Post Op Fitness Level?

HorseGirl76
on 5/10/18 6:02 am

That's so amazing. This is very encouraging! I've also boxed and done crossfit and would love to get back into some of these activities. It's great to hear that you guys are doing it!

Partlypollyanna
on 5/10/18 5:23 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I've had a regular workout schedule for years pre-op -- I was cleared for lifting (20lb limit) and any non-ab intensive workouts at 3 weeks, it was 11 weeks before full "do anything you want" excercise. Working with a trainer to modify, I was able to keep my muscle mass and really increased my cardio and general endurance. Now that I have free reign, I'm going to be trying some new things that just weren't comfortable 50 lbs ago!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

HorseGirl76
on 5/10/18 6:02 am

Awesome!

HorseGirl76
on 5/10/18 6:11 am

Since we're on the topic of fitness - I had a lump on my knee and finally asked the bariatric practice about it - I'd thought it was a fatty lipoma. Nope. Fluid and probably a sign of arthritis. (No one tells you that you literally start falling apart in the 40s!) The lump was there before I started running and doing squats and high step ups at the gym, so I know that didn't cause it. I've also noticed a minor pain in that knee on inclines especially, and sometimes with running. Fortunately, it's minor but I'd like to prevent it from getting worse.

Does anyone know where I can find a neoprene knee brace in plus sized? The biggest size at Amazon.com is 24 inches. If I'm doing the measurements correctly, 5 inches above my knee is 26" (I bent my knee and rested my foot on an ottoman while I measured).

I'm always frustrated when I can't find exercise equipment in plus girl sizes!!

Thank you all again for sharing your stories. I don't know anyone personally who has had bypass so some things are a big unknown at the moment. I'm starting to think much more positively about this surgery as a tool to help me be healthy for the rest of my life.

ScottAndrews
on 5/10/18 8:57 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Anybody losing a lot of weight is going to lose some muscle mass along with all the fat. That's one reason why protein is so key.

Id look into a personal trainer once you get cleared by your surgeon. Good luck!

SweetRide1
on 5/13/18 5:11 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I got cleared for ALL EXERCISE at 3 months post op. I was walking and using my elliptical prior to being cleared. Since then I've been on a regular work out routine with a personal trainer. I'm doing it all! I'm even rowing 5,000 meters at a time and working up to 10,000.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Partlypollyanna
on 5/13/18 6:45 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I have been thinking about getting a rowing machine; I've heard it's not only good cardio but good for helping to strengthen the upper back and prevent the slump you can get as you age (and keep looking down at phone and iPad screens!). Do you love it?

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

kairosgrammy
on 5/15/18 6:45 pm
RNY on 10/17/17
On May 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Pacific Time, HorseGirl76 wrote:

I'm new to the forum and glad I found it!

My goal in having surgery is to be fit and strong (smaller clothes is just the bonus) and to be able to do activities like horseback riding that I have been too heavy to do. I'm already down about 40 lbs by working with the dietitian at the practice and working out.

My biggest surgery worry is that I'm going to lose muscle. I read that 20% is lost in the first six months. I've been working very hard (walking/running intervals and strength training) to build muscle and it's been key to my weight loss success - it's also key to my goals.

My questions are - In your experience, how long after surgery can you resume intense workouts? (I'll ask my surgeon for clearance, of course)

While living with the bypass are you able to work out intensely? I've discovered that I like running and I've always enjoyed weight lifting.

My fear is that surgery and calorie restrictions will help me lose weight, but at the expense of my desire to be fit and active.

I'm really interested in hearing your fitness success stories to put my mind at ease. :-)

Current stats: 41 y/o, 5' 2", female, starting weight in January 269, currently 227 lbs Planning on surgery this fall

Right now, I can't do weight training due to back issues but I do walk a lot. I get at least 10,000 steps a day at least 5 days a week. I figure that's pretty good for a 66 year old broad!!! You can absolutely weight gain etc after a bypass. I do great energy wise.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404