When does the weight loss stop? And water with meals?

GerryF2003
on 4/6/18 4:47 pm
RNY on 12/11/17

I'm almost 4 month's post-op and I'm worried about when the weight loss will stop. I've heard that the first 6 months are the "magic" months when you lose most of your weight, but I hope that's not true because I have so much more to go!

I'm also worried that I've screwed my self by breaking some of my Dr.'s rules, like no drinking with meals. (I don't intentionally do this, I just keep forgetting until mid-meal, then I stop.) Actually that's probably the only rule I seem to consistently break. Does anyone have any tips for how to break the habit of having a glass (or bottle) of water that you constantly sip on throughout the day? It took me years to get into this habit so breaking it is proving to be pretty difficult. ?

HW 300+, SW 265, CW 202

I do not apologize for my existence no matter how uncomfortable it might make you.

Erin T.
on 4/6/18 5:33 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Drinking during meals with RNY is a sure way to (eventually, after the honeymoon) gain weight. You probably need to just decline a drink entirely and when at home don't bring one to the table. I no longer order/keep a drink around me during meals.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Stitch83
on 4/6/18 6:52 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

I absentmindedly grabbed my water bottle once after surgery in the middle of a meal without thinking. Since then I put my water bottle in the kitchen when I go to make my meal so it's not near me when I eat.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

White Dove
on 4/6/18 7:57 pm - Warren, OH

Most weight loss is in the first six months. You can keep losing as long as you keep the calorie count down. Here is an explanation of what happens when you drink with meals. Your stomach had a valve that kept food in. Your pouch does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0VM3mnsgM

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 4/7/18 4:54 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I kept losing well into my second year, but it slows down dramatically after the first six months or so. Just don't give up - the weight *will* come off if you're really committed to losing.

And quit drinking with food!! That is a surefire way to stop your weight loss - if not gain!! Very important not to break that rule!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

ScottAndrews
on 4/7/18 7:39 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Simply put, the weight loss stops when you start consuming the same amount of calories that you burn. The rub is that the more weight you lose; the less calories you need.

Before surgery I could eat around 3,000 calories a day and not really gain weight. At my current weight I'd likely gain a pound it two per week.

Drinking while eating is a habit you want to break sooner rather than later. Up to now your stomach has been more or less "closed for business" but the grand reopening is coming. This is the time to be forming good nutritional habits. Bottom line is just stick to the eating plan prescribed to you and keep your body moving and the weight will continue to drop.

Amy R.
on 4/7/18 9:29 am, edited 4/7/18 2:30 am

"Does anyone have any tips for how to break the habit of having a glass (or bottle) of water that you constantly sip on throughout the day? It took me years to get into this habit so breaking it is proving to be pretty difficult. ?"

I may be wrong but it sounds like you are asking about two separate issues. To help with not drinking during meals or immediately after, try not bringing a drink to the table at all. As far as sipping constantly throughout the day? If I'm understanding you correctly you don't need to worry. It's 100% ok, and actually a good thing, to sip drinks all day long. It actually helps you to get in all of the fluids you need.

Once you concentrate on not allowing yourself to drink during meals you'll quickly become used to it. Making a mistake once in a while won't hurt you but you have to be vigilant and make sure it doesn't happen very often.

You'll do fine, it's something most of us struggle with at first and it just takes practice.

edited because I forgot to answer your other question. We lose weight the fastest during the first few months. But most of us don't stop losing completely after month six and there is no reason for anyone to do so. I continued losing (slowly) well into my second year. And when I took off my latest re-gain I actually got down to my very lowest post op weight. I was seven or eight years out. Bottom line? It is what you make of it. Take in less calories than you expend and you will lose weight regardless of how far out you are postop.

ScaleSkater
on 4/7/18 10:03 am

My rule is to have a bottle with me every hour except meals. Then it's out of reach or in the kitchen. Time to learn some meal discipline. Like I immediately push the water over to my wife as soon as we are seated.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Patch_UK
on 4/7/18 11:29 am
RNY on 02/14/18

That video half-way up the thread is bloody brilliant!

Anyone that is having trouble getting liquid in - use a drinking straw. This really helped me..

Au_Contraire
on 4/7/18 12:55 pm

Hi Gerry,

Everyone's experience will be somewhat different. I started at 353 pounds, lost to 251 by my 6-month surgiversary (including 18 lbs. lost during my 2-week pre-op diet), and now, not quite 4 months later, I have lost another 44 pounds. Is my rate of loss slightly slower? I don't care. It's definitely still coming off. I have 57 more pounds to go to my first goal. Then I will evaluate where I'm at. I see the wisdom in setting my sights for a lower weight in order to have more wiggle room as my body transitions to maintenance, and of course, I may decide I prefer to weigh 130 rather than 150 (I am 64 years old, and 5'8" ). I don't yet know. I will probably have a DEXA scan at that point just to really know what my body fat % is, and then I can make my decision as to how much more to lose based on that. I keep to 600 calories per day because I really want to take full advantage of this period, which I know won't come again! Even if it takes me until 2019 to get there, I am bound and determined to do so. As long as I do my part I know I'll get there.

I think if you just plow ahead, watching and logging your calories and keeping them quite low, getting adequate protein, keeping carbs very low, and drinking until you float away, you should continue to lose all along. As you approach goal of course you won't be losing as much per week or month as you were earlier, because you will have so much less to lose. Don't worry and don't lose heart. If you keep at it and follow the path it will happen for you!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics