Long term leg pains. Agony!

Joey1967
on 5/2/18 8:20 am

Hi,

i was a very active member here on my pre op and post op phase.i slipped away due to living my life to the full. I moved from the US back home to the U.K. in 2013 leaving mentally abusive (now ex!).

i came back to log in and cannot remember my login details! Plus my old email is obsolete.

I had a RNY in December 09 got to goal weight in a few months.

My question is are any long term RNYerss having leg pains? It feels like it?s in my bones!

ive been suffering about 4 years, labs are great, and had extensive testing over here.

i wondered if anyone is in the same boat? It?s worse lying down but bad all day every day. I?m on Pain meds which I hate!

Any ideas please?

Kathy S.
on 5/2/18 8:21 am, edited 5/2/18 1:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Joey,

Welcome Back! Sorry to hear you are having issues with leg pain. I never had leg pain but hopefully some of the members can help. Be sure and follow up with your doctors to see what may be going on. PM me with your old email address and I can locate and give you access to your old account.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Joey1967
on 5/3/18 12:23 pm

Hi Kathy!

Thanks! How do I PM you? I can't see a place to!

Kathy S.
on 5/3/18 2:35 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Joey,

Put your cursor on my avatar and you will see an option to send message. Click that and send me your old email address.

Thanks,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Grim_Traveller
on 5/2/18 9:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Start with the most obvious issues. Many RNYers st I your stage have vitamin or mineral deficiencies . Have you been keeping up with supplements?

Lots of us are told our labs are great, when they really aren't.

Do they do full labs, for all vitamins and minerals? That takes about 15 vials of blood. Any less, and they are skipping a lot of things.

You should also be getting DEXA bone density scans every 2 years. It's the only reliable test for bone health.

Do you track those lab results over time, to see if any numbers have been gradually declining?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Joey1967
on 5/3/18 12:26 pm

Thank you.

I have been keeping up with supplements. They did not take that many vials. I am in the UK so its tough to persuade the docs here that i need so many!

Not even sure any more which tests they need to riun...

Ive not heard of the DEXA bone density scan. I will ask my doc

Thanks for your reply!

Kristi T.
on 5/2/18 9:33 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Hi Joey, I had a VSG but your post caught my eye. About a year post op I developed severe pains in my right leg. All blood and bone tests came back okay. We then did an ultrasound of my veins in both lower extremities. It seems that my varicose veins(big ones) that I developed during my many years of obesity was blocking the return blood flow in both my legs. This was causing the severe pain in my right leg. I had a Venous Ablation soon after diagnosis and the pain was instantly gone. If you haven't already been tested, it might be a good idea, especially if you have Varicose Veins. Good luck, I hope you find the source of your pain soon.

Joey1967
on 5/3/18 12:27 pm

Thanks so much for replying! Worth a consideration definitely!

jenorama
on 5/2/18 11:00 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I had my RNY in 2013 and started getting terrible leg cramps in 2016. I had a chat with my chiropractor and she asked if my calcium supplements had magnesium and they did not. I've been supplementing with magnesium separately since then and my leg cramps have greatly decreased. Sometimes they can get aggravated when I do more walking than usual or have a really tough leg day at the gym, but that's pretty rare.

You're not describing quite the same thing though. Leg cramps definitely feel muscular in nature, so it's concerning that you feel like your pain is much deeper. I second the suggestion to get a DEXA bone density scan and maybe do a 24 hr urine collection test for calcium. Blood draws for calcium will always look fine because your system will leach calcium from your bones. Have you noticed any swelling around your ankles or anything? Excess fluid retention can also cause some pain. Every now and then I'll elevate my feet above my heart by laying on the floor and propping my feet up on the couch for about 10 minutes.

Let us know how things work out!

Jen

Joey1967
on 5/3/18 12:29 pm

Thanks Jen.

These pains just feel like they are in my bone. Not muscular. Thanks so much. Im armed with some questions/demands for my doc! :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 414 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 108 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?