Seriously Need Help!!!

mcjohnson2014
on 3/11/18 6:36 pm

I had RNY in 2012, lost 100+lbs and was happy with how my tool had helped me lose the weight. I exercised five days a week and my diet was spot on. Unfortunately the past year I have had serious setbacks in that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and a Perforated Ulcer (emergency surgery & a week stay in hospital). The RA has meant I have to take high doses of steroids which meant weight gain and the perforated ulcer has meant that protein shakes irritate my stomach and cause extreme pain. I'm miserable and feel as if I have forgotten every single thing I learned about eating healthy. Im depressed about my weight and just want to sit down and cry all the while stuffing my face with little debbie cakes. I need help. I need support. People who understand RNY and what it takes to use the tool. My husband does triathalons and I am SICK AND TIRED of being told that if I would eat like he does I would lose weight. My body is not his and what works for him doesnt work for me, but he doesnt get it. Please someone, anyone, please help me get back on track. Help me remember what I learned and remind me how I was able to go from 300lbs to 138lbs. I honestly don't even know caloric intake as I've moved states and the dr and support group I once had is no longer accessible to me. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Writergurl08
on 3/11/18 7:15 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I'm very new to RNY (only 3 weeks out) but I've been coming here for almost a year. The best advice I've learned is to measure, weigh, and track all of my food with complete honesty in a tracking app (I use MyFitnessPal). Every bite, taste, midnight snack, etc.

It really opens your eyes to exactly how much you're eating, even when it doesn't seem like you're eating that much, and will help steer you into where you might need to make changes. Go back to eating the protein parts of your meals first, then veggies, and cut back or ditch the carbs and starches altogether. Drink a lot of water.

You can definitely get back on track!

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Peggy B.
on 5/3/18 3:48 pm - Westlake, LA

I use MyFitnessPal, too. And drinking half your body weight in ounces of water everyday is a big one, too.

Peggy B.

/ 245.5 / 160 / Goal 150
www.peggyborel.com

Donna L.
on 3/11/18 7:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am so sorry...that is a lot to go through :( I would definitely get emotional/social support as it sounds like you may be isolated since you moved. It might be good to find a counselor to help with the stress, and then see who the best providers are where you are now. It is not your fault you are struggling necessarily. A counselor might be able to help coach you to get back on track, and give you the support you need during terrifying medical stuff.

While I'm two weeks out from revision, I had to go on oral steroids because my lungs were super inflamed, and even just for wussy six days of steroids they had to put me back on a high dose of a PPI temporarily to protect the pouch and duodenum from getting ulcers. I was actually shocked by this... my PCP wasn't sure they could be taken with a bypass, especially so close to surgery, and so she told me to call my bariatrician. He said that apparently steroids can harm the lining of the stomach and first part of the intestine, which I did not know. Normally it's a minuscule chance, but because our stomachs have so little surface area it skyrockets. I sound neurotic, but I always ask the bariatrician before I take any new medication, even when I had the sleeve. A lot is different when you have a smaller stomach. At any rate, the PPIs help with the changes/damage the steroids can cause.

I have three autoimmune disorders and many of the treatments have to be adjusted. This isn't something most doctors would know...I only even know because I asked the bariatrician about it idly. At any rate, one of mine is also RA, and every doctor/rheumatologist here had said steroids would be the absolute last resort - we will first do the DMARDS/biologic response modifiers first. they use NSAIDs and steroids only if these do not work, (even for non-WLS peeps) because while these medications are powerful, the "less dangerous" medications actually have longer-term and more dangerous side effects. Steroids can also hurt insulin resistance and cause weight gain, or even cause people to develop diabetes with long-term use. I'd ask a rheumatologist at a university medical center if possible, what other options there are...it can't hurt to ask. But, I've been told to treat steroids like NSAIDs and to proceed with caution even if they are just for a few days at a time.

As a tangent, most of my autoimmune inflammation went down when I went very low carb. As soon as my carbs go up my inflammation skyrockets for all of them. My thyroid antibodies dropped from 25,000 to around 8000 after going low carb, for example No guarantee, of course, but eliminating a lot of processed food can reduce a lot of inflammation. It's also food suited for an RNY very much so.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NYMom222
on 3/11/18 9:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First I want to say you have come to a great place for help. My best advice is come daily, read the posts, there is a daily what are you eating post that xsn be very helpful.

I had 2 surgeries this past year and my thyroid tanked. Do on done level I fo understand your frustration. For most people remembering the original rules are best- protein forward, drink you water, exercise and as Donna said most people opt for low carb, especially while losing. Also no drinking 30 minutes after meals.

Good Luck and stick around!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/18 9:31 am

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Come here and read in time your head will feel better and you will have the strength to get your healthy ways back. I am sure the medication has made it extra tough. Feel better and stay positive. Spring is coming and in a couple weeks we can all be outside more which will be good to distract us and get some fresh air.

Forgive your husband too, I am sure he means well and trying to help.

Come here for support.

Peggy B.
on 3/13/18 10:19 pm - Westlake, LA

Hello! You can get back on track and don't let anyone tell you differently! If I can, you can, too.

You are right that everyone's body is different. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005 and lost over 80 pounds. It scared me when this last year I began gaining back the weight. I regained control of my eating by using MyFitnessPal on my phone to count calories for every single thing I put in my mouth, drinking half my body weight in ounces of water everyday, and taking Plexus TriPlex products. I have lost the weight I gained plus more!

One other suggestion is, instead of shakes that irritate your stomach, check out Trimino Protein Infused Water. I love these and it is a good way to get in some protein without irritating the stomach.

You got this!

Peggy B.

/ 245.5 / 160 / Goal 150
www.peggyborel.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/18 4:15 am

Not sure about Plexus Triplex .... see link below, says not recommended for bariatric patients....

https://www.dietspotlight.com/plexus-triplex-review/

I was not sure what that was, so I googled it. Sounds like it worked for you but since I found this I thought I should share in case bad for someone else who takes it.

Peggy B.
on 3/14/18 2:59 pm - Westlake, LA

Thank you so much for sharing, and like you, I researched before trying the products. I found lots more positive than negative. For me, they do work and I'm excited I tried them. I personally know many who use these products as well as myself that have had great results. However, there are those who have tried the products and not had good results. That is usually due to inconsistency in taking the products. There are also lots of competitors who put these kinds of posts out there.

If I had not had great results, I would be skeptical, too. I pray you find the success you look for!

Peggy B.

/ 245.5 / 160 / Goal 150
www.peggyborel.com

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/14/18 10:52 am, edited 3/14/18 3:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics