So worried of going through with this kind of surgery

Samar83
on 3/7/18 9:25 am

26th of march is the date of my surgery my dr t9ldmade it look easy but i hacve heard of some positive experience and some bad ones. Actually what scares me the most is vitamin deficiencies

if i take multivatsmins on time will this prevent the deficiency?

Do u advise me of going on with it or no? I need ur sincere answers plz.

hollykim
on 3/7/18 10:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 7, 2018 at 5:25 PM Pacific Time, Samar83 wrote:

26th of march is the date of my surgery my dr t9ldmade it look easy but i hacve heard of some positive experience and some bad ones. Actually what scares me the most is vitamin deficiencies

if i take multivatsmins on time will this prevent the deficiency?

Do u advise me of going on with it or no? I need ur sincere answers plz.

I can't advise you on going through with it or not. What I can tell you is it has been the BEST decision I have ever made for myself. I would have surgery once a year if that is what it took.

Mid you take your vitamins like it is your job , you will be less likely to have any deficiencies.

Samar83
on 3/7/18 3:00 am

Thank u so much!!

peachpie
on 3/7/18 10:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Taking the vitamins is a must. For life. Nearly every case I've seen where people have deficiencies, they also lapsed in taking them, or took the wrong type/dose.

there can be some values that become more difficult to stay on top of (iron) but it's still manageable. Be prepared to be an advocate for your health. Do not assume your doc/nut knows best.

Should you do it I don't know. If you don't are you prepared to manage the obesity related illness you will be plagued with??

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Samar83
on 3/7/18 11:00 am

Thnx alot!! Im just fed up of being obese ive been living like this fo so many years i just want to wear a dress and not hiding at home :(

Donna L.
on 3/7/18 10:32 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can get vitamin deficiencies with any of the weight loss surgery procedures - yes, even a sleeve. Just because a sleeve has no malabsorption doesn't mean you are immune, particularly if you are (correctly) consuming less food. And, many people with severe morbid obesity also have vitamin deficiencies actually, as we do not typically consume food with good nutrition on our journey to being overweight. You need to be diligent with taking vitamins, but also with getting regular lab work to tweak them.

Only you can decide whether or not to get any surgery. Only you know what's best for your situation. Having medical providers you trust to solicit advice from is also reliable. It's not possible for me to know whether you should get surgery or not, but I wish you the best of luck in making your choice :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Samar83
on 3/7/18 11:01 am

Thank youuu

Jester
on 3/7/18 1:34 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

It's anecdotal, but my surgeon has told me that with the modern methods of doing the RNY (taking less of the intestines out than they did previously) he is seeing almost no issues with vitamin deficiency. He said the only remaining issue he ever sees with compliant patients is iron. Aside from that, he just isn't seeing long term issue.

Daisydoo02
on 3/7/18 6:23 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Having the RNY four years ago was the best decision I ever made. I think if you ready emotionally and mentally for a change and want to better your health then yes you are ready and should do this.

As for vitamins, there are four CORE vitamins we all must take for LIFE:

1. Iron
  2. A multivitamin
  3. B12
  4. Calcium

As long as you keep those up you will be fine, if you are lax and get lazy or let "life" get in the way then yes you will have problems/deficiencies.

Again, best decision I have ever made and I would do it all again in a heart beat.

Best of luck whatever you decide

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

LynnAlex
on 3/8/18 7:21 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Vitamins are for life and I am glad. I have kept my weight within a 7 pound range for a couple of years. When I am gaining weight, too much junk food, I want to stop taking care of myself. I am a black/white type of person. Either I am good or bad. I am learning to be gray. The vitamins help me. When I gain 3 pounds, and I feel out of control and feel like I am a failure, I want to stop taking care of myself. I want to punish myself for being bad. But, I know I have to take the vitamins. This makes me take care of myself when my mind is telling me to give up. So.... the vitamins force me to love me. Hope this isn't too deep. But vitamins are so necessary with my type of surgery, RNY, that I am afraid to not take them.

I am very happy to have the surgery. Most of us get a little scared before surgery. If that is your situation, just ignore the flutters. If you are worried about vitamin problems, they can be real if you don't take them. I am currently having a few problems. The new steriod tablets for asthma will hinder my calcium. The Zantac the allergist has me on for several months will be a factor in my iron becoming even lower. But....I am thin and I am healthy. I will work harder to schedule my meds so they don't interefere with each other. These problems are so little compared to rising cholesteral and sugar problems and other health issues due to the extra weight. Again, I would have the surgery in a heartbeat.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 121 views
Recent Topics