New

Dawn.Meritt
on 3/12/18 7:40 pm - Montgomery, tx
RNY on 03/14/18

Hi everyone I'm new just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dawn. My surgery date is March 14,2018 at 7:30 a.m. I'm freaking out and very very nervous. I'm having horrible thoughts and I'm afraid. I know most everyone on here has gone through this, I just dont know how to calm my thoughts I feel like I'm having anxiety attacks...urrrr.

I've been trying to stay busy. I have to go to the hospital tomorrow to get blood typed etc. I'm very interested in anyone who would like to share there first couple of weeks of recovery with me. I'm having gastric bypass.

My stats:

5ft. 5in

Current weight 351 lbs.

I'm not in the best of health...I have asthma, diabetes and thyroid issues anyone else out there currently in the same situation? I would love to hear some inspiration.

Oh and my doctor is Dr. Nowanzardan from my 600 lb. life.

Thanks everyone

selhard
on 3/12/18 9:04 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I'll tell you about my first couple of week recovery in hopes you'll tell us about your experience with Dr. Now?! I was in the hospital from a Monday to a Thursday. Pain never went over a level five. The last night there I requested to be allowed to sleep the night without interruption; the request was granted, appreciated and a turning point for feeling better. Once home, I was able to sleep in a bed surrounded by lots of pillows the very first night. Wearing a velcro binder around my abdomen made movement easier than without. My DH took five days off from work although I could have managed on my own; his emotional support was the biggest help of all. I was more tired than in pain during the healing process. I took long naps throughout the day the first three weeks. Coming from a liberal program to follow, I was allowed "real" food by two weeks; chili was my favorite. Following guidelines seemed overwhelming the first week or two, but then routine set in after that. Routine was and still is the best way I found to stay focused on the WLS lifestyle. Cheering you on to what has been a good decision for me and even a "gooder" way to live. You'll see. All the Best to You.

Dawn.Meritt
on 3/12/18 9:50 pm - Montgomery, tx
RNY on 03/14/18

Thank you so much I appreciate the insight on your recovery. I look forward to all support on hear and to share mine as well :)

MeerKat1994
on 3/13/18 4:13 am
RNY on 05/09/17

My experience was great (minus the fact that I drew the short straw and had to share a room). The first day was actually the easiest for me because I was so out of it. Haha. I became a little more uncomfortable day 2-5; but coming home and sleeping without the beeps of a hospital is helpful.

The hardest part immediately after surgery is drinking enough fluids. Do your best, you don't want to get dehydrated. Walk as much as you can. Rest.

Its not a walk in the park, but you'll most likely quickly forget any pain or discomfort. I actually look back on the weeks leading up to my surgery and immediately afterward quite fondly! It was terrifying and exciting knowing how much my life was about to change.

and okay; I'm fan girling over here. Is he as phenomenal as he seems?

Dawn.Meritt
on 3/13/18 3:08 pm - Montgomery, tx
RNY on 03/14/18

Thank you for the support and I plan on moving as much as possible. I'm nervous scared excited...every emotion right now. I see everyone looking amazing after surgery and I can not comprehend that I will also, doesn't seem possible, but I know I will succeed.

As far as Dr. Now honestly he has absolutely no bedside manor...lol...no sense of humor at all. But I know I'm in good hands. He's not easy to talk to, I don't feel like they actually support there patients like you think they would. Its weird.

Thank you

seattledeb
on 3/13/18 6:36 pm

Surgeons aren't known for their stellar bedside manner. I like those surgeons. I'm going to them for their ability to perform surgery.

Try moving,drinking,deep breathing, and to remember the early post operative period is short. Then it comes to the fun part. Losing a whole bunch of weight.

KatieCJ
on 3/13/18 5:14 am

The first couple days of my recovery were hard. I was in pain (a 6-7), and the pain medication made me nauseous and vomit, it was awful. With all that, it was a real struggle to get my liquids in. On day 2 in the afternoon, we stopped all narcotics and it made a huge difference.

The pain was manageable with Tylenol. By day 4, I didn't even need Tylenol.

Im two weeks out and easily hitting my fluid and protein targets. I took my son to his hockey tournament yesterday no problem, and I've been walking a few miles a day.

Good luck!

• Surgery (RNY): February 27th 2018. HW: 350lbs SW: 318lbs CW: 141lbs
Dawn.Meritt
on 3/13/18 3:13 pm - Montgomery, tx
RNY on 03/14/18

Oh wow sounds like your doing great. I pray to be doing as well. Thank you

MichelleS61
on 3/13/18 5:24 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I'm just over 2 weeks post surgery and have many of the same health issues plus a few more.

I have issues coming out of anesthesia because of my asthma, surgery in my case was a couple hours plus 2-1/2 hours in recovery, they want you to start sipping right away, so my husband stuck around for a few hours to encourage me to sip water in my groggy state, they set up a row of little sippy cups on the table and left beside my bed so that every time I woke up I could drink something.

Pain was really bad from the air for a couple of days 7-8, but I've only taken tylenol occasionally since then. I've also healed up well which was a concern due to my Diabetes.

Good luck on your journey, this is a wonderful tool, I'm hoping to get off Insulin soon.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Dawn.Meritt
on 3/13/18 3:22 pm - Montgomery, tx
RNY on 03/14/18

Anesthesia always scares me with the asthma, but I'm praying for no complications. I look forward to following your journey.

Thank you

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 23 views