always been told we cant take all of our stuff together

Looking for easy vitamins to get back on track....

ks76
on 3/6/18 5:50 am, edited 3/6/18 1:14 am
RNY on 11/29/17
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/6/18 8:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Flintstones vitamins are not sufficient for WLS patients. You need something that will get you to 200% RDA, and those chewables won't do the trick.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ks76
on 3/6/18 8:50 am
RNY on 11/29/17
NHPOD9
on 3/6/18 9:03 am

Sometimes offices recommend Flintstones because they are hoping for some compliance over none. But look at the ASMBS guidelines for supplements and compare that to your vitamins designed for children. You are missing out on necessary nutrients. You can dig your heels in and refuse to be your own best advocate, but you are a postop adult, with very different needs than what Flintstones can provide. Why set yourself up for future deficiencies if you can avoid that now?

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

ashhbh
on 3/7/18 2:00 pm

I am glad you shared this. I was told by my doctor's office to take 2 Flintstone vitamins a day. Researching new options now.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/7/18 2:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A while ago, I made up a cheat sheet using the latest vitamin recommendations from the ASMBS:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6029676/Cheat-sheet-v itamin-recommendations/

Generally, you'll be fine if you take a double dose of a regular adult multivitamin pill. I know there are several of us here who take the drugstore generic version of Centrum and do two pills a day. Walgreen's often does "buy one get one free" sales so it's easy to stock up!

You'll also want to supplement with additional calcium and iron, plus anything else your doc recommends based on your bloodwork.

Here's what I take, for example:

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ashhbh
on 3/7/18 2:14 pm

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing! I just saved it to my Drive. I am definitely using it to guide some purchases on Amazon now.

Donna L.
on 3/6/18 10:47 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

We are a high-risk population being formerly obese, both physically and psychologically. That is, we don't have the best track records at maintaining our health...hence, the obesity. Many programs will shoot for lower standards rather than higher for a few reasons: 1) easier to be compliant if you can just grab it in the store, and 2) many of the programs that are Centers of Excellence have many Medicaid patients who can't always afford bariatric vitamins.

Rather than flintstones, buy the Centrum chewable vitamins and take those in the morning and at night instead. They are far better and more complete, and also cheap at Walmart or other such stores. Can get 'em off Amazon, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Erin T.
on 3/6/18 6:18 am, edited 3/6/18 12:26 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I would shy away from any gimmicks that tell you that they somehow have skirted science.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?