6 weeks and some troubles

Daisydoo02
on 4/12/18 1:26 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Poor thing, you have discovered orthostatic hypotention, sucks right. I had it too when I was newly post op. it was bad, I fainted a few times, lucky I was at home each time, it was getting up from the couch and my husband was with me, never hurt myself just scared myself.

I started to get up REALLY REALLY SLOWLY. It was hard to retrain myself. So getting up from sleeping in bed, go slow, getting out of a hot shower, go slow and hold on to something, getting up from the couch, chair, or getting out of the car, GO SLOW. This does eventually pass but for the first little while its not a nice feeling.

You can drink G2 Gatorade, its the sugar free version. I have seen it at Costco and Walmart. I don't think we have Power Aid Zero here in Canada, if I see it while I am out I will PM (Personal Message) you where I saw it.

The other thing to look for is electrolyte tablets. The kind of thing athletes use. I have a female cousin from Ottawa she is hard core and does several Triathlons a year and a million marathons and she uses the brand called "Nuun" tablets for her electrolyte replacement. She says they are awesome. You can find those kinds of things in any sports store here like National Sports, Sport Chek - I get mine from Sport Chek.

You do not need to increase your calories, you are doing awesome right where you are. I saw in your other post you are in a stall, yup they happen and they happen whenever they feel like happening, just ride the wave and in no time you will be losing again, its to 99% of us. Don't forget to keep taking your measurements while in a stall, you might be losing inches while you body takes time to adjust to the weight loss and then will kick start the loss again.

Remember, GET UP SLOWLY. And if you are with people out somewhere and you get up slowly and something says "oh are you okay?" just say "I faint sometimes if I get up to fast, low blood pressure." People will totally get it. But get in the habit for now of getting up slow and once you do stand up wait about 5 seconds and make sure you are not dizzy.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Stitch83
on 4/13/18 3:09 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks Daisy...it's so hard to remember to go slow sometimes, I really pay when I don't remember though! Just had another nearly fall to the ground moment of dizziness. Making myself remember to slowly rise and trying some of the tips suggested here though and hopefully it helps.

I did get some G2, my mom brought it over but realized it actually isn't sugar free it has 14 grams of sugar and the second ingredient is liquid sugar. However I separated it to multiple servings over a few days to decrease the amount of sugar I was taking in. Appreciate you keeping an eye out for the Powerade zero, that is really sweet of you. I'm going to head out to Sportcheck this weekend and look for the electrolyte tabs and fidntbeh salt capsules too. Thanks for the tab suggestion!

im generally doing well with how much I eat just wasn't sure if I should be adding the snacks in too but sounds like my overall calories are along the same lines as where you were so that's good. Just worried as last month lost 20 lbs but only 10 now so far this month and I don't want to slow so fast in the weight loss. Hopefully it picks up over the next week. I am losing inches for sure though! Pants are finally getting to big.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Emiepie
on 4/12/18 3:49 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

So far you have received lots of great advice and feedback. One thing someone mentioned to me (I don't remember if it was here or my local SG) was to "bicycle" your legs before standing up from a seated or laying down position. Not sure how to describe other than move your legs a little bit like you are riding a bike or something similar. I guess it can help the blood flow a little. At the time it I was experiencing the lightheaded episodes it did seem to help but I was also trying a few of the other things so I can't be certain which helped.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Stitch83
on 4/13/18 3:10 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks I'll try the bicycle motion too, easy enough to do!

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

GRANDMAr
on 4/16/18 9:32 am
VSG on 10/21/16

Hi!

I had the same thing happen to me.

I was told to increase my liquids, protein and to make sure I took my vitamins.

You should speak with your surgeon or WLS nurse. They NEED to know about this.

When anything goes wrong, you HAVE to make the doc aware.

As far as food, if you have a NUT, speak to the NUT for guidance.

If you do NOT have a WLS team, speak with your PCP.

Good luck!

Stitch83
on 4/17/18 3:05 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks. They are aware and had mentioned to add salt and extra water but it didn't seem to be helping. My pcp basically said we have to ride it out and he will consider a medication depending on whether there is anything in my blood work which indicates imbalances.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 342 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 128 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?