Vitamins After Surger

hopeful123
on 4/19/18 8:42 am - Indianapolis , IN

Hello,

I had surgery in 2009, i have regained almost all of my weight. I have never taken the surgery seriously and after losing so fast i thought i was home free. I have major depression and anxiety, I also was diagnosed with lupus and fibromyalgia in 2009 after my surgery. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis. I just received a call from my neurologist that my ferritin level is 7. In June of 2017 it was 18.1. So now they want me to start taking iron. I would like to know what vitamins everyone still takes and how much. I have looked online for answers and have gotten different ones. So i am asking all of you for your help. Please and thank you,

Tonya Salinas

TONYA

Erin T.
on 4/19/18 9:36 am
VSG on 01/17/17

What vitamins are you taking already? The general guideline is a double dose multivitamin (ex: two centrum once-daily pills), iron + vitamin c, and 1,500mg (minimum) of calcium citrate divided over 3 doses.

You need to take your iron separate from your calcium and your iron separate from coffee and other drinks/foods with tannins. You also need to make sure you had a full panel of bloodwork so you can gauge if there are other things you need to supplement based on your personal numbers.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Kathy S.
on 4/19/18 9:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello hopeful123

Here is a great post from Julie about what/how many for our vitamins.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6032156/Helpful-vitam in-info/

I am going to send you a great list of basics that will help you get back on track and also what I do for iron....

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

ladygodiva1228
on 4/19/18 11:31 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

If your ferritin level is a 7 then you need to see a hematologist like yesterday to get iron infusions. All the iron pills in the world are not going to bring that number up.

I take a 50 plus multi vitamin twice a day, Vitd3, vit k, zinc, calcium citrate, probiotic and 3 proferrin Iron pills. I get up at 4am so I take all but the iron pills with a cup of almond milk then four hours later I take one iron pill then another one 3 hours later and the last one 3 hours after that. Just before bed I take my other multi vitamin. I also give myself a B12 shot every month.

My ferritin was down to 4.5 the end of last year and I had to get two iron infusions since then my ferritin is at 63 and I have been taking the proferrin iron pills since 1 month after the infusions in hopes the ferritin stays or goes up from the 63. I know I haven't felt tired at all so that is a good sign.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/19/18 12:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Start taking your vitamins every day. It is possible to die from nutritional deficiencies.

See a therapist so you can start taking your surgery-- and your health-- seriously.

For your own sake, I hope you actually listen to the folks here this time, since you apparently ignored a LOT of good advice a year ago.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/19/18 12:33 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You said last year that you took yourself off your psych meds. Speaking as someone with a mental illness, this is a VERY BAD IDEA. I hope you're back on some sort of medication and working with a medical professional to address your mental health as well?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/19/18 1:08 pm

It is hard for me to believe the docs did not tell you you need to be taking vitamins and minerals post op RNY.

But - things happen. I know. I know I am not perfect - and I had things I forgot or.. just did not do because i felt it was "too much work".

Any way; Check this post. Julie did an amazing job to gather and then post the information about vitamins and minerals post op WLS. We can't relay on docs or other people to that taht for us. Unfortunately.

In my 10 years post op I had so far 4 series of iron infusions. My body does not absorb iron properly, so every few years I had to "pay and cry" and get loaded with IV iron. But most people do very well with oral iron.

Check Julie post and start being proactive about your health.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6032156/Helpful-vitam in-info/#50406259

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics